Hurst cars in Bedford?

Search this Thread

Old 05 December 2016, 01:45 PM
David26
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hurst cars in Bedford?

Hi,
Has anyone on here got a car from hurst cars or had any dealings with them in the past? Just found them on the web whilst looking for my 3rd scoob and wandering what sort of reputation they have if any...

Thanks👍
Old 05 December 2016, 01:50 PM
On-the-bog
Scooby Regular

seems to be mixed reviews about em.
Old 05 December 2016, 02:11 PM
Scooby_Lee101
Scooby Regular

I have first hand experience dealing with max. Although it was 4 years ago. I bought my blobeye from him with 37k on the clock, 20k miles 4 years later I still enjoy my scooby. Never (touch wood) had a issue with mine other than the normal stuff dieing, ie light bulbs and battery.
He is a car dealer, so I pretty much guess he is like no other, but I found him honest and straight to the point.

Regards lee
Old 05 December 2016, 07:52 PM
stiMIGHTYsti
Scooby Regular

Bought my 4th Impreza from Max in august this year. Great bloke, never viewed car till day I hired a car & drove 4.5 hours to collect anything I needed to know he was always there to answer my questions.
Old 05 December 2016, 10:48 PM
BoozyDave
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by On-the-bog
seems to be mixed reviews about em.
Any links to the poor reviews?

Hurst cars are one of the best dealers, not cheap, but the have a selection of some of the best cars avaliable
Old 05 December 2016, 11:24 PM
scoobaholic
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

I bought my car current car from Max at Hurst, too. This was 2 years ago and the car has been solid.
Old 05 December 2016, 11:49 PM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice chap max he bought my S202 of me last year.
Old 06 December 2016, 05:16 AM
I-am-Cos
Scooby Regular

I purchased my latest Impreza from Max earlier this year.

I would have no hesitation in recommending him. Yes, he is a car dealer, but he's honest, knows Subaru's & has a fantastic collection of cars.

Pretty sure you won't have any issues
Old 06 December 2016, 08:43 AM
EndaITR
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 9 Posts

I bought mine from him from over the internet, im in Ireland, he sent tonnes of photos details etc about the car before I bought it and had full confidence to get the car shipped to me without even driving it.. never regretted it ! Was a pleasure to deal with

Prob a good thing I didnt call to his place tho as from what ive seen advertised, he has a serious selection of cars and I prob would have came back severely in debt! ha
Old 06 December 2016, 08:46 AM
On-the-bog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BoozyDave

Hurst cars are one of the best dealers, not cheap, but the have a selection of some of the best cars avaliable
http://www.type-ra.com/subaru-forum/...-so-far.18150/

been following that a a couple of other posts similar. Few things wrong not described and issues found post sale. Then the engine failed after 3k miles

Was also something about an M3 he took in trade and accused the owner who traded it to him of trading it in with a duff gearbox that actually turned out to be his fault for letting the battery go flat. But i can't find a link to that.
Old 06 December 2016, 11:28 PM
Worlasshasansti
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive not read the link but an engine failing after 3k miles could literally happen to anyone at any time, especially with imprezas lol.
Old 07 December 2016, 08:36 AM
On-the-bog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Worlasshasansti
Ive not read the link but an engine failing after 3k miles could literally happen to anyone at any time, especially with imprezas lol.
Was totaly worn out so it says in the thread, don't think the OP blames him cos it was running ok when it was picked up, but there were a few hidden issue.
Old 07 December 2016, 11:33 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

http://www.type-ra.com/subaru-forum/...-so-far.18150/

been following that a a couple of other posts similar. Few things wrong not described and issues found post sale. Then the engine failed after 3k miles

Was also something about an M3 he took in trade and accused the owner who traded it to him of trading it in with a duff gearbox that actually turned out to be his fault for letting the battery go flat. But i can't find a link to that.
Reading the first page of that thread, he took someone with him to check the car out then stuck it on the dyno where it was given a clean bill of health engine wise with no detting or funny noises found. Rocker cover gaskets and rear crank seal required about which he came to an agreement with Max.

Sounds fair enough to me, then the lad has had 3k miles of being a weekend hooligan in the car and the bearings have let go, could happen to any of us.

Just tuff titty and the way it goes with these cars, but I guess that's not sensationalist enough for Scooby Net.

As for the totally worn out part, it's a 100k mile 16yr old classic and he spanked it for 3k I think he did pretty well.

Last edited by ditchmyster; 07 December 2016 at 11:36 AM.
Old 07 December 2016, 11:33 AM
sti-chris
Scooby Regular

I had a bit of an experience which put me off buying from Max about 3 months ago.

There was 3 cars I was interested in and I chatted back and forth about them and what was going to work out best for me, A silver 05 STi JDM which was described as immaculate and one of the best he has seen and a one owner car, Sounded Perfect.
The the next day the same conversation on the same car where I was told he had sold it before but the guy brought it back after 3 days saying he couldn't afford to insure or run the car, and when it came back he has to sort out an oil leak and something from the steering rack. I'm thinking okay So its not a one owner car now as I would be the second UK owner and why didn't you tell me about this yesterday when we spoke on the phone for around 40 minutes.

I thought about this over night and decided on my way to work the next morning Id call him and put down a deposit despite the issues.

Called up with my bank card in hand and was told that he had another person interested in the car and wanted to give them the first shout in buying it as they seemed keen, So I'm stood ready to make the sale and gets told that he will call me back. Anyways 2 hours later the phone rings and I'm told he has a deposit on the car and is there anything else in his stock pile I'd like to buy.

I'm a bit of a believer if its not ment to be then it won't be, So we then chatted about a Blue 03 STi JDM

He described this as a one owner immaculate car again one of the best he has seen and then a sales pitch about how he has has had many Subaru's but this one is a bit of a gem.
He went on to say that he has been using the car the last few weeks and absolutely loves the car and cant fault it in any ways mechanically or externally.

I said okay this car sounds perfect ( AGAIN ) now before I get my bank card to put down a deposit lets do another walk round and tell me about any imperfections in the paint or minor dents and so forth.

This car then went from being immaculate to having several dents some damage to the rear bumper and a very faint bit of rust staring along the top of the front wind screen.
I'm now at the stage thinking walk away just walk away.

So giving the benefit of the doubt I asked for a picture of the rust along the top of the windscreen as I know this is a Subaru killer.
I receive the pictures as requested of the damage and still have those but I don't think its right to post them but this was bubbling the full length of the window end to end and had certainly not just started to rot.

Max Is a car sales man and deals specifically in these cars, My personal experience in trying to get a car from him was not great and in respect of that I would not buy from him.
The cars are all described as the best of the best but it was always on the second or third call you get to find out about the bad points which is relay what you want to know right away to save wasting both your time.

I'm very confident and extremely sure there will be many among us who have purchased and are hugely satisfied with there car and it worked out fine, personally for me and only in my experience he did not meet with my expectations.

Oh just noticed The car is still on his website today

http://www.hurstcars.co.uk/used-cars...01609258105752

Last edited by sti-chris; 07 December 2016 at 11:37 AM. Reason: typo
Old 07 December 2016, 11:43 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by ditchmyster

Just tuff titty and the way it goes with these cars
I've just asked a company to start looking for a Type R to import for me. I know there are one or two available at the moment in the UK but I don't like the look of them.

Old Impreza's probably shouldn't be bought by those that can't spot a lemon. That said, even a "Minty Mc Mint Face" could go pop - not used to the fuel, not used to being derestricted, sat about for months then asked to perform.

I'd be tempted to work on the basis that it isn't really the dealers fault if the car lets go - it's a completely unknown imported car with usually patchy history. You might get a warranty offered but if something serious happens you end up in a fight over whether you drove it like miss daisy or peter solberg.

I'd rather pay a lower amount for no warranty and take my chances then pay extra for a warranty that is more that likely a complete waste of time.

edit - I suspect absolving the dealer of all responsibility might be a step too far. Might even eat my words if my purchase goes sour

Last edited by EddScott; 07 December 2016 at 11:46 AM.
Old 07 December 2016, 11:52 AM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by sti-chris
I had a bit of an experience which put me off buying from Max about 3 months ago.

There was 3 cars I was interested in and I chatted back and forth about them and what was going to work out best for me, A silver 05 STi JDM which was described as immaculate and one of the best he has seen and a one owner car, Sounded Perfect.
The the next day the same conversation on the same car where I was told he had sold it before but the guy brought it back after 3 days saying he couldn't afford to insure or run the car, and when it came back he has to sort out an oil leak and something from the steering rack. I'm thinking okay So its not a one owner car now as I would be the second UK owner and why didn't you tell me about this yesterday when we spoke on the phone for around 40 minutes.

I thought about this over night and decided on my way to work the next morning Id call him and put down a deposit despite the issues.

Called up with my bank card in hand and was told that he had another person interested in the car and wanted to give them the first shout in buying it as they seemed keen, So I'm stood ready to make the sale and gets told that he will call me back. Anyways 2 hours later the phone rings and I'm told he has a deposit on the car and is there anything else in his stock pile I'd like to buy.

I'm a bit of a believer if its not ment to be then it won't be, So we then chatted about a Blue 03 STi JDM

He described this as a one owner immaculate car again one of the best he has seen and then a sales pitch about how he has has had many Subaru's but this one is a bit of a gem.
He went on to say that he has been using the car the last few weeks and absolutely loves the car and cant fault it in any ways mechanically or externally.

I said okay this car sounds perfect ( AGAIN ) now before I get my bank card to put down a deposit lets do another walk round and tell me about any imperfections in the paint or minor dents and so forth.

This car then went from being immaculate to having several dents some damage to the rear bumper and a very faint bit of rust staring along the top of the front wind screen.
I'm now at the stage thinking walk away just walk away.

So giving the benefit of the doubt I asked for a picture of the rust along the top of the windscreen as I know this is a Subaru killer.
I receive the pictures as requested of the damage and still have those but I don't think its right to post them but this was bubbling the full length of the window end to end and had certainly not just started to rot.

Max Is a car sales man and deals specifically in these cars, My personal experience in trying to get a car from him was not great and in respect of that I would not buy from him.
The cars are all described as the best of the best but it was always on the second or third call you get to find out about the bad points which is relay what you want to know right away to save wasting both your time.

I'm very confident and extremely sure there will be many among us who have purchased and are hugely satisfied with there car and it worked out fine, personally for me and only in my experience he did not meet with my expectations.

Oh just noticed The car is still on his website today

http://www.hurstcars.co.uk/used-cars...01609258105752

To be fair, I don't think I'd advise placing a deposit on a car I've never seen, certainly from a dealer. They are in the business of selling cars, after all. They do have a nice selection usually though, so I can see why you would be keen to get hold of one. Prices seem a little optimistic though, anyone managed to haggle much of a discount or do they not leave much wiggle room?
Old 07 December 2016, 12:04 PM
wrx_driver
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BoozyDave

http://www.type-ra.com/subaru-forum/...-r-2007.18929/
Old 07 December 2016, 12:08 PM
On-the-bog
Scooby Regular

need to be a member to see the link
Old 07 December 2016, 01:24 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

Historically there were bad experiences, mostly glowing reviews in recent years from what I've read
Old 07 December 2016, 05:32 PM
Bluey82
Scooby Regular

Guess it’s my turn to put it out there how bad my experience was with Hurst cars – Max…Long one so take your time to read it.
After putting a deposit with Max, went to pick up the car a week later…Max didn’t turn up and some random dude appears…He couldn’t get inside the facility…when he finally managed to get in, he couldn’t find the car keys…so not a good start…Called Max and didn’t even apologised…only said he was away and had to send that guy to finalise the deal…Not good imo but I decided to go ahead as already had the deposit down.

Stereo not working…he said it was broken and wasn’t going to fix it…this was not on the advert…or ever mentioned until I tried to switch it on.

Boot leaking…Never mentioned on advert or during sale…Max said it was a £5 fix so we deducted £5 from the price.

Oil sump pan rusted to the point it needed replacing…How can you sell a car with such an issue?

Rear suspension knocking…Not mentioned ever until I noticed…Max said it’s a regular thing that has no fix…I later discovered that it has a fix…Lied so that I didn’t have leverage to negotiate price.

Now the cream on top of the cake…front brake discs was missing chunks of the discs…actual holes and massive chunks missing…Max said during the sale that he himself drove the car and checked it and it drove superb and it was immaculate…Obviously it wasn’t as after picking up the car and on my way back home almost had an accident as brakes didn’t work.

He said the car only needed new pads and brakes to be bled…Im thinking, hold on a second, didn’t you said you drove the car and checked it? He gave me £100 back for new pads and apologised saying actually it wasn’t him who drove and checked the car but someone else…So he lied again.

When I went to fit the new pads was when I saw that the discs was in such a state that there was holes in them and chunks missing…I called him and told him what happened…he was not happy and becomes super aggressive on the phone…im thinking, what did I do wrong? I just paid premium price for something that clearly wasn’t premium plus I could have had a serious accident and get seriously hurt in the condition that those brakes and discs was after him telling me he drove the car and it was in impeccable condition.

Called him again and tried to reason with him and to get things sorted and fixed…He started arguing with me and hangs up the phone on my face…Again, what in the world did I do wrong?

Finally managed to get him to change the discs and change the rear suspension.
When the car came back I went to my mechanic and a retaining pin was missing from the caliper…
The rubber that sits between the suspension and the top was missing on the rear suspension.

All in all, a person never to see again in my life I hope.
I did a few mistakes here for sure….never had a Subaru before and became obsessed with the 1st one I saw..Went with the reviews I read about Hurst and how completely wrong I was. Lesson learned and car in immaculate condition now as it was supposed to be when bought but to all my cost.

Last edited by Bluey82; 07 December 2016 at 05:34 PM.
Old 07 December 2016, 07:25 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott
I've just asked a company to start looking for a Type R to import for me. I know there are one or two available at the moment in the UK but I don't like the look of them.

Old Impreza's probably shouldn't be bought by those that can't spot a lemon. That said, even a "Minty Mc Mint Face" could go pop - not used to the fuel, not used to being derestricted, sat about for months then asked to perform.

I'd be tempted to work on the basis that it isn't really the dealers fault if the car lets go - it's a completely unknown imported car with usually patchy history. You might get a warranty offered but if something serious happens you end up in a fight over whether you drove it like miss daisy or peter solberg.

I'd rather pay a lower amount for no warranty and take my chances then pay extra for a warranty that is more that likely a complete waste of time.

edit - I suspect absolving the dealer of all responsibility might be a step too far. Might even eat my words if my purchase goes sour
My opinion is that we're talking about 2nd to 10 hand cars cars that are a minimum of 12years old upto 20yrs old, seems to me like some people need to learn to manage their expectations a little better.

The very nature of these things is that they are used and abused then handed on to the next person, issues arise, it's normal, what these issues will be only god knows. It's why I always say I don't care about history or paperwork, it's meaningless in reality, all it shows you is how much the car has cost other people, it's not a guarantee of anything.

Mechanical things have a nasty habit of breaking which is why one should always have a contingency fund.

P.S I have nothing to do with max and have never bought a car off him, I just like to inject a small amount of realism into the conversation.
Old 07 December 2016, 07:28 PM
On-the-bog
Scooby Regular

My opinion is that we're talking about 2nd to 10 hand cars cars that are a minimum of 12years old upto 20yrs old, seems to me like some people need to learn to manage their expectations a little better.

The very nature of these things is that they are used and abused then handed on to the next person, issues arise, it's normal, what these issues will be only god knows. It's why I always say I don't care about history or paperwork, it's meaningless in reality, all it shows you is how much the car has cost other people, it's not a guarantee of anything.

Mechanical things have a nasty habit of breaking which is why one should always have a contingency fund.

P.S I have nothing to do with max and have never bought a car off him, I just like to inject a small amount of realism into the conversation.
I would say alot depends on description. If its described as mint and in good mechanical condition, which it obviously wasn't, then its a bit naughty.
Old 07 December 2016, 07:34 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

I would say alot depends on description. If its described as mint and in good mechanical condition, which it obviously wasn't, then its a bit naughty.
I'd agree, but one mans little princess is another mans kok sucking ho.
Old 07 December 2016, 07:39 PM
On-the-bog
Scooby Regular

I'd agree, but one mans little princess is another mans kok sucking ho.
easy there ting tong,,,

Old 07 December 2016, 07:48 PM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pretty sure these motors are 10 years plus!
Old 07 December 2016, 08:24 PM
johned
Scooby Regular

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

How can any used car be mint.
Old 07 December 2016, 08:35 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Only one question do we hold private sellers and traders to different standards?
Old 07 December 2016, 08:41 PM
On-the-bog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by banny sti
Only one question do we hold private sellers and traders to different standards?
I would say you expect more from a trader as they price cars higher.

But you expect accurate descriptions from both. You'd expect scratches and odd small parking dents not mentioned heavily given the age of the car, but you would expect decent mechanical condition. No fluid leaks, no major mechanical faults. Unless the description says otherwise of course.

Last edited by On-the-bog; 07 December 2016 at 08:43 PM.
Old 07 December 2016, 08:42 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by juggers
Pretty sure these motors are 10 years plus!
LOL my newest vehicle is 21yrs old and the others are 31yrs old which is my fixer upper and my daily is 33yrs old recently changed a gearbox on my daily and 3 weeks later burst a water hose to the heater which I've just fixed.

Goes with the territory, I expect things to go wrong, it's the nature of cars, even new ones have problems.
Old 07 December 2016, 10:04 PM
BoozyDave
Scooby Regular

Was totaly worn out so it says in the thread, don't think the OP blames him cos it was running ok when it was picked up, but there were a few hidden issue.
So Tidgy didn't blame Hurst cars, but you do?????