Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone fitted a short shift to a blob?

Search this Thread

Old 20 August 2016, 03:01 PM
john_d
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default anyone fitted a short shift to a blob?

drove my m8's who has 1 (on when he bought it) and like how it felt, i know the throw isnt huge as standard but it just felt better, so is it a hard job to do?

thanks
Old 20 August 2016, 10:54 PM
modrich
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I take it this is for a 5sp WRX? Fitted the Prodrive version to my Blob WRX and love it, the best short shifter I've fitted on any car because it actually works perfectly and doesn't have any drawbacks like being hard to shift etc.

It is quite involved as the linkage is accessed from under the car and the job is easier if the centre exhaust section is removed, did mine at the same time as changing the exhaust. Also worth fitting uprated shifter bushes as this takes any slop out of the mechanism.

See my post here: https://www.scoobynet.com/1004847-fo...l#post11506047
Old 20 August 2016, 11:30 PM
imprezagaz
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Worth doing the bushes as performance do in a set.
Old 21 August 2016, 09:02 PM
john_d
Scooby Regular

yeah its a 5 speed wrx, where can i get the uprated bushes?
Old 21 August 2016, 09:13 PM
modrich
Scooby Regular

it's all in the post john
Old 21 August 2016, 09:38 PM
cam87
Scooby Regular

i have a perrin on my sti with a 40% or so reduction and love it. i got it from scoobyclinc online, not expensive either. I didnt fit it but i believe it can be done in 90 min.
Old 21 August 2016, 09:46 PM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

Received 77 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by cam87
i have a perrin on my sti with a 40% or so reduction and love it. i got it from scoobyclinc online, not expensive either. I didnt fit it but i believe it can be done in 90 min.
Been thinking about fitting one to my blobeye sti.

Whats best setup to go for.

Also what shift bushings usually get replaced. Best do it all at once as i plan to do my nuetral position switch

Trending Topics

Old 22 August 2016, 06:56 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SmurfyBhoy
Been thinking about fitting one to my blobeye sti.

Whats best setup to go for.

Also what shift bushings usually get replaced. Best do it all at once as i plan to do my nuetral position switch
I was considering this. But after speaking to someone in the k ow about them who fitted one for a day and removed it immediately I won't be wasting the money on one.

Maybe for day to day stuff where fast shifts aren't required (which defeats the whole point of it) it would be okay.

But for race situations on a blob eye box it was causing serious issues with missed gears on fast changes and popping out of gear etc.
Old 22 August 2016, 08:49 AM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JGlanzaV
I was considering this. But after speaking to someone in the k ow about them who fitted one for a day and removed it immediately I won't be wasting the money on one.

Maybe for day to day stuff where fast shifts aren't required (which defeats the whole point of it) it would be okay.

But for race situations on a blob eye box it was causing serious issues with missed gears on fast changes and popping out of gear etc.
Okay, so short shifters now off the list lol, what about the bushes what ones should be replaced ?
Old 22 August 2016, 08:50 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Okay, so short shifters now off the list lol, what about the bushes what ones should be replaced ?
As performance do the whole kit. Give Alyn a shout. They are about 70quid iirc. Night and day difference....
Old 22 August 2016, 11:25 AM
modrich
Scooby Regular

Sounds like either poor fitting or cheap short shifter, there are adjustable versions available as well so maybe not set-up correctly? Mine is a Prodrive version which is perfect.

You'll be missing one of the best mods I've done in that case...
Old 22 August 2016, 11:28 AM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by modrich
Sounds like either poor fitting or cheap short shifter, there are adjustable versions available as well so maybe not set-up correctly? Mine is a Prodrive version which is perfect.

You'll be missing one of the best mods I've done in that case...
I may be wrong but as my car started as a prodrive sti, would it be any different ?

Or is the Prodrive one for wrx shorter again,
Old 22 August 2016, 11:38 AM
modrich
Scooby Regular

Prodrive STi didn't have short shifter as standard from memory, so same as any other STi.

You could get a Prodrive short shift for both 5sp (WRX & classic STi) and 6sp (newage STi) but 6sp is slightly different and only available used now obviously. There will be some other after market ones, CDF Racing version is supposed to a good one and is adjustable.

I would also speak to AS Performance as that's where I got all the bushes etc from, they may even recommend a short shifter for you or even make their own.
Old 22 August 2016, 11:50 AM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by modrich
Prodrive STi didn't have short shifter as standard from memory, so same as any other STi.

You could get a Prodrive short shift for both 5sp (WRX & classic STi) and 6sp (newage STi) but 6sp is slightly different and only available used now obviously. There will be some other after market ones, CDF Racing version is supposed to a good one and is adjustable.

I would also speak to AS Performance as that's where I got all the bushes etc from, they may even recommend a short shifter for you or even make their own.
Nice one, I just assumed when u says podrive that it would have been on the prodrive cars, will contact AS and let know how i get on
Old 22 August 2016, 12:19 PM
cam87
Scooby Regular

Can't say I've had any issues with it. I have the powerflex shifter front bush and the group n bracket mount.
Old 22 August 2016, 12:21 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Someone in the know..??? If he was in the 'know' surely he knew it was going to be **** before fitting it??

That's where you go wrong J, you're probably a nice chap but you take snippets of info from others and then jumble it up and post in here...
Maybe your chap didn't have a good quality one, or it was ill fitted, or maybe he just didn't get on with the shorter throw. That doesn't mean all short shifters are crap or that others won't get on with them.

Maybe try one for yourself, if you don't like it then you can post your experience rather than someone else's
Old 22 August 2016, 12:25 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Op...

If you do go for one then I'd avoid the likes of ebays cheaper options. I tried one from there and didn't get on well with it. The fit was poor and the throw was less smooth than the original sti 3 one that it replaced.

There are dearer options out there that I'm sure will work better but I sold the car before trying another.
Old 22 August 2016, 02:10 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattyB1983
Someone in the know..??? If he was in the 'know' surely he knew it was going to be **** before fitting it??

That's where you go wrong J, you're probably a nice chap but you take snippets of info from others and then jumble it up and post in here...
Maybe your chap didn't have a good quality one, or it was ill fitted, or maybe he just didn't get on with the shorter throw. That doesn't mean all short shifters are crap or that others won't get on with them.

Maybe try one for yourself, if you don't like it then you can post your experience rather than someone else's
I would take Martyn Jeffery's advice over anyone's on here. He has now removed his short shifter as I was there when it was fitted and again after it was removed and we had an in depth conversation about it as I was going to fit one for my car based on if he thought it was any good or not.

I doubt very few people on here shift as hard or as fast as he does. To be honest, I do my own research and I dont follow the crowd, I'm not one for modifying for the sake of modifying.....

I would have given one a go but I honestly don't think it would give a measurable difference to the driving experience and if fast shifting causes issues with it would probably detract from the benefits..... I bet it doesn't make a car any faster up the strip, nor any faster round a corner, it may feel a bit better or it may not, it's subjective. Personally I find the gear shift pretty short as it is and would rather spend the money on something that would make the car faster....

And that is the entire point Matty, most people here post experiences and because mine doesn't fit in with the crowd it doesn't make it wrong. I never mentioned all short shifters, but I personally wouldn't want one. On a subjective thing like this there is no right or wrong, and having been modifying cars for a while now I k ow what does and does not work for me, I agreed with Martyn assessment and would not pick one for my car. It's up to each member to decide if it suits their style to have one, I just provided a flip side.... following the crowd is boring,

Last edited by JGlanzaV; 22 August 2016 at 02:14 PM.
Old 22 August 2016, 03:10 PM
modrich
Scooby Regular

Can't comment on Martyn Jeffery's case as details seem very sketchy to me and do not reflect my experience.

If a gearbox is quite notchy then a short shift will exaggerate this and make it feel worse as it's all down to leverage, a short throw reduces throw by reducing leverage.

I have tried short shifts on a few cars and some just don't take well to them particularly cable operated boxes like on the Golf MK5 Edition 30 I had (was ok but quite notchy). The one I fitted to a B7 RS4 was a waste of time as it took an age to set-up and was still very notchy and detracted from the driving experience.

Thankfully Subaru gearboxes are a proper solid linkage which makes them a great box to add a short shift to, but my advice would be, if the gearbox is old/worn and difficult to select some gears do not fit a short shift. Other than that, fit a good one and enjoy it. I did and love it!

Last edited by modrich; 22 August 2016 at 03:11 PM.
Old 22 August 2016, 03:37 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Dont know about the blob as I haven't owned one, but I do have a B&M quick shift kit fitted to my classic - it does change the feel of each change, and once you get used to that, gear selection feels more precise but takes a little more force - effort to change as opposed to having to slam it into gear. I doubt it would trim much if anything off a quarter mile time, but it doesn't detract or degrade from the driving experience, I therefore considered it a worthwhile modification.
Old 22 August 2016, 08:19 PM
imprezagaz
Scooby Regular

The ones from as performance come with a pair for the top, and 2 smaller and 1 big pair for underneath. Feels a lot tighter on my blob sti
Old 22 August 2016, 09:26 PM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by imprezagaz
The ones from as performance come with a pair for the top, and 2 smaller and 1 big pair for underneath. Feels a lot tighter on my blob sti
Thanks mate. Did u fit em yourself
Old 22 August 2016, 10:03 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

I would take Martyn Jeffery's advice over anyone's on here. He has now removed his short shifter as I was there when it was fitted and again after it was removed and we had an in depth conversation about it as I was going to fit one for my car based on if he thought it was any good or not.

I doubt very few people on here shift as hard or as fast as he does. To be honest, I do my own research and I dont follow the crowd, I'm not one for modifying for the sake of modifying.....

I would have given one a go but I honestly don't think it would give a measurable difference to the driving experience and if fast shifting causes issues with it would probably detract from the benefits..... I bet it doesn't make a car any faster up the strip, nor any faster round a corner, it may feel a bit better or it may not, it's subjective. Personally I find the gear shift pretty short as it is and would rather spend the money on something that would make the car faster....

And that is the entire point Matty, most people here post experiences and because mine doesn't fit in with the crowd it doesn't make it wrong. I never mentioned all short shifters, but I personally wouldn't want one. On a subjective thing like this there is no right or wrong, and having been modifying cars for a while now I k ow what does and does not work for me, I agreed with Martyn assessment and would not pick one for my car. It's up to each member to decide if it suits their style to have one, I just provided a flip side.... following the crowd is boring,

But if your hero had said he'd liked it you would of bought one yes ????
Old 22 August 2016, 10:24 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

I was with martyn at totb when he was having shifting issues, he fitted a gfb shifter to a 6 speed! (I did tell him wtf you fitted that for lol)
IMO a 6 speed dosent need a short shifter, only 5 speeds would benifit from 1.
6 speed just uprated the bush and linkage uj's.
Old 22 August 2016, 11:02 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs
I was with martyn at totb when he was having shifting issues, he fitted a gfb shifter to a 6 speed! (I did tell him wtf you fitted that for lol)
IMO a 6 speed dosent need a short shifter, only 5 speeds would benifit from 1.
6 speed just uprated the bush and linkage uj's.
But he's 'in the know' about shifters apparently.....
Old 23 August 2016, 06:17 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

More in the know than you

Considering he does it for a living driving and testing all these bits out..... but it's okay, people like his opinions obviously aren't worth listening to.....
Old 23 August 2016, 06:46 AM
imprezagaz
Scooby Regular

Thanks mate. Did u fit em yourself
Yeah did them myself mate. The worst part was getting the bolt out the nuckle part. I just dropped the box slightly to get it out.
Old 23 August 2016, 08:12 AM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

He was testing it and didn't like it, that's about it really.
He was having crunch issues from 4th to 5th also which is common on 6 speeds (i have concoured a way todo that without a crunch).
He didn't prefer it really, not to say that other people won't as some will prefer it so without actually testing you will never know, I think think the 6 speed has a short enough throw and wouldn't personally want it any shorter
Old 23 August 2016, 10:54 AM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

More in the know than you

Considering he does it for a living driving and testing all these bits out..... but it's okay, people like his opinions obviously aren't worth listening to.....

Agreed, he's far more knowledgeable than me. The work him and his father do is fantastic from what I've seen. Your car is testament to that, I rate your car highly by the way.
His opinion ofcourse counts, but your post wasn't his opinion.
The thing with you is we get a part of the story, or a mixed up account of things.

You started with ' after speaking to someone in the know who didn't like it etc etc, they're crap etc etc, I wouldn't fit one etc etc'...

How does that help anyone?? They obviously do work in some applications as seen from other posts in this thread.

Just chill J, you post like everyone is out to get you. Like I said, you're probably a decent chap but your poor advice infuriates me. And then when someone pulls you up on it you argue the toss...
Maybe i jumped on you a bit sharpish on this thread so I apologise for that, I just always get the feeling from your posts that if you ain't got it then it ain't worth having or if you have got it then it's the best thing available...just boils my **** that's all...

Last edited by MattyB1983; 23 August 2016 at 11:09 AM.
Old 23 August 2016, 11:33 AM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Agreed, he's far more knowledgeable than me. The work him and his father do is fantastic from what I've seen. Your car is testament to that, I rate your car highly by the way.
His opinion ofcourse counts, but your post wasn't his opinion.
The thing with you is we get a part of the story, or a mixed up account of things.

You started with ' after speaking to someone in the know who didn't like it etc etc, they're crap etc etc, I wouldn't fit one etc etc'...

How does that help anyone?? They obviously do work in some applications as seen from other posts in this thread.

Just chill J, you post like everyone is out to get you. Like I said, you're probably a decent chap but your poor advice infuriates me. And then when someone pulls you up on it you argue the toss...
Maybe i jumped on you a bit sharpish on this thread so I apologise for that, I just always get the feeling from your posts that if you ain't got it then it ain't worth having or if you have got it then it's the best thing available...just boils my **** that's all...
Last few parts sums it up for me, hence i go at him and he thinks why.