Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Cheap Legacy wagon as a 2nd car? (4th Gen)

Search this Thread

Old 05 August 2016, 09:19 AM
agw_01
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheap Legacy wagon as a 2nd car? (4th Gen)

Having just come back from a week away with the gf and 3 kids and I couldn't help but notice just how cramped the car was (not to mention the constant fear of finding chocolate on the seats). It got me thinking about getting a cheap 2nd car to use instead (along with tip runs, carting the bikes around on days out etc).

Youngest is 10 months at the moment so his travel cot and buggy take up a large portion of the space in the boot.

A quick scour on eBay shows me 05/06 Legacy 2.0 Autos for around £1500-£2000. I won't lie, I did look at WRX wagons but I know I won't be able to resist modding it.

What's the Legacy like at this end of the market? Is the Auto worth staying away from? I prefer manual but just thinking about what this car will be used for.

I can't fault either of my Imprezas for reliablilty/running costs and even while my Mrs would love I sell my STi for a Focus diesel... it's not going to happen
Old 05 August 2016, 09:46 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I am now into my second Legacy Wagon, they have been faultless and a better built than the Impreza or Forester I have owned. There are problems but they are generally very reliable, Gen IV is the best to go for.

For sensible answers go here.

http://www.uklegacy.com/forums/index.php
Old 05 August 2016, 03:10 PM
Jonny Park
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My first Subaru was a leggy gtb wagon.
Was perfect battle bus as a second car.Don't suppose any older Subaru is gonna be great on fuel which would be my only concern if doing space shuttle miles.
Old 05 August 2016, 07:21 PM
agw_01
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys, the more I look into them the more I'm impressed by the levels of kit. Heated seats, cruise control, more space, big boot... all the nice bits that I'd love in my STi. My concern is that, even though I'm very handy with a spanner, I don't want to buy a car at this price point if it's going to end up being a lemon.

Saying that, I only paid £3k for my old WRX, did 30,000 miles in it and it was faultless.

The car won't be doing mega miles, I'd happily make do with the STi and pay the fuel/running costs but I want to try and keep it as clean and tidy as I can... and that means keeping chocolate covered hands well away

Last edited by agw_01; 05 August 2016 at 07:23 PM.
Old 05 August 2016, 08:07 PM
Skoobie Dhu
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a 97 BG5 for a couple of years as a runabout, bought as a winter car but ended up using it all the time while my STi3 sat in the garage. Loved the GTB, loads of space, surprisingly quick, and a complete Q car.

That was 10 years ago now - but I recently decided I wanted another estate to run around in till I decide what to get next. Needed to be good spec, quick, and reliable - so I bought a Saab aero estate😳 It's a 56 plate and cost £2.5k - I'd love another GTB but a similar age is closer to £10k.

Now I have my runaround I have time to think about what's next - possibly even look to import a GTB myself.

Working on ensuring the Saab is reliable for another 30k miles - but you get a lot of car for the cash - see the 'other marques' section where you'll find some pics.
Old 05 August 2016, 09:41 PM
Jonny Park
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A mate of mine has just bought an 08 plate Saab for 3k & it is a massive amount of car for the money.Someone has taken one hell of a hit on it from its new price.
Old 05 August 2016, 09:50 PM
agw_01
Scooby Regular

Good point on the Saabs. I'm not dead set on a Legacy so maybe it's the perfect opportunity to try something a bit different. Whatever it is will definitely be an estate/wagon, never had one and love the idea of them being so practical without having some massive SUV parked outside.

Keep the suggestions coming though. Needs to be fairly woman friendly as the Mrs will use it mainly as well as it being the holiday/day trip/tip run car like I said.
Old 06 August 2016, 05:16 PM
Cambs_Stuart
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by agw_01
Good point on the Saabs. I'm not dead set on a Legacy so maybe it's the perfect opportunity to try something a bit different. Whatever it is will definitely be an estate/wagon, never had one and love the idea of them being so practical without having some massive SUV parked outside.

Keep the suggestions coming though. Needs to be fairly woman friendly as the Mrs will use it mainly as well as it being the holiday/day trip/tip run car like I said.
We've got a few pool cars at work and I was surprised by how good the volvo V70 d5 was. I'm never going to want to track one or take it for a b road trip, but it was pleasant to drive, quiet, comfy heated seats, well thought out (if plain) interior and loads of space. This pool car has done 170k and hasn't missed a beat despite not always being driven in a sympathetic manner.
The fact that the police use them is a good endorsement in my books.
Old 06 August 2016, 05:58 PM
stamina_daddy
Scooby Regular

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by agw_01

I got an 06 plate mazda 6 estate, 120k,6 speed manual.
The car drives like new and it must of been a motorway muncher because the interior is immaculate.
I got an absolute bargain and paid the guy 900 quid.he had it up for more but it just didn't sell over a couple of weeks on eBay.
It is a 2.0 petrol and some of these mazda suffer very bad rusty arches but this one is fine.
I'm fine with petrol now but I think a lot of people are seeing the German diesel estate cars as the top of the tree which drives there prices up and leaves the Japanese estates at a lot less money.
Old 07 August 2016, 06:19 PM
stealthbomber
Scooby Regular

V70 volvo is an option. I'm looking to get the wife one next year for her to commute in and for the odd holiday trip with our boy. Looks a lot of car for the money. I am keeping my eye on a4 avant slines and legacys too but it will probably come down to whats available and affordable at the time.
Old 07 August 2016, 07:53 PM
Cambs_Stuart
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stealthbomber
V70 volvo is an option. I'm looking to get the wife one next year for her to commute in and for the odd holiday trip with our boy. Looks a lot of car for the money. I am keeping my eye on a4 avant slines and legacys too but it will probably come down to whats available and affordable at the time.
I've just seen there is a 280 hp 3.0 awd version, the T6. Looks like a good sleeper.