Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warning light on 2001 WRX

Search this Thread

Old 11 June 2002, 09:58 AM
hughjayteens
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My old man just picked up a 2001 WRX (has full Scoobysport exhaust and K&N filter IIRC) , belgian import last week from an ex official Scooby dealer, with 2 years plus of warranty left, but the other day and orange light came on with an engine picture on it as he was cruising at 70 (?) on the M Way.

It went off after an hour or so and when he called the dealer they said they had seen a few that had done that but it usually rectified itself pretty quickly - Any idea what this is and is it anything to worry about??

Cheers
Old 11 June 2002, 10:08 AM
Makalu
Scooby Regular

Thats the ejector seat warning light... pah! You Newbies... ;o)

Seriously though, if it happens again - take it to a dealer to be hooked up on their diagnostic equipment to find out for sure. It usually referes to something nasty or an electronics problem.

I had a similar light come on in my Honda Type R after the battery went flat (left lights on!) and the 'system' didnt like being started up by a charge from an RAC guy's truck. Went off after a few miles driving and a couple of engine re-starts (diagnostic system reboots!)
Mak.
Old 11 June 2002, 10:48 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Talking

Do you know if the little electronic box of tricks was fitted when the Scoobysport exhaust was fitted? On the new WRX, there are a number of sensors in the exhaust. If they detect higher emissions (i.e. when you remove the cats) it will bring on the 'check engine' warning lamp.

You say you've got a full Scoobysport exhaust, so this sounds like the most likely cause. Take it down to Scoobysport and they can run a diagnostic check. If that is the reason, they can fit a small circuit board onto the engine management system to fool the sensors and stop the check engine light coming on. Cost is about £50 and I know it works 'cause I've got one on my car

Chris
Old 11 June 2002, 11:12 AM
beefola
Scooby Regular

Exactly the same thing happened to may mate (ADP on Scoobynet) last week. He tried to find out about it. I'll get him to mail you with details.
Old 11 June 2002, 11:15 AM
hughjayteens
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers all - Any more info much appreciated.....
Old 11 June 2002, 11:28 AM
ADP
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Yes indeedy - dont **** yourself(like me) its unlikely to be anything major - when I did it was cos I hit the rev limiter by accident -and was a naughty boy light basically, easily fixed in 2 mins at a scoob garage

thread here on it all:

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...hreadid=102237

think you can also fix it yourself by starting and stopping the car ie fire up turn off 3 times, and I think it clears it.

andy
Old 11 June 2002, 12:53 PM
BugEyed
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I don't think that your Dad has got the same problem as Andy had. The Cam Position Sensor problem normally only comes on when you give it a lot of revs (at lower revs the problem isn't picked up). You said that your Dad was doing 70 () on the Motorway, so unless he was in second he wouldn't have been pulling too many revs.

Chucksters' diagnosis is more likely to be correct - the problem is more likely to be related to the cats being removed by changing to the Scoobysport exhaust. The check for cat efficiency is most likely to pick up a problem at constant(ish) speed cruising, so this is probably the cause.

Best advice is to take it back to the dealer and get them to pull the error code from the ECU. They can do this whether or not the light is still on as the ECU has a long term memory for the error codes. If it is a cat efficiency error code, do as Chris suggested and find out whether the car has been fitted with the electronic fix box from Scoobysport (you'll find it wired into the harness next to the ECU if it is fitted). If you've got one it might have failed, if you haven't then get one!

Finally, if the error isn't the cat it might be caused by a low EGT problem, but these are normally only a problem on cars with a changed uppipe.

Happy hunting!

Duncan