Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Living with the new age Impreza

Search this Thread

Old 14 May 2001, 08:28 PM
wr rex
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi like to hear from anyone that has the new WRX, I pick my new one up in 8 weeks, What is it like as an everyday car, I do a lot of stop/starts for work?
Any other info would be great
Cheers
WR REX
Old 14 May 2001, 09:06 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Hi
Had mine since feb and done nearly 5k

With normal day to day driving

I love it

Its rumoured that at 4.5k it suddenly gets better

Well I am not sure if thats actually the case but it does seem to improve day by day

Are you considering any Mods

I have ordered Morrettes from Scoobysport

After having SS CIBIES and about a grands worth of ICE upgrading
Old 14 May 2001, 09:08 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Cool

I own a classic shape WRX but the same stuff applies. Always let the engine warm up before you give it high revs and let it cool down and idle after a run.

People will look at you standing outside your car with the engine running but they dont understand [ ]. You could fit a turbo timer but I am not brave enough to walk away from my car with the engine running.

Start stop are not good as your fuel bill will be massive. There is a lot of rubbish written about mpg if you get more than 25mpg you are doing well, or not using the turbo [ ]. SUL tends to make the car smoother and gives better mpg. SUL is a must for a Japanese home market car.

cheers

chrisp
Old 14 May 2001, 09:11 PM
wr rex
Scooby Newbie

Thanks Phil, I like the Lights conversion, are you having yours painted?, No other mods
as yet but I think it will only be a mtter of time
Stevc
Old 14 May 2001, 09:33 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Yes colour coded looks better IMHO

Also Clear indicators/Reflectors look good

Old 14 May 2001, 11:05 PM
TimD
Scooby Regular

Red face

Well all of the MY01 drivers I have seen have been smiling.

Either they like their cars a lot or you can apply the Fiat Multipla theory - i.e. all the time you are in one it's one less that you might be subjected to seeing driving towards you ;-)
Old 15 May 2001, 03:30 AM
bugwaan
Scooby Regular

Talking

WR REX

I Have had mine since 23 October 2000 and its an absolute joy to drive day to day. I sell advertising so I am constantly driving all over Melbourne, stop start in traffic, as well as stopping for appointments.
It uses a bit of juice, but who cares. If a car hammers like the MY01 then petrol consumption will always be high.
Not only but also, I am now never late for any appointments.
I got the silver one (the bug eyes actually look good in silver)
The WRC Blue that was so hot on the previous model looks bloody awful on the new shape MY01. Thank god for the internet, so I could pre-order a great colour with the aid of pics from all over the globe last September.
Silver is the only colour in my opinion.....and don't forget to get a sunroof...sorry you live in cold climate...no need.

Happy Motoring

Trending Topics

Old 15 May 2001, 03:50 AM
tokyo_steve
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by bugwaan:
<B>WR REX

I got the silver one (the bug eyes actually look good in silver)
The WRC Blue that was so hot on the previous model looks bloody awful on the new shape MY01. Thank god for the internet, so I could pre-order a great colour with the aid of pics from all over the globe last September.
Silver is the only colour in my opinion.....and don't forget to get a sunroof...sorry you live in cold climate...no need.

Happy Motoring[/quote]

You are right the silver looks OK with the bug eyes. But get the HID lamps and the blue looks the best by far. Who ever heard of a silver car with gold wheels? Sounds like a pimp wagon to me!

Steve

Old 15 May 2001, 10:18 AM
RichieB
Scooby Regular

Ditto all the above....covered 3750 in my WRX DBM Wagon and it gets better every day. Stop start much more effortless than the old car. More room , better sounds, switches etc makes life in jams more pleasant than it should be. When the traffic thins out, and you can put your foot down a bit, its better though.

Cheers,

Rich
PS...looking forward to 4.5k
Old 15 May 2001, 10:25 AM
mcalvey
Scooby Newbie

I have had the WRX saloon for just over three weeks now and have noticed the following:
- Indicators need at least 90 Deg turn of the wheel to cancel. So they stay on after roundabouts.
- Slow speed turning circle is wide. You will need a lot of maneuvering to get into a parking space.
- The front end 'tramlines' on bad roads at slow speed and heavy braking.
- The 'sports' seats are great for long motorway trips.

Having said that I would not change for another car - the rest is great!
Old 15 May 2001, 12:12 PM
Alan Webb
Scooby Regular

Had mine WRX Wagon since April and covered 1.2k.

Normal day to day driving.

Couldn't fault it. Just had the 1k service done (cost £38) and I can start to use more of the revs, its great.

I seem to get about 21/22mpg but Monday to Friday its a crawl in traffic to work, weekends I seem to get 25mpg on a run.

I haven't had any mods done yet but I have been looking at the Morrettes too although the new lights are growing on me.

As chrisp says the engine needs warming up & down & yes you do get some funny looks especially when you are sitting in the car by a cashpoint waiting for the turbo to cool down like some getaway driver.
Old 15 May 2001, 04:55 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
Love mine to bits.

Now covered 3,000 miles and ditto everyone else, it's definately losening up. It's one hell of an improvement over the old model, I even like the lights.

Only annoyance has been a rattle that was traced to the passenger sun visor.

Old 15 May 2001, 09:50 PM
555 BOY
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

There you go..........Iknew it was'nt only me who likes it.
Old 17 May 2001, 06:00 AM
sasman
Scooby Regular

Like it i LOVE it ordered it before pics were released didnt care what it looked like just how it went. I think its more difficult to like if you've had the previous model, but everyone you drive pass has an opinion because they all stare.
Old 17 May 2001, 08:25 AM
EwanS
Scooby Regular

Talking

WR Rex
Had mine since the end of January and clocked up nearly 7K, it's had the full ScoobySport incl GrpA downpipe and ITG filter, only problems which aren't really at all include rear seat belt cartridge rattle which I solved relatively quickly and an annoying rattle from the lower steering column cowl which should be cured with a little foam rubber.
I would not swap this motor for any other...and by the way with the SS Zorst and filter I manage to successfully hold my own against quiet a few of the modded Scoobs!
Fancy the Morrettes and Tints and of course sort out the ICE...BUY ONE..NOW You won't be disappointed!!!!
Old 17 May 2001, 02:06 PM
RichieB
Scooby Regular

So waddyareckon WR REX????
Old 17 May 2001, 02:09 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by EwanS:
<B>WR Rex
Had mine since the end of January and clocked up nearly 7K, it's had the full ScoobySport incl GrpA downpipe and ITG filter, only problems which aren't really at all include rear seat belt cartridge rattle which I solved relatively quickly and an annoying rattle from the lower steering column cowl which should be cured with a little foam rubber.
I would not swap this motor for any other...and by the way with the SS Zorst and filter I manage to successfully hold my own against quiet a few of the modded Scoobs!
Fancy the Morrettes and Tints and of course sort out the ICE...BUY ONE..NOW You won't be disappointed!!!! [/quote]

But no mate - you couldnt have possibly kept up with the beloved mk1 car - because i read in a magazine that the MY01 is SOOOOO SLLLOOOOWWWWWWW!!!!!

Glad to see a fellow WRX'er talking some sense!! I found i kept up with Mk1'ers with back boxes on the midlands meet - but no one believes me 'cause Evo say its a dog!!!

My cars been awesome. I really want the exhaust - but am waiting for the PPP (next week???) before visiting Mr Croney.

Ive done 3600 miles and im still impressed with the grunt and handling. Had my first major corner / exit / 4 wheel drift in the dry, and am happy to report that the car slid sideways beautifully without any leary overstear.

Ive had leather / carbon fibre / colour coded sills / strutbrace / tinted windows /Boost gauge in mine.

Glad i got all the bits. Think Morettes are excellent. Gotta get insurance sorted first tho!!!!

Looks sweeeeet in DBM!!!

Jza
Old 17 May 2001, 03:50 PM
SCOOBY JON
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by wr rex:
<B>Hi like to hear from anyone that has the new WRX, I pick my new one up in 8 weeks, What is it like as an everyday car, I do a lot of stop/starts for work?
Any other info would be great
Cheers
WR REX[/quote]
I HAVE HAD MINE SINCE DECEMBER.
I HAVE PUT AP 6 POT BRAKES ON.
AN OILER COOLER.
18'INCH SPEEDLINES
COMPLETE SCOOBYSPORT EXSHAUST SYSTEM.
LEDA SUSPENSION.
SCOOBYSPORT REAR SPOILER.
THE CAR IS AWSOME,FAR BETTER THAN MY T REG TURBO,ALL IT LACKS IS THE GRUNT OF THE OLD CAR,BUT I AM WORKING ON THAT AT THE MOMENT?

Old 17 May 2001, 07:22 PM
wr rex
Scooby Newbie

Thanks Guys, all the comments were helpful but at the moment I may have to sell due to a house coming up (wont know for a few weeks)
If I sell I,ll be a bit piZZed off, but SIt
happens.
Cheers for all your comments
WR REX