Sponsored by:

SS Back Box Catching Towbar

Search this Thread

Old 16 May 2001, 08:42 PM
Scooby Wagon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dear All

Just put a Scooby Sport back box on my 95MY UK 5 door Turbo and it's everything I expected it to be.
Only problem is there is only approx 2 mm of clearence between the towbar and the chrome tailpipe, as you can imagine they touch when driving. Any sugestions to cure the problem would be gratfully appreciated, tried bending the brackets but scared I'll break the welds, only other thing I can think of is to buy some longer mounting rubbers if I can find some, dont fancy cutting a lump out of the towbar!!

Thanks for any help
Paul
Old 16 May 2001, 09:46 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

Paul

Did you ask Pete?

Anyway, I've encountered this problem with PTMW! after the recent Prodrive BB upgrade. Rang Pete C & his advice was to stick something in the centre of the rubber hangers to keep them apart. I've not found something big enough to do the job, only some old exhaust studs from a GSXR! Will get round to it, but in the meantime find that the noise persists for a while then, once warm, does not re-occur! Bit like rattling Ledas!!

Obviously not ideal, but rest assured its not just SS stuff. If you find longer hangers/mounts let me know & vv.

Old 17 May 2001, 08:26 AM
SteveB
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Paul,

I too had the same problem with an old aftermarket BB. I cable tied the centre of the rubber mounts which had the effect of lengthening them by around 1". That was over 2 years ago now and they're still o.k.
I had a SS BB fitted with some other bits last year and it didn't fit properly over the towbar, so as the Manufacturer was next door, they adjusted the brackets a bit through heating up and bending.

Steve.
Old 17 May 2001, 10:09 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Paul

We can make a special box for towbar equiped cars. If you were to return your box, these mods could be applied to yours.

Pete
Old 17 May 2001, 07:42 PM
Scooby Wagon
Scooby Regular

Hi
Thanks all of you for your advise and Pete for your kind offer, I've cured it.
Went to my local Bosal exuaust stockists and bought a slightly longer rubber, Bosal part number 255-911, cost £1.75, this has the holes 3/4 of an inch further appart and now gives me 1/2 an inch extra clearence. The rubber itself has more of an slotted type of hole but is a perfect fit and does not seem to put a strain on anything else when fitted, I fitted it on the rear right hanger as you look from the rear, dont think I need them on the others. The motor factor only had one but I think I'll order another 2, fit them, see what it is like or keep as spares.
Been for a run had it hot found speed bumps etc, no problem

Thanks Again
Paul