1st time scooby buyer looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old 17 April 2016, 09:19 AM
HOTSHOT_III
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st time scooby buyer looking for advice

Hi Guys,

I've done some phoning around and found changing my insurance over to one of these won't cost much more than i'm paying now:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi..._campaign=pola

Is this particular model a good choice? don't know much about these cars so i'm looking for some advice:

1) Is there an easy way to distinguish between the different models (WRX, WRX STi etc.)? To my untrained eye they all look very similar (if there's a definitive source to learn all the different models that would be great!).

2) What goes wrong/needs to be done and at what kinds of mileages/age? I'm a fairly competent DIY mechanic so as long as I know what to ask the seller it won't be a problem.

3) Are there any modifications which are desirable or best avoided?

4) do these cars get stolen a lot, and is the factory fitted alarm/immobiliser good enough to prevent this?

Thanks in advance for all your help. Hopefully I can be patient, do my homework and buy a car properly!
Old 17 April 2016, 10:14 AM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

The STI is better in every department except fuel economy and running costs. Main linchpins are is the STI engine can handle approx 400-450bhp (WRX 350bhp) and the STI gearbox can handle upwards of 700lbft (WRX 350lbft)

I used to say the WRX was better for 0-60ish, but that's only if you launch at a ludicrously high rpm.

The STI has vastly superior styling, which includes bigger boot spoiler (the car in your link has the STI spoiler with some aero bits stuck in it) twisted colour coded side-skirts, front winglets, fog covers, bigger bonnet vent and blue interior.

The japanese STI and WRX are better than the UK versions, so if you can save a little longer!

I've had a 2003 WRX for 8 years and I've abused it badly, the only issues I think the car has of note is poor OE shock absorbers, sticky brake pistons and I seem to suffer split CV boots constantly.

WRX brakes will need upgrading as they are universally accepted as woeful, changing the brake fluid and changing to braided hoses stopped brake fade on my car but the lack of stopping power doesn't install confidence.

STI won't need much modding, if any, for 300hp plus, but the WRX will need fuel pump, STI turbo (TD05/VF35/36), STI injectors and ECU remap to get over 300hp. Taking the up-pipe/centre section catalytic converters off will also help the car as will uprated spark plugs I believe.

I'm not sure if a performance exhaust/panel air filter is paramount in getting a solid 33Ohp, but they'll add to the sound.

Dump valve, 3 port boost controller, big front mount intercooler, headers, silicone inlet hose, cone air filter, TVG deletes aren't always essential under 400hp.

The only mod I regret is the light weight crankshaft pulley, it hit my fuel economy quite hard.

I run Millers Nanodrive oils in the engine, gearbox and diff. Hopefully to free up a few ponies and make the car a little more economic.
Old 17 April 2016, 11:49 AM
ccsimpreza
Scooby Regular

WRX better for 0-60? How's that?
Old 17 April 2016, 11:55 AM
S9900B
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by ccsimpreza
What I was thinking too
Old 17 April 2016, 12:55 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

What you currently driving? If your worried about insurance cost you may find running costs are a big put off. Plus fuel costs is pretty big as well. Nit trying to put you off, just making sure you know what your getting into
Old 17 April 2016, 02:45 PM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ccsimpreza
The longer 1st gear means you can launch at much higher revs without wheelspin and you can hold 2nd gear until 60mph. So one less change. The WRX is also lighter and has less tranny losses so a 260hp PPP should have the upper hand against a 260hp STI by some considerable margin if both are launched to their full potential. Many car reviewers doing back to back tests on both cars will show the same results.

It's really evident on the newer Subarus.

Car and driver tested 4.8 for both the 305hp STI and 268hp WRX, STI owner and popular vlogger Engineering Explained managed 4.9 for the WRX and 5.5 for the STI on the same road Car and Driver used. He thinks, 4.9 can be bettered.

268hp WRX 0-60 4.9secs (35mpg)
305hp STI 0-60 5.5secs (26mpg)

A JDM STI with 8000rpm limit can hold 2nd until 60mph but I wouldn't want to launch one of those at 6,000rpm with the torque and short 1st gear.

Obviously in the real world at the traffic light you'd look a prize plonker setting off at 6,000rpm, so I have to concede the STI is a better choice for the casual blasts. The Newer WRX produce full torque at circa 2000rpm so they don't need many revs, certainly a car I'd consider.
Old 17 April 2016, 06:41 PM
HOTSHOT_III
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Tidgy
What you currently driving? If your worried about insurance cost you may find running costs are a big put off. Plus fuel costs is pretty big as well. Nit trying to put you off, just making sure you know what your getting into
I currently have a Mk4 VW Golf 2.0 estate, great solid car and I was happy with it when I got it 12mths ago but times change, I no longer need an estate and I feel uncomfortable overtaking so i'd like more power.

Also i've never really trusted FWD so i'd like an AWD car of some sort. 1st choice was a Golf V6 4Motion, I test drove one just after a thunderstorm and couldn't believe the grip and roadholding but finding a good one of them seems to be getting harder and a lot of sellers are starting to describe them as future classics (i'm not really after a classic car, I really want something I can use as an everyday car).

Insurance on the car linked in the OP is about 15% more for me for the year with no other policy changes and road tax is the same so I feel for a little extra spent on insurance and fuel I can have a much more capable car.

All fair comments though and i'm not ready to buy for a couple of months as I have other projects on until then so it's very much an ongoing thought process . Thanks for your comments, you have to know what you're getting into as you say
Old 17 April 2016, 06:49 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RS_Matt
The STI is better in every department except fuel economy and running costs. Main linchpins are is the STI engine can handle approx 400-450bhp (WRX 350bhp) and the STI gearbox can handle upwards of 700lbft (WRX 350lbft)

I used to say the WRX was better for 0-60ish, but that's only if you launch at a ludicrously high rpm.

The STI has vastly superior styling, which includes bigger boot spoiler (the car in your link has the STI spoiler with some aero bits stuck in it) twisted colour coded side-skirts, front winglets, fog covers, bigger bonnet vent and blue interior.

The japanese STI and WRX are better than the UK versions, so if you can save a little longer!

I've had a 2003 WRX for 8 years and I've abused it badly, the only issues I think the car has of note is poor OE shock absorbers, sticky brake pistons and I seem to suffer split CV boots constantly.

WRX brakes will need upgrading as they are universally accepted as woeful, changing the brake fluid and changing to braided hoses stopped brake fade on my car but the lack of stopping power doesn't install confidence.

STI won't need much modding, if any, for 300hp plus, but the WRX will need fuel pump, STI turbo (TD05/VF35/36), STI injectors and ECU remap to get over 300hp. Taking the up-pipe/centre section catalytic converters off will also help the car as will uprated spark plugs I believe.

I'm not sure if a performance exhaust/panel air filter is paramount in getting a solid 33Ohp, but they'll add to the sound.

Dump valve, 3 port boost controller, big front mount intercooler, headers, silicone inlet hose, cone air filter, TVG deletes aren't always essential under 400hp.

The only mod I regret is the light weight crankshaft pulley, it hit my fuel economy quite hard.

I run Millers Nanodrive oils in the engine, gearbox and diff. Hopefully to free up a few ponies and make the car a little more economic.

Quoted purely for future reference

Last edited by The Pink Ninja; 17 April 2016 at 06:51 PM.