First Scooby, First Project

Search this Thread

Old 02 November 2015, 01:42 PM
Darka
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool First Scooby, First Project

Hi guys,

New here, I have anyways wanted to have a scooby, and finally I'm in a position to get one, I'm going to sell the BMW 645Ci and use that money to by a 2006-2007 Hawkeye. I have a few questions before buying a hawkeye over the older 2.0 engines. From my research the 2.5 has more torque and less lag? but I friend who is into his scoobies said the 2.0 is better. Could someone clear this up?

My intent with the car is to make a really well balanced, well handling car, I can use on the road and a few track days (Not interested in the drag times). As I have a spare car I use to get to work I'm looking to sink a fair amount of money into this project, doing some of the work myself (within reason) to learn.

My questions are:

- Do I get the WRX and not the STi, due to the fact that I'd like to change all the suspension, linkages, bushings and arms, engine components and generally anything that can be upgraded, so would it be a waste of money to buy the STi if I'm just going to change the parts?

- My final aim is to be running in the region of 400-500HP, I've research a company called Andy forest, they seem to have really good knowledge, but as I haven't the money and car ready I don't want to pester them, I've looked at there stage 4 or 5, do you reckon if I have some of them parts like the intercooler, and fuel pump already installed, are they flexible around this?

- Are the standard WRX brakes good for 400-500HP ? or is it worth upgrading them to Wilwoods or something?

- As I've never done a project like this what's the best order to do the work in my plan was to do;

1. Suspension, arms and bushings, Wider wheels front and back.
2. Heavy duty clutch
3. Intercooler, pump, intake, injectors, etc
4. Remap
5. Forged internals (andy forest?)
6. Turbo upgrade
7. Re-Remap??

Any advise will be greatly appreciated, Hoping to get the car December time, to start the project in January,

P.S Hoping to slay the new V8 M3/M4 :P

Many Thanks,
Ben

Last edited by Darka; 02 November 2015 at 01:45 PM.
Old 02 November 2015, 01:56 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Honest opinion would be cheaper and less hassle to buy one, that has already been modded to your desired power level :
Old 02 November 2015, 03:10 PM
gazzawrx
Scooby Regular

Buy the sti, most of the bits are uprated anyway and the 6 speed box will take the power you're hoping to achieve.
Old 02 November 2015, 03:22 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

standard 2.5 block is unlikly to last at 500bhp. realistic the list mods you are talking about are prob £20k ish to get there and it not explode first time you press the loud pedal.

My advice is find a tuner your happy with, tell em what you want and get a price.
Old 02 November 2015, 03:36 PM
joe v3sti
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

^^^ I agree, probably your best bet
Old 02 November 2015, 04:17 PM
GH80
Scooby Regular

I am no expert but if I was doing this I would be starting with a blob widetrack (stonger transmission than other blobs) and saving yourself a fortune on engine work. 2.0 block is stronger, no need for forged internals or head gaskets at 450hp, simple bolt on parts will get you there with relative ease. I believe it is a different story for the 2.5 but please correct me if I am wrong.
I think you would be better with the STi over a WRX due to the transmission alone, I think after 350hp the wrx gearbox is out of it's comfort zone, especially with greater torque of the 2.5. STi has heavier diffs, driveshafts?, hubs, droplinks, in addition to decent suspension out of the box. I think the widetrack blobs came with spec C geometry setup and similar roll bars.
Brakes on the WRX are said to be ****e, although the Brembo's on an STi may not be up to very heavy track work.

I wouldn't want to track a hawk unless I had much deeper pockets.
Old 02 November 2015, 05:39 PM
edsel
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If youre serious and have a serious budget I would start with a fresh built motor. My "project" is based on a freshly built "forged" engine built by a reputable builder, Finch Motor sport in my case, all the toys came after once I knew the engine and transmission could take it.
If its a play thing youre building I would suggest looking for an import maybe jap STI, RA, Spec C or maybe a classic which carries less weight. Modifying a subaru is only limited by the depth of your pockets. I wouldnt dream of running 400hp on WRX brakes so you would be looking at a brembo conversion, theres £600+ straight away plus wheels and tyres.
A light weight classic with a genuine 350 bhp will keep with M3's, it might rattle your fillings out but it will do it.
Old 02 November 2015, 05:48 PM
Darka
Scooby Newbie

Okay thanks guys, it's been an eye opener, I'm looking to spend about 10,000 in total, so maybe I should go for 2.0, and work with my budget!
Maybe 400-500hp was abit of a dream, I probably should of said quicker acceleration, which is what I like

Many thanks
Old 02 November 2015, 05:57 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

you wanting ***** out performance or comfort as well?
Old 02 November 2015, 06:04 PM
edsel
Scooby Regular

The jap spec cars have lower ratio gear boxes, £10k is a reasonable buget for a 400 bhp subaru maybe; consider a classic type RA or Type R?
I have a Type RA which is currently running 320, its no slouch and is a hoot to drive on track. After vehicle purchase, engine build, brake, tyre, wheel and gearbox upgrades it owes me just over £10k. I cant think of another car that can give this type of performance for the money. Mind you classic prices are creeping up.

Last edited by edsel; 02 November 2015 at 06:06 PM.
Old 02 November 2015, 06:04 PM
Darka
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Tidgy
you wanting ***** out performance or comfort as well?
I'm 22, comfort doesn't exist on my list, so performance has priority
Old 02 November 2015, 06:08 PM
Darka
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by edsel
The jap spec cars have lower ratio gear boxes, £10k is a reasonable buget for a 400 bhp subaru maybe consider a classic type RA or Type R?
I have a Type RA which is currently running 320, its no slouch and is a hoot to drive on track. After vehicle purchase, engine build, brake, tyre, wheel and gearbox upgrades it owes me just over £10k. I cant think of another car that can give this type of performance for the money. Mind you classic prices are creeping up now.
Yeah had a quick look auto trader has a few but like 8k! When I was growing up it was the 04s on the rally seen, so in my eyes that an Impreza if you get me
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

classic type r or ra then for sure, what looks like a very nice one for sale on here dont know the car personaly though), white, 56k etc etc 7k asking price
edsel
Scooby Regular

You will be lucky to get insurance on a modded 400 bhp subaru
Old 02 November 2015, 06:11 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

nah its standard i think, will be quicker than a decated and mapped new age sti even in standard form due to the weight difference.
Old 03 November 2015, 12:19 AM
Lillyart14
Scooby Regular

If your after performance anyway and really don't care about comfort, stripping away unnecessary parts like rear seats, door cards, headlining and carpets will help with weight. Plus it's a job that doesn't cost anything and you can sell what comes out.
Old 04 November 2015, 07:49 PM
DAN@ADRIAN FLUX
Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi,
If you need any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.
Old 04 November 2015, 08:03 PM
edsel
Scooby Regular

I Would love to see the quote.
Old 05 November 2015, 09:11 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by edsel