Sponsored by:

Garage Floor

Search this Thread

Old 30 August 2015, 11:25 AM
NormantheDog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Garage Floor

Want to tidy my dusty garage floor up which was built about 5 years ago but want to use half the garage as a gym so have been looking at BigDug interlocking rubber floor tiles 14mm thick. Not cheap but should do a good job the question I wanted to ask has anyone fitted these and how much preparation was needed? Being 14mm thick and rubber I wondered if they would go straight over the dust or have I got to completely sweep / Hoover the floor free as being asthmatic that won't be an easy job and the wife says its mans work being the mancave! Any advice or experience appreciated cheers.
Old 30 August 2015, 11:35 AM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NormantheDog
Want to tidy my dusty garage floor up which was built about 5 years ago but want to use half the garage as a gym so have been looking at BigDug interlocking rubber floor tiles 14mm thick. Not cheap but should do a good job the question I wanted to ask has anyone fitted these and how much preparation was needed? Being 14mm thick and rubber I wondered if they would go straight over the dust or have I got to completely sweep / Hoover the floor free as being asthmatic that won't be an easy job and the wife says its mans work being the mancave! Any advice or experience appreciated cheers.

When I had a concrete floored building some years ago the surface was constantly dusty and needed regular cleaning. I was sold a special red floor paint that was easy to apply, was very hard wearing and it solved the problem for good. I'm sure that would be a much cheaper solution than rubber floor tiles unless you specifically want the quietness and bounce of a rubber floor.
Old 30 August 2015, 11:40 AM
NormantheDog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paben
When I had a concrete floored building some years ago the surface was constantly dusty and needed regular cleaning. I was sold a special red floor paint that was easy to apply, was very hard wearing and it solved the problem for good. I'm sure that would be a much cheaper solution than rubber floor tiles unless you specifically want the quietness and bounce of a rubber floor.
My worry is the use of the gym equipment rubbing the paint but also the rubber would be a much nicer place to be using the equipment. On top of that money isn't the issue finding the time for preparation etc might be so just wanted to know if anyone had used so called flooring but thanks for your experience appreciated
Old 30 August 2015, 11:58 AM
johned
Scooby Regular

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

what about the matting they use in playgrounds.
Old 30 August 2015, 12:22 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I
would seal the floor first regardless of what covering you put on, as your just covering up the issue with matting, Screwfix etc do industrial grey/red floor paint give it a good sweep and a sugar soap wash down and aply the paint before matting it out
Old 30 August 2015, 01:29 PM
pacenote
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

1. acid etch floor ( basically cleaning floor with a dilute acid solution available from builders merchants)

2 paint floor with epoxy floor paint.

3. cover with your tiles

Old 01 September 2015, 09:41 AM
S3LDM
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rubber tiles get dirty very quickly and are very hard to clean, which makes them look old and tired

I looked into rubber floor tiles but decided against them, for the reasons above

Went for Watco Floor paint in the end, been down 5 years now and its fantastic, chemical resistant so it does not matter what get spilled on the floor and easy to clean with soapy water and a jet wash

http://www.watco.co.uk/watco-safety-grip.html

Some idea of what it looks likes applied

Name:  E30C1B63-B7B9-4550-AB0E-EB7C6A3A6DCB_zpsjd6kq4ql.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  204.0 KB
Old 01 September 2015, 01:10 PM
NormantheDog
Scooby Regular

That looks great but works out very expensive, did you find a cheap supplier?
Old 01 September 2015, 01:34 PM
S3LDM
Scooby Regular

Unfortunately not

The cost is a down side, but I thought if I am going to paint it once it has to be right.

I did use other floor paint (non-epoxy) before putting down the epoxy floor paint but it did not last 6 months, I had to remove it all and start again.
Old 01 September 2015, 03:24 PM
S3LDM
Scooby Regular

I have just checked my emails as I have regular emails with promotional codes on for 25% off all floor paints, as we use this company in work.

I will let you know when I have another code through, if you decide to use it then happy days