Sponsored by:

Oil cooler.... Help

Search this Thread

Old 25 August 2015, 06:59 PM
Plane mad Harry
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil cooler.... Help

Help, I have just acquired a brand new oil cooler complete with braided hoses from a friend who bought it for his 2002 bugeye wrx, I am thinking of having it fitted on my 52 plate bugeye wrx, the thing is I have been told that my car will probably have one on as standard, but I have also been told they haven't got an oil cooler on them, does anyone know for definite if my 2002 wrx has got an oil cooler fitted as standard or not, many thanks to whoever replies.
Old 25 August 2015, 07:34 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Your car being a WRX does not have an oil coller. Unless you are driving like a loon you will not need one either.

The other thing you may wish to consider is they are a pain in the arris come an oil change.
Old 25 August 2015, 08:01 PM
Plane mad Harry
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815
Your car being a WRX does not have an oil coller. Unless you are driving like a loon you will not need one either.

The other thing you may wish to consider is they are a pain in the arris come an oil change.
Hi, I'm a 55 year old mature driver/rider and an HGV driver, alongside my Subaru I also have brand new Yamaha R1, I admit this is my first Subaru and love it to bits, it is totally standard and is immaculate with one previous mature owner, I don't race around the streets making a nuisance of myself, i asked a question as people usually do on forums and got some satisfactory answers, also all my vehicles are kept to a high standard and get regular oil changes, thank you.

Last edited by Plane mad Harry; 25 August 2015 at 08:02 PM.
Old 25 August 2015, 08:50 PM
**jay**
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

What he means is its pointless having one unless ragged round a track and the oil changes are a pain as cant get all the oil out of the cooler and if its one with remote filter then even more of a ballache.
Old 25 August 2015, 09:01 PM
trevsjwood
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would sell the oil cooler on. The standard modine is an efficient bit of kit and more than adequate for road use.
The downsides to an oilcooler are extra oil needed at service, + 1-1.5litre, as said more difficult to change oil but also you will see significantly low oil temps in winter, even with a thermostat in the system mine really struggle.
Trev
Old 25 August 2015, 10:24 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Plane mad Harry
Hi, I'm a 55 year old mature driver/rider and an HGV driver, alongside my Subaru I also have brand new Yamaha R1, I admit this is my first Subaru and love it to bits, it is totally standard and is immaculate with one previous mature owner, I don't race around the streets making a nuisance of myself, i asked a question as people usually do on forums and got some satisfactory answers, also all my vehicles are kept to a high standard and get regular oil changes, thank you.

Harry,

I too am getting on and also have access to some pretty tasty vehicles. But speaking from experience of 7 Subaru's (not all Impreza's or just JDM) I have not once needed an oil cooler.

Last year having completed 4497 kms in a week including The Nurburgring, The Stelvio Pass, Lake Como, Monaco, Col D'Var and the F1 Track at Reims my oil never once over heated even at unrestricted autobahn speeds.

I thank you too.

Last edited by The Trooper 1815; 25 August 2015 at 10:25 PM.