MY01, my first drive!

Search this Thread

Old 13 May 2001, 06:06 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

Hi all!
We know that the "ugly sister" of the subaru family is the new MY01 and me having my little MY00 turbo are like most of you, a bit wary of change but........
I dropped the car off for her service on friday, there i was expecting to get a justy, oh well, but alas no!! what was waiting for me was a 2ltr MY01 GX, this car had more standard stuff than my turbo!!!
(suppose it had something to do with the fact my car was also in for her body check too )
Well i was suprised to say the least, friday was a damn hot day and i could have done with air con, and i did! there fitted was air con, along with a rather nice looking single cd player/radio (which by the way is still annoying when it tries to catch up with itself whilst driving )
The seats were lovely and supportive, the interior quality is definately better than mine (no rattles!!! ) and it feels a damn site more roomy than the older model too, but i did have some gripes, the first being the clutch, now that felt weird, sort of juddery cos its lighter than mine and the cheap rubber gearknob feels cheap too, but they are about the only things i could fault with the car (except it wasnt a turbo ) but not to worry, i covered over 120 miles that day in her, so many small changes, like the fuel cap is now on a little cord so you dont loose it! and the retro style airvents are good too!
But what are the best changes? the switchgear in the car feels like its got feeling to it! it feels solid and precise, a slight rubbery feel to it is the only way to discribe the air controls, the gearbox isnt notchy, nice smooth changes (once id gotten use to the clutch) and gone is the tinny sound when closing the doors, now it sounds like the doors are solid!
Its road manners are delightful, the handling is firm but responsive and i didnt notice any vague feeling in the steering but then this isnt a turbo so it may be set up differently.
The grip is still great, if not better as i dont get bounced all over the road now! but all in all its a lovely car to drive the engine did feel a little under powered but ill put that down from having driven my turbo in the morning
All in all i had a comfortable days motoring, i reccommend anyone to take one out for a test drive, if they have improved the turbo as much then its going to be one hell of a car when you get use to the looks

Tony
Old 13 May 2001, 08:15 PM
Gastro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tony

You summed it up in your last sentence......'when you get used to the looks'......Will that day ever arrive ??

Gastro
Old 13 May 2001, 08:24 PM
SCOSaltire
Scooby Regular

I think the looks will be great in the next revision... the 2001 wrc looks great!!
Old 14 May 2001, 08:27 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The only thing i can say is that it is a big improvement over the old model, but that doesnt mean im going to run out and buy one, well not until the ppp is out for it anyway

Tony
Old 14 May 2001, 08:38 AM
druddle
Scooby Regular

well i have nearly 5000 miles on my my01 and am well pleased with it.

the headlights were a bit daunting at first but they have grown on me. the darker colour paint you get, the bigger the headlights look i think. i have wrc blue and they look ok. build quality is very good and the interior is good.

the only thing i have found with the handling is that if you are braking heavily or pushing hard through a corner, then the back end is a bit light and you do have to be conscious of that.

other than that, wikkid car, cant wait for the scoobysport exhaust to go on !

dave