Sponsored by:

Book value of a 2002 Bug WRX???

Search this Thread

Old 01 August 2015, 05:25 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Book value of a 2002 Bug WRX???

Anyone know the book value/or insurance would roughly value a 2002 Bug WRX wagon with 90k miles on the clock??

My dads bug WRX got rear ended the otherday resulting in a broken rear bumper and 1x damaged rear light from what I can see(didnt look in the boot or underneath).

Problem is a new bumper from Subaru and rear light, and paint, materials etc etc, and courtesy car for 1-2 weeks while the car is being fixed I can see it being more then the car is worth, would there be a chance they would write it off, even for little damage it has caused??
Old 01 August 2015, 05:58 PM
TypeR99
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

easily a write off, book price will be about £2500 i'd estimate. If you want to keep the car talk to the insurance about a payout WITHOUT it being recorded, or see what they offer.
Old 01 August 2015, 06:33 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TypeR99
easily a write off, book price will be about £2500 i'd estimate. If you want to keep the car talk to the insurance about a payout WITHOUT it being recorded, or see what they offer.
I estimated that it would be about £1500 book price, my dad has owned the car for about 6 years and had the arches replaced/painted and really looked after the car, but realistically its not worth a lot as its a 90k mile Bug WRX to the insurance company, Ive told him that the bumper/light and labour could be around £600-800 and then the courtesy car and picking up the car etc can cost another £600-800 so could possibly be worth more then the car itself.
Old 01 August 2015, 07:16 PM
hill79
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the cost of repair is over 60% of the value it'll be written off, and when you're taking about a 2k car being repaired using brand new parts at a body shop charging over the top because it's an insurance job... Easily a write off. You could always let them write it off, get the payout and discuss buying the car back from them and fixing it with the payout. It'd go down as a cat d but if you know the history and aren't intending to sell it on any time soon that's hardly an issue.

Last edited by hill79; 01 August 2015 at 07:17 PM.
Old 01 August 2015, 07:30 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hill79
If the cost of repair is over 60% of the value it'll be written off, and when you're taking about a 2k car being repaired using brand new parts at a body shop charging over the top because it's an insurance job... Easily a write off. You could always let them write it off, get the payout and discuss buying the car back from them and fixing it with the payout. It'd go down as a cat d but if you know the history and aren't intending to sell it on any time soon that's hardly an issue.
I think this is what my dad would want to do, A mate at a insurance company said that you can do cash in luea(how ever its spelt) where if the insurance value the car at £1500 and scrap/damage value its worth £250 then they will give you/keep the car and give you £1250 to have it repaired, and it goes down as a Cat D.

From previous experience with my own car, its the courtesy car that can bump up the insurance bill, I know last year when someone damaged my Impreza(got rear ended), my courtesy car bill worked out at £250 a day, and they nearly wrote off my Impreza worth £10k, so my dads £2k Impreza on a good day is not looking good!!
Old 01 August 2015, 08:39 PM
Steve001
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Something really needs to be done about the courtesy car rip off we're all paying for this in our premiums, it only costs £90 to hire a basic car for a WEEK!

Does any of the insurance guru's on here have an explanation for this?
Old 01 August 2015, 09:03 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Steve001
Something really needs to be done about the courtesy car rip off we're all paying for this in our premiums, it only costs £90 to hire a basic car for a WEEK!

Does any of the insurance guru's on here have an explanation for this?
When my Hawk STi was away being repaired I was given a Brand new BMW 330d M-Sport, like I said it was costing £250 a day, there insurance company didn't sanction it, it was a 3rd party company that my own insurance company had ties with, and they sent me the car and charged the other partys insurance company!!

Anyway the other party insurance company who was paying to have my car repaired begged me to send this courtesy car back and said that I could have one of there courtesy cars(vauxhall corsa, renault clio etc etc) which I in my rights said that Im not going to give up a brand new BMW for a Vauxhall Corsa to make it cheaper for them!!

In the end we both come to an agreement that I send the BMW back and make my own arrangements to get to work etc, and they would give me a cheque for a £1000, So got my missus to drop me off at work until my Subaru come back from being repaired!!

So I see it the insurance gave me a £1000, and it saved them £3-3.5k in hire car charges!! I bet if most insurance companies gave this option over a courtesy car most people would take the cash!! £1000 cheque to yourselves or use of a hire car at £200-250 a day to the insurance company???

Last edited by scoobyboy1; 01 August 2015 at 09:05 PM.