Sponsored by:

Crikey, its Dead on here !

Search this Thread

Old 13 July 2015, 09:18 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Crikey, its Dead on here !

Cant believe how little this site is active now, havent been on for a while, i have a question but ihasnt had much input in the general technical (posted this morning at 9am, its like the 5th topic in the list )

so, chucking it on here

Cone Filter in Engine Bay or inner wing ? On a 95 classic, im not going for power (as i know the airbox is capable) but i do like the induction noise and also would like to try and get turbo flutter, i can tweak my MAP as i have an ESL.
So am toying with fitting my K&N cone filter again, its quite big and not sure if i should just fit it in place of airbox (lots of hot air in engine bay) or go to all the hassle of fitting it in the inner wing ? which involves a bit of faffing about.

Is there that much conflict between engine bay location and inner wing location for a cone filter ?

Cheers
Old 13 July 2015, 09:22 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Remember the days when you would ask a question and have to bump it up after 2 hours otherwise it would be on page 3.
Old 13 July 2015, 09:24 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yup, i thought my email had stopped working as i hadnt had a reply ha, when i looked a minute ago on here, some 12 hrs later, it was the 5th topic, not much getting posted these days !
Old 13 July 2015, 09:28 PM
scoobyman2007
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep it's got bad
Old 13 July 2015, 09:29 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Yep its getting quiet on here these days.
If you are able to rig up a decent cold air feed directly to it I would go for it in the standard position and not bother with the inner wing. It is more about getting cold air to it rather than under bonnet temps.
Old 13 July 2015, 09:29 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Sign of the times I guess, got to be far less people running around in these cars. Loads broken and loads broken too (same word, two meanings)

No fresh new Impreza to keep the site going either, started dying when the 2.5's came along lol. MLR will go the same way too.
Old 13 July 2015, 09:43 PM
scoobyman2007
Scooby Regular

It's not got a lot on no more it's a shame as its a good forurm and there's loads still out ther
Old 13 July 2015, 09:46 PM
richie001
Scooby Regular

Facebook etc has/is killing of forums like this.
Old 13 July 2015, 10:35 PM
CutMasterT
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by richie001

Exactly this.

I much prefer Scoobynet over any FB pages because there is a lot of knowledgeable people on here, but technical questions take a long while to get answered sometimes.
But the sad reality is that Scoobynet is known for being a very bitchy and hostile place, which probably puts a lot of people off lol

Rig - have you considered getting some Morrettes and removing the bulb and fitting a cold air feed?
Old 13 July 2015, 10:39 PM
Dirk Diggler 75
Scooby Regular

It's all gone quiet ........
Old 13 July 2015, 11:30 PM
Steve001
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler 75
It's all gone quiet ........
Shussssh you'll wake the neighbours

Old 13 July 2015, 11:51 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Modifying is dying now
All the classics that are left are locked up in the garage and only come out for the weekends and shows
No point in making them faster as no one does runs anymore incase you get caught speeding or prang it and as the cars are getting older people don't want to drive them fast like we all did 10 years ago

Most people would rather talk about detailing amd rust prevention and how they will be worth as much as cosworths in years to come

Yes fb has destroyed the forums
Old 14 July 2015, 12:10 AM
scoobyman2007
Scooby Regular

I have 2 mate and I drive them hard it's ther to have fun
Old 14 July 2015, 07:18 AM
mike74
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

As others have said it seems to be forums in general and not just here... I'm a member of a number of other forums and they all seem to have much less activity these days.
Old 14 July 2015, 05:46 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Thing is, this forum is 17 years old now, so there's very little in the way of technical issues that haven't been covered before.

Less users means more searching I guess.
Old 14 July 2015, 05:47 PM
Fonzey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by richie001
Yep, I'm a member on so many car forums and all are dying to crappy FB groups.
Old 15 July 2015, 01:42 PM
Steve_PPP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fonzey
Yep, I'm a member on so many car forums and all are dying to crappy FB groups.
Shame really, as its unbelievable the amount of factually incorrect rubbish i read on certain facebook groups. People reply without knowing what their talking about and all of a sudden another Subaru owner has got the wrong advice (often about mapping!) which could potentially damage their car

I'm one of the admins on www.southeastscoobies.co.uk (excuse the plug ) and whilst we have a facebook page to catch interest, its read-only for users and points everyone at the forum. I think people don't realise the amount of searchable information that exists on forums, all indexed nicely and searchable through the forum itself, or Google. Its a massive library of facts about these cars that we need to keep adding to for future members imo.

Try searching historical information on facebook posts....
Old 15 July 2015, 01:51 PM
Edmondo
Scooby Regular

I belong to a number of Forums and on some if you post once you are virtually top poster for a whole week. We advertise our meets on S/Net and FB and most of the people will only read S/Net To be honest I hope FB starts to go the way of some of the Forums
Old 15 July 2015, 02:19 PM
**jay**
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

yip defo too quiet in here now, i deleted facebook, load of crap but yeh many many pages of subaru stuff on there but full of idiots! lol

The filter though id run it in the engine bay with an air feed, mine was in the inner wing, always got soaking wet and filthy so it was removed before it damaged the engine.
Old 15 July 2015, 03:06 PM
plenty
Scooby Regular

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by rossyboy
Thing is, this forum is 17 years old now, so there's very little in the way of technical issues that haven't been covered before.

Less users means more searching I guess.
This is the winning answer

Plus like all forums the quality of the conversation declines with age. If you go back through threads from (say) 2006-07, they are mostly very sensible, level-headed discussions with genuinely useful information. Nowadays the forum is dominated by repetitive and content-free "Type R vs P1" and "WRX vs STi" nonsense and a small but vocal group of highly boring individuals who love an argument and absolutely have to be right and to have the last word.

This is not unique to ScoobyNet of course. Fortunately there are still enough quality posters and good information to keep the rest of us coming back.
Old 15 July 2015, 03:09 PM
Fonzey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Steve_PPP
Shame really, as its unbelievable the amount of factually incorrect rubbish i read on certain facebook groups. People reply without knowing what their talking about and all of a sudden another Subaru owner has got the wrong advice (often about mapping!) which could potentially damage their car

I'm one of the admins on www.southeastscoobies.co.uk (excuse the plug ) and whilst we have a facebook page to catch interest, its read-only for users and points everyone at the forum. I think people don't realise the amount of searchable information that exists on forums, all indexed nicely and searchable through the forum itself, or Google. Its a massive library of facts about these cars that we need to keep adding to for future members imo.

Try searching historical information on facebook posts....
My Issue with FB is that it's blurring my hobbies with my personal life.

If I make a post to a FB page (depending on setup), the other members of that page of course get to see it but so also do my friends, family, colleagues etc.

My grandma probably doesn't care that I spent 16 hours polishing an exhaust with toothpaste over the weekend, other members of an enthusiasts forum probably also don't care - but that's not the point.
Old 15 July 2015, 04:40 PM
prestigesec
Scooby Regular

People using Facebook more and more now, also on Facebook they don't get a Mod shouting at them for posting a question without searching for the answer first.

People can search for the answer but sometimes people just enjoy the chat which is lost now by mods telling them to search before posting.

Not just this forum by the way.
Old 15 July 2015, 04:55 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Fitting a cone filter because you like the noise is not going to get much of a response to be fair. It's not a techical question, probably getting aligned with stick-on roof vents, dump valves and stickers. If you have a really tricky problem that needs resolving then you could always go to 22b, but there are so few ever visit that site these days you probably won't get an answer on there either!

In truth just about every question that could be asked about these cars has been asked and answered a dozen times over, to the point that asking the wrong question will get you shot down in flames for sure. You did well getting nothing.
Old 15 July 2015, 05:37 PM
Ian
Scooby Regular

big k&n in the engine bay, then make up a heat shield to block some of the hot air from the rad and engine. then fit a good cold air feed.

this will get good noise without losing too much to over the standard airbox.

and it just happens I have a template that the late HS gave to me.

Name:  Air20Filter20Heatshield20Diagram.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  31.5 KB
Old 15 July 2015, 07:19 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ian
big k&n in the engine bay, then make up a heat shield to block some of the hot air from the rad and engine. then fit a good cold air feed.

this will get good noise without losing too much to over the standard airbox.

and it just happens I have a template that the late HS gave to me.

That's an interesting heat shield but where does it fit? I haven't got a millimetre of space to fit a shield of any shape.
Old 15 July 2015, 07:55 PM
Ian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paben
That's an interesting heat shield but where does it fit? I haven't got a millimetre of space to fit a shield of any shape.

thats made for a v5/6, but it will have more chance to fit the early classic over the newage.

i use to run a heat shield like that on my old classic, made out of alloy, with radiator heat reflecting material over it
Old 15 July 2015, 08:00 PM
Ian
Scooby Regular

Name:  heat2.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  112.2 KB
Old 15 July 2015, 08:28 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

That looks very effective
Old 15 July 2015, 09:02 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by The Rig

Cone Filter in Engine Bay or inner wing ? On a 95 classic, im not going for power (as i know the airbox is capable) but i do like the induction noise and also would like to try and get turbo flutter, i can tweak my MAP as i have an ESL.
So am toying with fitting my K&N cone filter again, its quite big and not sure if i should just fit it in place of airbox (lots of hot air in engine bay) or go to all the hassle of fitting it in the inner wing ? which involves a bit of faffing about.

Is there that much conflict between engine bay location and inner wing location for a cone filter ?

Cheers

Get the APS inner wing kit and be prepared to get the car mapped a soon as fitted or drive off boost until mapped.
Old 16 July 2015, 08:01 PM
kevo10
Scooby Regular

I think part of the problem is the type of people on the forums. On Scoobynet , at least , posters are frowned on cos what theyre suggesting doing to their motors, is classed as chavvy. Then you have other posters who have a good amount of disposable income to use on their pride and joys. But, theres also a third group (myself included) that love the make and simply want to enjoy the experience of ownership , both pitfalls and high moments, for as long as possible.

Quick Reply: Crikey, its Dead on here !