Sponsored by:

Which Impreza to get?

Search this Thread

Old 27 May 2015, 10:07 AM
ditchyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Which Impreza to get?

I sold my blob sti running 350bhp earlier this year as i was doing to many miles for work and it wasnt really practical, too hard to keep nice going on sites in all weather.
Anyway been told in July might be getting a company truck, i am therefore looking for another Impreza but this time as a second car. I would like to get something that will appreciate in value or at least not lose to much. I have always liked classics but it looks hard to find a good one with lower miles, less owners than 5 and good arches, i thought maybe a special edition would be a good shout but not sure on the best to get, i like P1s, RB5s but also the WR1 looks a nice car and newer, my issue is i wouldnt want to mod a special too much as it seems a shame so was thinking if i could get a 400bhp + blob / wide track would this if kept in mint condition with low mileage really lose that much value over the next few years? the prices seem to have gone up since i sold which is typical!!
I realise the price difference between the models is huge and ideally a lovely classic running 300bhp + would be good and hopefully £4k or below which would be easier to get with the wife, lol!
If anyone has any advice or other models to look at i.e. RA imports etc that would be great.
Just after some idea of what people think is a good way to go and which will hold value the best?!
cheers
Old 27 May 2015, 11:04 AM
Ste333
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If its a second car, you don't necessarily need refinement..... so id get a classic shape How about a Type-R? Nice ones are few and far between now, and they tend to hold their value well too.
Old 27 May 2015, 11:11 AM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

Guessing you mean't that will not appreciate in value.

As has been said Type R, to get a cheaper P1 your best waiting till winter, as they sell for less, July is most likely worst time to buy a nice car as everyone else is looking aswell.

Might be worth waiting till winter for a P1 or type's will be the next Subaru to go up in price and you can still get them for 5k mark.

Prices don't seem to as gone as high as the P1's but thats proberly as there still being imported, but Japan has to run out some time

Originally Posted by ditchyboy
I sold my blob sti running 350bhp earlier this year as i was doing to many miles for work and it wasnt really practical, too hard to keep nice going on sites in all weather.
Anyway been told in July might be getting a company truck, i am therefore looking for another Impreza but this time as a second car. I would like to get something that will appreciate in value or at least not lose to much. I have always liked classics but it looks hard to find a good one with lower miles, less owners than 5 and good arches, i thought maybe a special edition would be a good shout but not sure on the best to get, i like P1s, RB5s but also the WR1 looks a nice car and newer, my issue is i wouldnt want to mod a special too much as it seems a shame so was thinking if i could get a 400bhp + blob / wide track would this if kept in mint condition with low mileage really lose that much value over the next few years? the prices seem to have gone up since i sold which is typical!!
I realise the price difference between the models is huge and ideally a lovely classic running 300bhp + would be good and hopefully £4k or below which would be easier to get with the wife, lol!
If anyone has any advice or other models to look at i.e. RA imports etc that would be great.
Just after some idea of what people think is a good way to go and which will hold value the best?!
cheers
Old 27 May 2015, 11:24 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jaygsi

As has been said Type R, to get a cheaper P1 your best waiting till winter, as they sell for less, July is most likely worst time to buy a nice car as everyone else is looking aswell.

Might be worth waiting till winter for a P1 or type's will be the next Subaru to go up in price and you can still get them for 5k mark.

Prices don't seem to as gone as high as the P1's but thats proberly as there still being imported, but Japan has to run out some time
If anything winter is not the time to buy an AWD car but a rag top would be cheaper.
The Type R's and RA's are going up in price for good one examples and the situation will get worst. The 25 year rule for the US importers will kick in soon, early Classics will have a far bigger market and prices will only go one way for good examples.

But like any investment, prices will go up and down.
Old 27 May 2015, 11:45 AM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Yes but all cars being sold by private sellers go down in price in winter, i've seen it happen year after year, maybe its the weather that puts people off, or lack of money around Christmas and new year but prices do drop.

And i would say the average person wouldn't consider buying an Impreza due to it having 4WD.

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815
If anything winter is not the time to buy an AWD car but a rag top would be cheaper.
The Type R's and RA's are going up in price for good one examples and the situation will get worst. The 25 year rule for the US importers will kick in soon, early Classics will have a far bigger market and prices will only go one way for good examples.

But like any investment, prices will go up and down.
Old 27 May 2015, 12:32 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes but all cars being sold by private sellers go down in price in winter, i've seen it happen year after year, maybe its the weather that puts people off, or lack of money around Christmas and new year but prices do drop.

And i would say the average person wouldn't consider buying an Impreza due to it having 4WD.
This is a site for Subaru owners or people who want to own one, so we are not average and understand the AWD system and benefits. However, some people on this site are very special.

Similarly as with Christmas people are concentrating on summer holidays and spending money in the summer funnily enough, cars will still sell ie ragtops as it is the time of the year for open tops. There are tradition plate change spikes in September and March but don't let the facts get in the way.
Old 27 May 2015, 01:06 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Appreciate in value means go up in value.

So yes, he did mean appreciate

Although he'll do well to find an Impreza that does appreciate, maybe a 22B but that's about it unless you're willing to sit on one for years and years.

Last edited by MattyB1983; 27 May 2015 at 01:08 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 27 May 2015, 01:11 PM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gotta be a Type R, best Impreza hands down.
Old 27 May 2015, 03:42 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

I know people who own them know about AWD thats one reason i love my Impreza so much.

I'm saying people who are looking to buy a car, will not instantly think i need a 4 wheel drive for winter i will buy a Subaru, most will look to 4x4's eg Range Rovers etc, and if they do look for a AWD Subaru i'm guessing a Rally/chaved up Impreza won't be on these list.

More likely will be Legacy or forester which i've seen the odd farmer in. All i'm going on is past experience, i've even found it hard to sell cars in winter and sold some cheaper just to get rid, then seen them go up in price come Spring/Summer.

I know new car figures show less sales in August and December, but i'm talking about private used cars. Prices seem to dip in winter and peak may-September. As i've said this is just what i've found.

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815
This is a site for Subaru owners or people who want to own one, so we are not average and understand the AWD system and benefits. However, some people on this site are very special.

Similarly as with Christmas people are concentrating on summer holidays and spending money in the summer funnily enough, cars will still sell ie ragtops as it is the time of the year for open tops. There are tradition plate change spikes in September and March but don't let the facts get in the way.
Old 27 May 2015, 08:17 PM
Steve777
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Trinity

Why ? I've asked you this before ? From a technical perspective by the way
Old 27 May 2015, 08:25 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Trinity
Describe best though Trinity.
Everyone has different opinions, I love a type r just as much as the next person but I wouldn't say they are the best impreza ever.
Old 28 May 2015, 10:23 AM
ditchyboy
Scooby Regular

thanks for the input so far guys, i do like the look of a type r to be fair, not sure on the full spec of them at the minute and what makes them extra special but know they are a lot of peoples preferred choice. I think a P1 might be a bit expensive for a good example so anything around £5k and below is probably more realistic i guess. Even if it never appreciates as long as it holds its value pretty well ill be happy as i would plan on keeping it for a long time if i get a good one.
Any tips on the main things to look at on a type r? any common issues?
thanks again
Old 28 May 2015, 10:49 AM
EOEUMC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattyB1983
Describe best though Trinity.
Everyone has different opinions, I love a type r just as much as the next person but I wouldn't say they are the best impreza ever.
I should its called being biased mate! lol

I have had 4 Subarus now and tbh none of them have been special editions but in their own right and in different ways, they have been great cars and I would say each one has seemed to be better in one way or another.
Its just a shame that some seem so hard to sell on or people have this vision whether the car is in great or crap condition, the price should always be dirt cheap
Old 28 May 2015, 08:14 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You'll struggle to get a decent Type R for £5k or less.
Old 28 May 2015, 10:54 PM
GH80
Scooby Regular

Depends where you look. You could probably get a slightly tatty one for 5k. But if you buy the best one out there, would you ever drive it in anger?
Old 29 May 2015, 06:40 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You'll get a very tatty one for £5k and end up spending £3k to make it right, better to buy a decent one for £7k that has good history with fresh tyres, oil, brakes, cambelt, ESL daughter board or after market ECU and mint arches that haven't just been wafted over with a fresh coat of paint.

Even if you do that you'll still be looking at a rebuild somewhere in the not too distant future.

Personally I'd pay the extra and get one that's had loads done to it and a forged build by reputable tuners for £8/9k, they don't come up very often but they are out there.

Last edited by ditchmyster; 29 May 2015 at 06:46 AM.
Old 31 May 2015, 11:00 AM
ditchyboy
Scooby Regular

Yeah it's a tough one.i think ill have to spend a bit more and get something with work done and looked after.always wanted a classic,might just get a good spec'd turbo 2000.cant stop looking at blob eyes though but after already owning one think a change would be good.