Sponsored by:

WRX owner looking for opinions

Search this Thread

Old 22 April 2015, 02:34 PM
Gibbo88
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WRX owner looking for opinions

I've had my 2005 WRX sports wagon for about a year and absolutely love it.
It's good condition, excellent history with no mods.
I'm thinking of getting something a bit more serious in a year or so, and would like some opinions from some of you that have driven more than one type!
Ideally would like a silver blobeye STI, but am wary about buying a 10+ year old car that could have been abused it's whole life.
What's the opinion on newer models? Are the new STIs down on fun and up on weight generally? Thinking about a test drive soon to dip my toe in the water.

Or would it be worth hanging on to my wagon in good condition as they are a little harder to find? I would miss the boot space, but would quite like a big wing on the back
Any opinions would be helpful:
Old 22 April 2015, 02:39 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

I'd always go saloon, the wagons never look the part unless modified.

All depends on your budget, most will say widetrack, but for less you can get a nice sti
Old 22 April 2015, 03:39 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would seriously suggest you have a decent test drive in an STI before you go and buy one, personally I don't like them, firm crashy ride I also don't like the gear box or the ratio's, I'd sooner spend a grand on brakes, few handling mods and PPP or a remap on a WRX then they make for a cracking road car / daily driver, STI is better as a weekend, track, modders car. I couldn't live with one as a daily driver but some do, horses for courses.

P.S

Wagons rule.
Old 22 April 2015, 04:31 PM
Filski
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Gibbo88
I've had my 2005 WRX sports wagon for about a year and absolutely love it.
It's good condition, excellent history with no mods.
I'm thinking of getting something a bit more serious in a year or so, and would like some opinions from some of you that have driven more than one type!
Ideally would like a silver blobeye STI, but am wary about buying a 10+ year old car that could have been abused it's whole life.
What's the opinion on newer models? Are the new STIs down on fun and up on weight generally? Thinking about a test drive soon to dip my toe in the water.

Or would it be worth hanging on to my wagon in good condition as they are a little harder to find? I would miss the boot space, but would quite like a big wing on the back
Any opinions would be helpful:

Shame you were not at our last swindon meet! there were one wrx blob and one sti blob that you could have looked at
Old 23 April 2015, 12:04 PM
Gibbo88
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
I would seriously suggest you have a decent test drive in an STI before you go and buy one, personally I don't like them, firm crashy ride I also don't like the gear box or the ratio's, I'd sooner spend a grand on brakes, few handling mods and PPP or a remap on a WRX then they make for a cracking road car / daily driver, STI is better as a weekend, track, modders car. I couldn't live with one as a daily driver but some do, horses for courses.

P.S

Wagons rule.
Good points. I wasn't sure how much of a difference there would be in set up, worth a test drive. I would really miss the boot space, handy for bikes and moving house. It's a toss up between practicality and having a wing because It's a scuby after all..
I cant decide if I like understated performance or shouty performance either..

Originally Posted by Filski
Shame you were not at our last swindon meet! there were one wrx blob and one sti blob that you could have looked at
Where do you guys organise meets? On here? Keen to come along
Old 23 April 2015, 12:10 PM
Filski
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Where do you guys organise meets? On here? Keen to come along

Here bud
https://www.scoobynet.com/997778-swi...l#post11669759
Old 23 April 2015, 02:23 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Good points. I wasn't sure how much of a difference there would be in set up, worth a test drive. I would really miss the boot space, handy for bikes and moving house. It's a toss up between practicality and having a wing because It's a scuby after all..
I cant decide if I like understated performance or shouty performance either..
You can't beat the practicality and performance package of a lightly modded WRX Wagon when you add the 4wd into the equation there's nothing that comes close for the money, I know because I have spent the last week looking and can't find anything that I'd be happy to replace mine with.

I also don't like driving around in shouty cars and the attention it brings and there's nothing quite like a blue subaru with a giant wing on the back to attract attention.
Old 23 April 2015, 04:20 PM
MaxA
Scooby Regular

My WRX is not blue but there do suddenly seem to be an awful lot of Police cars around now that I have a wub-wub-wub Prodrive exhaust and big STI wing. I think that I need to go stealthy.
Old 23 April 2015, 04:28 PM
MaxA
Scooby Regular

Anyway, to answer the question: you need to ask yourself what you want, either a full on, loud exhaust, bewinged '**** magnet' (especially at the lights), with hard suspension, anti-lag, short shift, massive turbo, etc. for weekend hooning and track days, and a 150 mile range on 60 litres of V Power.

Or do you want a more relaxed, more useful, more compliant and still very quick car (especially with a remap) for daily life? If so, keep the WRX.