Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Petrol - Euro-trip safety measures ?

Search this Thread

Old 20 April 2015, 11:11 PM
gaborpapp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Petrol - Euro-trip safety measures ?

long story short: last year, drove to france in my merc c180. 3/4 UK fuel got me around 400 miles. On way back, 1 full tank of stupid french fuel, got me less than 350 miles...

in the summer I`m planing a small euro-trip with my scooby and before I ask my mapper about it and start bombing him with stupid ideas, what would be your plan of action to set up some safety measures in case you get **** fuel.

Shell is not always available, fuel tank range is about 200 miles/tank, going to france, amsterdam, kholn, wien, budapest, zurich , amsterdam and uk.

Long stayover in Hungary. There the best fuel is MOL with 103 octane, i don't even remeber if there is shell over there, i think AGIP is the only one available which is the same no?

What would be something good to do?

- run a down-tuned map?
- i got apexi, and will put wideband o2, could enrichen map if needed when i see is running lean or get knocks.

Last edited by gaborpapp; 20 April 2015 at 11:12 PM.
Old 21 April 2015, 08:19 AM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take a load of Octane Boost bottles in the boot in pop one in on every fill up.
Old 21 April 2015, 08:45 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I'd do that. I don't speak for other countries, but haven't found french 98 octane to be bad, my Scoob, mapped for V-Power, runs well enough on it with no knock.

Supermarket stuff isn't ALWAYS as good, but if the s/m in question has quick sales, it's fine......and a LOT cheaper.
Old 21 April 2015, 04:15 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi there

As above I would buy few bottles of the Octane booster,I think Alyn@AS performance have best prices NF Formula or for Millers

Depends on ECU and knock strategy then you shouldn't be worried about this,but don't expect putting the 95RON when car is mapped for 99RON and ECU will correct this

I would keep eye on ignition and knock,this should be best to do so,but I would recommend to fill up best possible fuel which is available in country which you will be traveling

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura
Old 21 April 2015, 04:47 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

Through Germany you'll have no problem, plenty of Shell with V-Power 100 and Aral (basically BP) with Ultimate 100 & 102. Everywhere else will have 98.

In Austria, its also easy to find Shell with V-Power 100, OMV also have 100 and BP always have 98 and sometimes have 100. Like germany, 98 is standard for super-plus and available pretty much everywhere!

Switzerland has plenty of Shell and BP stations and 98 is pretty standard.

Holland, the fuel price is really expensive, so I always fill up before crossing the border, you can easily drive across the country without filling up

Never driven in Hungary, so don't know the score there.

France can sometimes be a bit hit and miss finding good fuel, I generally start looking for a decent fuel stop once I drop below 1/3 tank. The only place I needed octane booster was in Corsica where they only had 95.
Old 21 April 2015, 10:22 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

monitor knock levels rather than the AFR - the AFR shouldn't change unless your running out of fuel, the cheaper fuel will be unable to resist knock so the octane boosters on each tankful will see you right.
Old 22 April 2015, 10:41 AM
arumdevil
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For france I find most super is only 97, though shell I think is 98 and should be fine but will depend on your tune and mapping as others have said.