Newage front mount Intercooler on Classic

Search this Thread

Old 15 April 2015, 12:30 PM
gaborpapp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newage front mount Intercooler on Classic

Hello,

How different is the newage front mount intercooler piping and radiator from the classics one? I was presented with a nice make intercooler in good shape, however it came off from a bugeye instead of a classic. (i got a V4 impreza).

Do i need full piping to make it fit or is the core mounting points/shape also different?

Lastly I still run on stock WRX top mount, and i was advised to upgrade it of course. I can't fit a newage STI topmount as my NOS fogger will have no space for install due newages's increased size.

Only other option I would have for top mount is the V4 STI top mount, which wouldn't be much of an upgrade, would it?

Kind Regards,

Edit: at the moment my existing intercooler was moved back 20-40 mm to make space for the nos fogger. There is absolutely no space for wider intercooler as I already removed my strutbar, and intercooler comes all the way to the firewall. Newage IC's are wider I guess so I am sure they will not fit.

Last edited by gaborpapp; 15 April 2015 at 12:55 PM.
Old 15 April 2015, 06:57 PM
Dreep
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 20 Posts

The V4 STI TMIC will fit obviously but it's only good for flowing around 330/340 bhp so it depends on what you want from the car.

The newage core will fit but the pipework I'd imagine would require a fair bit of cutting and modifying to get it to fit a classic. You can get classic FMIC piping fairly cheap these days and it would only require minimal cutting to get it to fit the (usually) longer newage cores.
Old 15 April 2015, 07:05 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

The core does fit but you will need to adjust the pipework to suit a classic

Old 15 April 2015, 08:24 PM
gaborpapp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would prefer to keep the top-mount of course. Power is not an issue anymore as with nos i am already at 360 and limited by the 5 speed gearbox.

Question is, would the V4 top mount actually have better cooling? (is only a tiny bit bigger).

This time is making the engine run more efficient as intake temps are quite high with the WRX IC. I will start heat-shielding it but that won't make that much difference.

@banny - did you use the newage piping which needed cutting? or you bought the classic piping? Only asking because I have to give the guy an answer to his offer and need to know if I shall negotiate it without the piping perhaps.

I`m okay addapting the core to fit, pipes are harder just in case new/different shapes of silicone rubber is required which then puts the car on stop for a week or so.

Thanks.