Importing from Japan Query

Search this Thread

Old 12 April 2015, 11:13 AM
Craggy
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Importing from Japan Query

Hi,

I am looking at importing an impreza from Japan and my current train of thought is purchasing something very particular from a dealer, with me then paying them a price that includes shipping to the UK.
The plan is that I pick it up from the dock on my nephews car transporter and bring it home (after uk import fees etc) to get it ready for SVA.

The main flaw in this that I can see, although there may be others is that I will not personally or had anyone on my behalf look at the car prior to shelling out a substantial amount for it. I would be relying on online appraisals and my understanding (rightly or wrongly) that Japanese cars are typically in good condition or at least as described.

With this in mind does anyone know of a service whereby you can pay a company to inspect the vehicle prior to agreeing to purchase? or simply downright advise against what I am doing. Maybe I Am being naïve but just trying to make the purchase as cost efficient as possible as it not a cheap process!

Thanks in advance,

Neil
Old 12 April 2015, 11:46 AM
Lunchmoney
Scooby Regular

I've read some jap importer websites and some of them inspect the car on your behalf (as part of their fees) and give you a report. Without flying to Japan yourself, that's the best you are likely to get.
Old 12 April 2015, 12:39 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

But then if they miss anything what comeback do you have, For the difference in cost it's best leaving it to an importer IMO
Old 12 April 2015, 12:48 PM
Sarg400
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Plus most importers will tax & test it give it a service and give a 3 month warranty
Old 12 April 2015, 03:40 PM
Craggy
Scooby Newbie

Ok cheers,

I knew it was worth an ask to get an objective opinion. based on the points above I think I might just use somebody else to do it provided their cut is not excessive.
If I bought a dog and turned up at home with it on a trailer as the wife's new car id get kicked out the house
Old 15 April 2015, 05:15 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

If you buy from an Auction House, the cars wil be officially graded from 6-1 exterior/mechanical and A-D for interior. They will also come with a comprehensive summary sheet, detailing and modifications. These are generally reliable.

Dealers will also provide their own grades and summary for their used cars. Again, if you use a reputable dealer, these should also be reliable, as their reputation is at stake.

But you'd have to weight up how much you would save over going via an importer.
Old 15 April 2015, 05:31 PM
taylor85
Scooby Regular

Me and my mate priced up going to Japan as we both wanted a similar car , it's a expensive place and can't just fly in and out easily / cheap
Old 15 April 2015, 05:33 PM
FlatoutDave
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Pink Ninja
But then if they miss anything what comeback do you have, For the difference in cost it's best leaving it to an importer IMO
He's right why take the risk to save money when it could be false economy if you have imported a lemon. Remember even in Japan there just second hand salesmen like here! Would you trust one?

Last edited by FlatoutDave; 15 April 2015 at 05:37 PM.
Old 17 April 2015, 01:41 PM
timmy2take
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/v...ad.php?t=19868
Old 17 April 2015, 09:03 PM
Edmondo
Scooby Regular

A friend of my owns a garage and back in 2006 went to an Auction on my behalf in Southampton armed with some cash - picked me up a great Classic WRX which lasted me almost 8 years......11 year old car with 64k in kilometres on the clock cost me 4 grand.