Sponsored by:

wrx bug eye worth the dosh ? advice please

Search this Thread

Old 11 April 2015, 04:23 PM
jamie 1981
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wrx bug eye worth the dosh ? advice please

hi guys been looking at spending a good amount of dosh on a nice low miles wrx or possibly a sti. but that boat has sailed now. so i haven't got the sti money anymore so thats is out the question

so with 4 k to spend i have been to see a couple of blob eye wagons. and the miles don't put me off as much but the lack of history and. general condition did.. now maybe i was expecting to much for 4 k but most have been crap.

so last month i see a wrx wagon bug eye localish to me with good history. pretty much fsh. belts changed etc. also had prodrive exhaust and sports cat. upgraded fuel pump. new rad and hose etc etc. and low miles. backed up by history and old mot's. 79,000 miles. i though about it but one thing or another i didn't get chance to go see it. then it wasnt on auto trader the following week.

lucky for me i had emailed the guy so had his number. i went to see the car today and the inside is mint. history up to date. belts. coolant. oils. diff. gear box etc. started it from cold and it sounded very healthy. no tapping. no slapping etc like some of the forum members mention piston slap.

after warming up and looking through history the owner took me out in it. as i have sold my last car im not insured to drive other cars anymore. so i told him of this. of course if i want to go for the car i will take some out as i want to see for myself what clutch and gearbox and brakes are like etc.

he seams like a good honest lad and the car went well. stopped well. we where stuck in traffic for abit and no over heating etc. i also liked the fact it was fairly slent on tick over. just a nice burbel then when on boost it sounds lovely. not to loud as i have kids etc i dont want it to be to loud.

now here is the thing he had it up for £3700 and i mentioned £3500 he said maybe £3550 but we could come to a deal. of course i want to drive it for myself. but wanted to at least view and see if it was as good as the add mentioned.

what would you think the going rate is for a nice well looked after bug eye. is it to dear. or is it just at this current time the wrx and wrx wagons seam to have gone up in price abit.

my heart says buy it. but i don't want to pay over the odds. or insult the guy buy offering him to little.

any advice off you guys would be most welcome. please
Old 11 April 2015, 05:17 PM
Raptorman
Scooby Regular

You need to get a good look underneath, particularly the
rear arches up near the top of the suspension struts. I didn't
when I bought my bug wagon and both sides at the rear
were rusted through as mot tester put his hand through
when it was tested three months after I bought it.

I bought mine from a scoob website member and in the flesh
it looked the bees knees and paid just under £2.5k just over a year
ago with just over 90k miles.

Since I bought it I have had the holes in the rear arches welded, replaced
front calipers with good used ones, upgraded to stainless caliper pistons, just
bought new rear drop links and upgraded to grooved front discs.

I would heartily suggest you take someone who knows impreza's to give it
a good going over before spending your hard earned as it can get very expensive
very quickly.
Old 11 April 2015, 10:24 PM
stamina_daddy
Scooby Regular

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I would say that's far too much for a bug.
I bought one for 2250 4 years ago and struggled to sell it for 1800.
only 78k miles on it.
I spent a bit on it as well.
you should find a blob for that money.
Old 12 April 2015, 12:22 AM
goatblower
Scooby Regular

I paid £1500 for my 51 plate Bug wrx saloon, 103k but 1 owner with service history to around 90k & all mots & tac discs.....
Old 12 April 2015, 07:49 PM
jamie 1981
Scooby Newbie

looks like its a no go then. just have to wait my time for one to come along
Old 12 April 2015, 08:04 PM
stamina_daddy
Scooby Regular

Yeah just have to keep looking.
you can set notifications on ebay and auto trader I think to let you know when one gets listed.
Old 12 April 2015, 08:24 PM
stamina_daddy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jamie 1981
looks like its a no go then. just have to wait my time for one to come along
Have you looked in the cars for sale on here.give you an idea of what you can get for your money
Old 13 April 2015, 12:33 PM
jamie 1981
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by stamina_daddy
Have you looked in the cars for sale on here.give you an idea of what you can get for your money

I have had a little look from time to time. I guess one will come up rhat suotes my budget and needs. After looking at a couple I would definitely like a wagon for sure.
Old 13 April 2015, 01:15 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Prices have definitely risen in the last 6 months.

What people paid a couple of years ago is of little use to you as good ones are now sold at a premium and rightly so.
Old 15 April 2015, 05:07 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

With any "new" car, I'd budget a sensible amount for work that needs doing post purchase. Full service, all fluids & filters changes, brakes, tyres, possibly some suspension refresh. If I had a £4k budget, I'd probably be looking at spending £2.5k and the rest on replacing consumables. At least then you know that everything has been done properly and to your satisfaction.

Engine, gearbox, bodywork - these are the big cost items I'd be looking for in a car. Only you can really decide whether the car is worth the asking price, to you. If you are looking at the price in terms of depreciation or resale, that's probably a bit futile given the age and number of cars available.
Old 15 April 2015, 05:57 PM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TECHNOPUG
If I had a £4k budget, I'd probably be looking at spending £2.5k and the rest on replacing consumables.
Sorry but what total bollox.

Last edited by jayallen; 15 April 2015 at 05:58 PM.
Old 15 April 2015, 06:15 PM
JdcTypeR
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jayallen
Sorry but what total bollox.
Your right, he needs a least 5 grand to be safe
Old 15 April 2015, 07:26 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

If you can find a 10 year old car for 4k that is perfect in every way and doesn't need a penny spent on it, then maybe you should enter the car sales business. Personally, I'd rather spend lesson the car and the difference on fixing, replacing, updating & upgrading eveything to my satisfaction. You maybe happy with a brief inspection, some receipts from an unknown garage and the owner's word that everything is great.

Each to their own. All the consumables will need replacing in due course and unless you can verify that the suspension, brakes and tyres have been replaced recently, you have no knowledge of how the car has been driven, how the parts have worn or whether they have all been installed correctly. I'd rather get everything done as soon as I get the car. That way I won't be continually chasing issues and having to spend time and money every month. I know everything has been taken care of and I won't receive any nasty surprises.

You mileage may differ....
Old 15 April 2015, 08:40 PM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

If you can find a 10 year old car for 4k that is perfect in every way and doesn't need a penny spent on it, then maybe you should enter the car sales business. Personally, I'd rather spend lesson the car and the difference on fixing, replacing, updating & upgrading eveything to my satisfaction. You maybe happy with a brief inspection, some receipts from an unknown garage and the owner's word that everything is great.

Each to their own. All the consumables will need replacing in due course and unless you can verify that the suspension, brakes and tyres have been replaced recently, you have no knowledge of how the car has been driven, how the parts have worn or whether they have all been installed correctly. I'd rather get everything done as soon as I get the car. That way I won't be continually chasing issues and having to spend time and money every month. I know everything has been taken care of and I won't receive any nasty surprises.

Are you the sort of person who carries a clean pair of pants just in case you get run over and are rushed to A&E? Maybe 2 spare wheels in your boot just in case you are unlucky enough to have two punctures on your journey?

If a thorough inspection of a car is carried out then any immediate issues will be picked up and an "offer" based on those findings, anything that happens later down the line will be either wear'n'tear of a terminal failure and a terminal failure can happen to any car regardless of cost or age.
Old 16 April 2015, 12:38 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jayallen
Are you the sort of person who carries a clean pair of pants just in case you get run over and are rushed to A&E? Maybe 2 spare wheels in your boot just in case you are unlucky enough to have two punctures on your journey?

If a thorough inspection of a car is carried out then any immediate issues will be picked up and an "offer" based on those findings, anything that happens later down the line will be either wear'n'tear of a terminal failure and a terminal failure can happen to any car regardless of cost or age.
Yes, and all he is saying is go into it with your eyes wide open.

Tyres - £400
Brakes - £300
Suspension + Bushes + 'Lots'
Clutch - £400
Bodywork - Who knows!

Adds up very quickly and judging by what the OP says, he is looking for one is good condition.
So, either buy cheap and do the work yourself so you know its done, or make sure everything that you want in a car has been carried out by the previous owner.

Very simple really.

No need for the attitude bud.
Old 16 April 2015, 01:40 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

There's some good logic to this approach to be honest.

When I was looking for my SL I quickly gave up on the idea of spending £25/26K trying to find a perfect 7/8 yo car as they don't exist. I eventually went for a car that cost substantially less, but was mechanically excellent and then spent money on sorting the bodywork,wheels etc. to my standards!
Old 16 April 2015, 04:15 PM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gear Head
Yes, and all he is saying is go into it with your eyes wide open.

Tyres - £400
Brakes - £300
Suspension + Bushes + 'Lots'
Clutch - £400
Bodywork - Who knows!

Adds up very quickly and judging by what the OP says, he is looking for one is good condition.
So, either buy cheap and do the work yourself so you know its done, or make sure everything that you want in a car has been carried out by the previous owner.

Very simple really.

No need for the attitude bud.
Its not attitude its a comment based on more scoobynet scaremongering, if's when's and but's.....Much like the newbie who signs on and asks for opinions on a £3k 100k mile Impreza he has seen only be to be told to make sure he has a couple of grand in his bank just in case the bottom end or the HG goes....All great in an ideal world where everyone has a slush fund just for their car.

The car parts you listed are all wear'n'tear items and as I aforementioned, if any of them show signs of serious wear, then detection during an inspection will be apparent. Being told to buy a cheaper car than your budget allows "just in case" something happens to it is nonsense IMO and if you do buy a car and can't afford to fix it if it goes wrong, then you couldn't afford the car in the first place.

Last edited by jayallen; 16 April 2015 at 04:17 PM.
Old 16 April 2015, 08:51 PM
jacob360
Scooby Regular

check the front and rear sub frames, mines just rotted out on my bug, and the rear arches, look where it meets the rear bumper, but if you can find a bug with a new mot i think £2.8k is a good price.
i paid £2.3k 12 months ago with a fresh mot, seems mines suddenly rotted in the last 12 months some how
Old 22 April 2015, 10:35 PM
SmileyScooby
Scooby Regular

Bugeyes are beautiful! If you find a good one...you can take it up to quite high miles...I got mine in 2007 with 69k £5700....Prodrive kit and wheels(factory spec)
154k on the clock and only just part exed her for a Blob.
Old 22 April 2015, 10:37 PM
SmileyScooby
Scooby Regular

Needed a new abs pump and 2 wheel bearings...and both wings were scratched (old people hit them in car parks)...wasn't worth me spending anymore on her��
Old 26 April 2015, 03:06 AM
LeeG87
Scooby Regular

My bug wagon is going strong paid 1800 with loads of history serviced every 3k rear arches have just started to go been quoted 400 for them being sorted properly and just booked it in for cambelt doing its on 123k miles