Dccd gearbox advice

Search this Thread

Old 11 April 2015, 09:26 AM
matt12
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dccd gearbox advice

Ok my v2 STI ra is currently at the garage for a gearbox rebuild,
Still waiting on prices for parts etc, it could be a more viable option to source a used box in good working order,

The car will never be running huge power and probably won't see more than 330bhp and is only used as a second car on weekends with minimal mileage,

My question is do I proceed with the original box which could add up or source a good second hand one,

I know the 6 speeders will say that this conversion is the only way but is this really necessary considering the power levels I may get too?
Old 11 April 2015, 10:24 AM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

A rebuild on your box will not be cheap, and by the time it's all said and done you'd of been most of the way to buying a 6 speeder. Is a 6 speeder necessary...... probably not but it would sure give piece of mind hey.
It's whether you want to lose the close ratio that our original boxes have.
Buying a second hand one is still going to be the best part of £400 and do you really know what you are buying. It could let go 2 weeks down the road and then you are back where you started.

If you love the close box that the car came with and don't plan on big power then get it rebuilt.
If you're not that fussed about the ratio, use the car on long journeys or think you might up the power in the future then source a 6 speeder.

Out of interest, which garage are you using for the rebuild and how much have they quoted you ??
Old 11 April 2015, 10:32 AM
averyp2
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If it helps midland scooby spares have just listed a classic dccd box, diff and prop for £700 as an option. Will have the lower ratio but be stronger than the earlier boxes too.
Paul
Old 11 April 2015, 11:38 AM
matt12
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattyB1983
A rebuild on your box will not be cheap, and by the time it's all said and done you'd of been most of the way to buying a 6 speeder. Is a 6 speeder necessary...... probably not but it would sure give piece of mind hey.
It's whether you want to lose the close ratio that our original boxes have.
Buying a second hand one is still going to be the best part of £400 and do you really know what you are buying. It could let go 2 weeks down the road and then you are back where you started.

If you love the close box that the car came with and don't plan on big power then get it rebuilt.
If you're not that fussed about the ratio, use the car on long journeys or think you might up the power in the future then source a 6 speeder.

Out of interest, which garage are you using for the rebuild and how much have they quoted you ??

Three arches in Cardiff, just had a price for removing and returning box to car, getting a price to rebuild next week when all parts have been sourced etc,

I hear what your saying about the 6 speed, but there not indestructible and know this from personal experience from a former blob sti I owned, I suppose any second hand box is a risk.
Old 11 April 2015, 11:44 AM
matt12
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by averyp2
If it helps midland scooby spares have just listed a classic dccd box, diff and prop for £700 as an option. Will have the lower ratio but be stronger than the earlier boxes too.
Paul
Cheers been in contact with Stuart already as well a few other parties , will chat with the garage on Monday and see what direction they suggest and go from there,
All parties have said the boxes are in perfect working order so see what happens,
I agree 6 speeder will be great but with impending baby and house move coming very shortly around the corner my sensible side will probably tell me to get a good used 5 speed dccd,

The car does very little mileage, no motorways etc, purely just used for quick blasts in nice weather, decisions, decisions!!