Sponsored by:

Play/movement in rear wheel

Search this Thread

Old 29 March 2015, 09:32 PM
corno
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Play/movement in rear wheel

Driving home today and theres a noise that gets faster with speed... get out the car and check the wheels, on the passenger rear by grabbing the wheel and jolting it there's movement, I think you can move it from top to bottom and a tiny bit side to side, but not as much.

When I drove the car the noise and vibration stopped when the car was turning left? I figure that something has come loose or broken in the suspension components. I've checked all wheel bolts are tight and secure.

Any suggestions to how I can diagnose it or what I can look for? Thanks
Old 29 March 2015, 09:48 PM
scoobyjunky
Scooby Regular

Couple of possibilities for you wheel bearing collapsed loose nuts somewhere or recently I had was a worn lateral outer bush where the long bolt goes through the hub assembly caused more of a sway on boost than a vibration
Old 04 April 2015, 06:16 PM
corno
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyjunky
Couple of possibilities for you wheel bearing collapsed loose nuts somewhere or recently I had was a worn lateral outer bush where the long bolt goes through the hub assembly caused more of a sway on boost than a vibration
I took the rear passenger wheel bearing out and replaced it, that was definitely shot and in need of swapping.
I've just put the car back together and driven it around the block, the noise and vibration is still there. So frustrating!

Again, if I steer left the noise and vibration totally disappear. If I'm driving straight or steering right then the noise and vibration are very noticeable. Does anyone have any further ideas or suggestions before I have to give in and take it to the garage?