Sponsored by:

Intercooler confusion!

Search this Thread

Old 21 March 2015, 06:25 PM
mjharper
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Intercooler confusion!

Planning a VF43 + decat on my Hawk WRX and hear conflicting views on which intercooler would be required.

Some say standard is more than enough for what I want (approx 350+ bhp) others say go for an STI tmic and there is even the case for a fmic

Anyone got a similar set up?
Old 21 March 2015, 10:50 PM
Markfey
Scooby Regular

I think most of the confusion comes from people saying "your standard one will be fine". Unfortunately people post without properly reading someone's spec or their comments get taken out of context.

General rule of thumb, STi intercooler 300 - 400. After that it's the fmic route.

However....... All cars are different and act differently.

Have you also considered injectors and fuel pump for your setup?
Old 21 March 2015, 11:11 PM
mjharper
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markfey
I think most of the confusion comes from people saying "your standard one will be fine". Unfortunately people post without properly reading someone's spec or their comments get taken out of context.

General rule of thumb, STi intercooler 300 - 400. After that it's the fmic route.

However....... All cars are different and act differently.

Have you also considered injectors and fuel pump for your setup?
Already have a 255 pump (and forged pistons), I think the Hawk WRX injectors are the same as the STI (luckily!)

I'll look out for an STI tmic then, I've also been told to get the under tray as well? easy job to switch I'm hoping?

thanks
Old 22 March 2015, 08:29 AM
forgedmarco
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by mjharper
Already have a 255 pump (and forged pistons), I think the Hawk WRX injectors are the same as the STI (luckily!)

I'll look out for an STI tmic then, I've also been told to get the under tray as well? easy job to switch I'm hoping?

thanks
Yeah injectors are the same, not sure about hawk but on previous newages you do need the matching under tray to get as much air into the intercooler.
Old 22 March 2015, 09:13 AM
Markfey
Scooby Regular

You should be able to source all the bits complete from mattybr mbdevelopments in the trader section. He'll also give you some great advice.

You'll only really know what's happening while it's being mapped. They'll be able to tell you if its a fuel/air etc that's hold it back.

Good luck and make sure you keep the thread updated with the result and mappers opinion.
Old 22 March 2015, 09:58 AM
Richair743
Scooby Regular

Look at it this way, which intercooler did Subaru/STI pair with the VF43 in OEM fitment?.. There's no point in not upgrading the intercooler if you're going to the trouble of changing the turbo, lowering the intake charge temps will not only help with power but more importantly will help to reduce the risk of det. No brainer IMHO.
Old 22 March 2015, 11:13 AM
mjharper
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Richair743
Look at it this way, which intercooler did Subaru/STI pair with the VF43 in OEM fitment?.. There's no point in not upgrading the intercooler if you're going to the trouble of changing the turbo, lowering the intake charge temps will not only help with power but more importantly will help to reduce the risk of det. No brainer IMHO.
Can't really argue with that