Sponsored by:

Cosworth CS400 or 2 Cars?

Search this Thread

Old 16 March 2015, 09:47 PM
Not a Diesel!!!
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cosworth CS400 or 2 Cars?

The CS400 in the classifieds for £28k got me thinking as I fancy one. But That's a lot of wedge. As I already have a supper low mileage widetrack worth say £12k tops that leave me with £16k. My thoughts are you need to buy it & run both cars for the cost of the CS400 which is high tax band & short service intervals so it should be easy to find something that cumulatively costs the same. I do about 6k a year so about 3k miles each.

So:

2005 STI Widetrack ppp

+

(any of the below)
A. 2000 Z3M Roadster
B. 2012 MX5 with BBR Turbo Kit
C. 2005 Honda S2000
D. Z4 3.0 Coupe
E. Z4 Alpina Roadster

or a CS400?
Old 16 March 2015, 10:02 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I went from a Widetrack Blob to my Cosworth. I wouldn't go back to a widetrack after experiencing and living with the Cosworth, it's a vastly superior car. The only machines that can offer something as special are the hardcore JDM cars.

The Cosworth is a great car because it does the Subaru bit very well, but is a lot more comfortable and refined at the same time. It is two cars in one, and certainly a great machine for someone who doesn't cover much mileage.

I nearly took the advert for mine down last night as I'm not entirely sure if I want to part with it. But it's not being used as much these days - and they way things are going with me I'm going to have even less time to spend with it - and it's not worth owning such a lovely car unless you have the time to enjoy it.
Old 16 March 2015, 10:05 PM
micky
Scooby Regular

CATERHAM to the list
Old 16 March 2015, 10:08 PM
plenty
Scooby Regular

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

I’ve had this debate with various people and the answer comes down to...it’s an individual decision.

For me, two or more cars is always better than one assuming you have the money, the space and the time. It allows you to select cars for different occasions and choose cars which are more focused than would be acceptable for an all-rounder which is inevitably a compromise. Most importantly, it keeps the special car feeling special as you’re not having to sit in traffic jams or do the supermarket run in it.

Not including the family car which is primarily driven by the Mrs, I have two and am in the market for a third. (I’ve been up to four at one point but just don’t have the time to stay on top of such a large fleet.)

- M5 for when I actually need to go somewhere
- WRX RA for the weekend
- Now looking for a modded newage or JDM for driving holidays in Europe where 400+ would be nice

The counter-argument to this is “I’d rather be in my nice car all the time and buy the nicest car that I can afford”. I don’t personally subscribe to this opinion but I do understand it.

p.s. based on your list I’d be looking at Z4M Roadsters or a 987 3.4 Boxster
Old 16 March 2015, 10:17 PM
Mog
Scooby Regular

Just got myself a 410bhp Litchfield Type 20 hatch and gotta say its the best Subaru I've had by far.....and had a few...P1, STi Legacy, FSTi x3, T25, Spec C RA and 330s.

Would be very interested to drive a CS400 to compare to the Type 20

There are a few CS400's out there but rarely does a Type 20 come up.

Last edited by Mog; 16 March 2015 at 10:18 PM.
Old 16 March 2015, 10:17 PM
Not a Diesel!!!
Scooby Regular

Caterham is a fair alternative drive.

I had considered a Boxter S but don't know much about them. The higher Tax & running costs of the Z4M was putting me off a little hence flipping to the Alpina version (& I have been in a B3S & the engine noise was epic)
Old 16 March 2015, 10:19 PM
Not a Diesel!!!
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by thenewgalaxy
I went from a Widetrack Blob to my Cosworth. I wouldn't go back to a widetrack after experiencing and living with the Cosworth, it's a vastly superior car. The only machines that can offer something as special are the hardcore JDM cars.

The Cosworth is a great car because it does the Subaru bit very well, but is a lot more comfortable and refined at the same time. It is two cars in one, and certainly a great machine for someone who doesn't cover much mileage.

I nearly took the advert for mine down last night as I'm not entirely sure if I want to part with it. But it's not being used as much these days - and they way things are going with me I'm going to have even less time to spend with it - and it's not worth owning such a lovely car unless you have the time to enjoy it.

I have seen your very add. It is a dilemma. I am sure I will have one at some point just deciding when. I'm sure I will miss the boat an values will rise.
Old 16 March 2015, 10:27 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd go with the Cosworth personally, I've done the 2 cars 5 bikes and a boat thing and there just isn't enough time in life to do all of them justice, something has to give, for me it ended up being the bikes and the boat, then the car still spent most of it's time sat in the garage as it was a ball ache making the effort to use it, much better to have one car that does everything, although that said I wouldn't really pick a Cosworth to use for the tip run.
Old 16 March 2015, 10:38 PM
plenty
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Not a Diesel!!!

I had considered a Boxter S but don't know much about them. The higher Tax & running costs of the Z4M was putting me off a little hence flipping to the Alpina version (& I have been in a B3S & the engine noise was epic)
The Boxster is a fine-handling car. They do have engine issues though so worth reading up.

The Elise/VX220 route may be worth exploring.
Old 16 March 2015, 10:40 PM
plenty
Scooby Regular

Another benefit of the multi-car route is that you get to sample more of the many interesting cars that £10-15k will buy.
Old 16 March 2015, 11:12 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Z3m or mx5 bbr pure smils of fun
Old 18 March 2015, 12:53 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oooh its a difficult decision, but at 28k you are about 7k off a GT-R money wise, and really even a well pampered Cosworth v a GT-R.... only one winner and its not a Cosworth
Old 18 March 2015, 07:55 AM
FlatoutDave
Scooby Regular

If you can afford two cars I would, having one great car is good but variety is the spice of life! I'd go soft top for your second car as it will give you different experiences. The wind in the hair etc, as long as it isn't raining!
Old 18 March 2015, 10:56 AM
Kosy
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mog - did you buy the white 09 plate Type 20 that was up for sale at Litchfields a few weeks ago? Lucky man.

Tony - I don't think the Cosworth and GTR are very comparable at the moment. £28k gets you a good Cosworth however the additional £7k only gets you into the bottom end of the GTR market. The running costs / potential bills are worlds apart too. GTR is supercar performance with the associated costs.
Old 18 March 2015, 08:06 PM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

You'll regret it, they really are a special car.
Old 19 March 2015, 10:13 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

personaly s204 or hawk ra/ra-r over a cosworth any day of the week.

But thats purley personal preference
Old 19 March 2015, 01:02 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tidgy
personaly s204 or hawk ra/ra-r over a cosworth any day of the week.

But thats purley personal preference
All very special cars but that's like saying you'd prefer a cheeseburger or ice cream.

S204 is reasonably close to the Cosworth in terms of refinement and with suspension upgrades and better brakes. It is the kind of car that can be used on a long journey or a B-road blast.

RA-R is a stripped out hoon-wagon with no sound proofing, designed for track work.

In an ideal world you'd have one for serious hoonage and one for the road. But something like an S204 or Cosworth is the all-rounder if you can only have one.
Old 19 March 2015, 03:54 PM
FlatoutDave
Scooby Regular

All very special cars but that's like saying you'd prefer a cheeseburger or ice cream.

S204 is reasonably close to the Cosworth in terms of refinement and with suspension upgrades and better brakes. It is the kind of car that can be used on a long journey or a B-road blast.

RA-R is a stripped out hoon-wagon with no sound proofing, designed for track work.

In an ideal world you'd have one for serious hoonage and one for the road. But something like an S204 or Cosworth is the all-rounder if you can only have one.
:
Old 19 March 2015, 04:04 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Not a Diesel!!!

I owned a Boxster S and it was the most disappointing car I have ever had. I then got an S2000 which is the best car I have ever had. Bombproof (inlike the Porsche), better built than the Porsche, better looking than the Porsche and a lot more fun than the Porsche.
Old 19 March 2015, 04:26 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by f1_fan
I owned a Boxster S and it was the most disappointing car I have ever had. I then got an S2000 which is the best car I have ever had. Bombproof (inlike the Porsche), better built than the Porsche, better looking than the Porsche and a lot more fun than the Porsche.
have to concur on the boxster, had one for a week. dull as dishwater and gutless
Old 19 March 2015, 04:55 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
have to concur on the boxster, had one for a week. dull as dishwater and gutless
Yep, the impression I got was that it was capable of so much more, but had been deliberately dumbed down so as not to worry the 911 sales I guess. It was not reliable either though which was a sad surprise.
Old 19 March 2015, 09:48 PM
Not a Diesel!!!
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan

I worry about the S2K's lack of Torque. I ran a Megane R26 with a remap back-to back with my wifes 197. Must have had half the torque. Great when you work it but slowish the rest of the time.
Old 19 March 2015, 09:50 PM
Not a Diesel!!!
Scooby Regular

There is an RA up at the moment that took my eye but I do like my creature comforts which is what I like about the Cosworth. Always liked the RB320 for the same reason but would never trust the engine after reading on this forum.
Old 20 March 2015, 07:27 PM
Scrappy9
Scooby Regular

My wife has had a Boxster S for her last two cars, around five years never had any problems with either of them, touch wood.

I find them an enjoyable drive, if a bit small but then again I normally drive a 4x4, which may explain it