Sponsored by:

Bumpsteer on a P1?

Search this Thread

Old 09 May 2001, 07:07 PM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Anyone had Powerstation's bumpsteer mod done on a P1 yet?

Feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Josh
Old 09 May 2001, 11:00 PM
russell hayward
Scooby Regular

Yes.

Can't tell you if the geometry made much difference cos I can't remember and had it done just after I got the car, so was still feeling my way with it. I do remeber the turn in improved .

However, the bumpsteer removal is nothing short of a miracle. Where I live there I many B roads with crap/uneven surfaces. My RB5 was all over the place on this type of road.

The P1 refuses to be moved off line, no matter what.

My only problem is torque steer, which is a combination of 18" wheels and the increased torque the car has due to the manifold/downpipe/exhaust.

Cheers

Russ

Edited to say : Try it Saturday and see what you think !

[This message has been edited by russell hayward (edited 09 May 2001).]
Old 09 May 2001, 11:06 PM
NOZZER
Scooby Regular

Was going to ask the same question. Had it on my97 last car and was a miracle. The handling on the P1 seems loads better anyway but still running it in.
Russell,
What d/p and exhuast are you running? Any filter mods? Is it worth it as much as it is on uk turbo?
Regards
Ian
Old 10 May 2001, 12:04 AM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

Thanks Russell, I'll take you up on that!

Any others had the mod done on their P1?

Josh
Old 10 May 2001, 01:14 PM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

Wink

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by russell hayward:
<B>My only problem is torque steer, which is a combination of 18" wheels and the increased torque the car has due to the manifold/downpipe/exhaust.[/quote]<I>Technically</I> that isn't torque steer. Torque steer happens in cars with unequal length driveshafts, causing the car to pull to one side under acceleration. The Scooby's transmission runs right down the centre, so the driveshafts are the same length left & right, hence no torque steer.

What you're describing is power-on oversteer & understeer caused by a powerful car running on ultra-low profile tyres!

I'll get my coat...
Old 10 May 2001, 09:07 PM
russell hayward
Scooby Regular

Sorry to disagree David, but what I am experiencing is not what you are describing.

If it's not torque steer, then its near enough to warrant that description.

You can feel one of the front wheels "dig in" and supply more grip than the other, when going in a straight line, such as when having just emerged to overtake.

Maybe its variation in the road surface, but it didn't used to happen, so it's either down to the tyre wear ( which is not great) or the increase in power due to the engine mods.

Funnily enough, I didnt get this with the RB5, but I did get it with a my95, with ecu mods running and holding 18/19psi boost.

I may be wrong, but I call it torque steer. Or maybe we are talking about the same thing.

Now I'll get my coat.

Old 11 May 2001, 10:11 AM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

Wink

Ahhh, might be the effect of the front diff. Unless you've changed it, you still have the open diff on the front as opposed to the limited slip diff on the rear.

It's possible that this would cause what you're seeing - one of the fronts starts to spin, but the other doesn't, causing the car to pull to one side.

A good test would be if it was always consistently in the same direction when accelerating hard on a left-hand bend. If it was, then it would probably be transmission-related. If the car randomly pulls left or right, then it's probably suspension.

Of course, I have no way of proving this!