Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I must be mad... Placed a deposit on a 2012 saloon STI!

Search this Thread

Old 22 February 2015, 12:35 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I must be mad... Placed a deposit on a 2012 saloon STI!

Argh! I spent £6k more than I had really planned to but both myself and the wife agreed that it was worth it to get into a new(ish) Scooby. This will be our 4th now.

I sold my wagon a couple of weeks ago after deciding I'd be mental to pour thousands into it messing with it and now here we are. I can't leave these bloody things!

Went down to the Subaru dealer in Coventry yesterday to see it/do the deal. Didn't get any money off but we managed to negotiate in new front discs and pads, scuff on the rear bumper sorting, front bumper was going to be sorted and repainted and we got them to agree to paint the bonnet too due to stone chips. I'm pretty pleased with all that to be honest.

So now just trying to contain myself while we wait to pick it up! Mind you, I have just got an old M3 to build a track car with so that is keeping me occupied just now

Decided to finance via HP rather than with any kind of balloon payment at the end as I've gone into this with my eyes wide open and know I'd be mad to not keep something to one side for forged pistons once the 12 month warranty expires.
Old 22 February 2015, 12:47 PM
dabiscuit
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good for you! I had a 2010 WRX STI and loved it. I just couldn't justify the monthly finance and running costs so sold it after a year, bought a bike, sold that then got what I currently have a standard hawkeye wrx (which I am slowly bringing to better than STI spec)!
Old 22 February 2015, 01:53 PM
scoobyranger
Scooby Regular

Yep, definitely mad.

I'd be very interested to see/hear how you get on with your m3 track car though!
Is there a project thread?
Old 22 February 2015, 03:28 PM
Peter Pan
Scooby Regular

I really like the saloon also a 330s hatch and would have one in a heart beat but it's the potential engine issue that can happen that's stopping me over a new Octavia VRS, my good lady has fallen for the VRS after a test drive a few weeks ago although I was expecting a little more from it but she's the one who'll be driving it the most.
Personally I don't think your mad as it's your hard earned and sounds like you know what your going into so enjoy your new car and post some pics up when you pick her up.
Old 22 February 2015, 04:02 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't think your mad for buying one, but I think your taking a serious risk by not dropping it off at API or ScoobyClinic on the way back up to Leeds and leave it there to let them forge it for you and "Pat the man" do the mapping, at the VERY least I'd be doing the latter.
Old 22 February 2015, 04:20 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Peter Pan
I really like the saloon also a 330s hatch and would have one in a heart beat but it's the potential engine issue that can happen that's stopping me over a new Octavia VRS, my good lady has fallen for the VRS after a test drive a few weeks ago although I was expecting a little more from it but she's the one who'll be driving it the most.
Personally I don't think your mad as it's your hard earned and sounds like you know what your going into so enjoy your new car and post some pics up when you pick her up.
Would love this 330 hatch!!!
http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...uk-car/3671089
Old 22 February 2015, 04:33 PM
Peter Pan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyboy1
Yes that's very nice and in the right colour too
Old 22 February 2015, 05:34 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
I don't think your mad for buying one, but I think your taking a serious risk by not dropping it off at API or ScoobyClinic on the way back up to Leeds and leave it there to let them forge it for you and "Pat the man" do the mapping, at the VERY least I'd be doing the latter.
Not while it's got the 12 months warranty in place, I'm afraid. After that, we will be looking at something along those lines
Old 22 February 2015, 05:45 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay Cartay
Not while it's got the 12 months warranty in place, I'm afraid. After that, we will be looking at something along those lines
that doesnt make sense as if the engine fails within the 12 month period they will only replace it with another non forged 2.5................
Old 22 February 2015, 05:53 PM
poolio74
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by the shreksta
that doesnt make sense as if the engine fails within the 12 month period they will only replace it with another non forged 2.5................
What he said.
Old 22 February 2015, 07:37 PM
scoobyranger
Scooby Regular

Presumably the op is being on the safe side incase something other than the engine were to fail (any mods would void the entire warranty) and perhaps doesn't need the expense of forging so soon after buying?
I also thought I'd heard stories of some people managing to strike deals on replacing the engine (ie receiving the money instead) and paying the difference to get it forged somewhere else. No idea where I've got that from just thought I'd heard some stories (unless I'm completely misinformed).
Old 22 February 2015, 07:45 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

Was just about to say that.

Well done on 2012 Saloon, you will stand out from the nasty hatches

Originally Posted by scoobyranger
Presumably the op is being on the safe side incase something other than the engine were to fail (any mods would void the entire warranty) and perhaps doesn't need the expense of forging so soon after buying?
I also thought I'd heard stories of some people managing to strike deals on replacing the engine (ie receiving the money instead) and paying the difference to get it forged somewhere else. No idea where I've got that from just thought I'd heard some stories (unless I'm completely misinformed).
Old 22 February 2015, 10:15 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Yeah just playing it safe. The thing is, if it goes an they replace it with another non forged then what's the problem? I'll just have a decent map put on it/forge it after the warranty expires.
Old 23 February 2015, 03:07 AM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

M3 is here BTW:
http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...%2E0+Track+Toy
Old 23 February 2015, 06:18 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You should change both your usernames to "Lemon Lover"
Old 23 February 2015, 10:00 AM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
You should change both your usernames to "Lemon Lover"
Old 23 February 2015, 04:47 PM
scoobyranger
Scooby Regular

The m3 looks decent, expensive though.
Might be derailing the thread a bit but didn't they do a 3.2ltr m3. About 320bhp or something?
Can I cheekily ask roughly how much yours set you back?
Old 23 February 2015, 06:00 PM
IainMilford
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay Cartay
Yeah just playing it safe. The thing is, if it goes an they replace it with another non forged then what's the problem? I'll just have a decent map put on it/forge it after the warranty expires.
Who knows it might not blow up!

I do like the styling of the newer saloon so good luck to you!
Old 23 February 2015, 06:18 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Yeah there's a 3.2 but it would be too powerful for the series I want to race in next year.

I paid £3k for mine. Now I've scratched the surface is say it was about £500 too much, but I don't mind as I plan to keep it and develop it over a long period.

There's not much love on here for anything Subaru that's non 2 litre is there?
Old 23 February 2015, 06:28 PM
scoobyranger
Scooby Regular

^ there's not, no.

Although, I thought most 2.5ltrs exhibited some symptoms prior to failure? Similar symptoms to that of hg failure?
Tbh, I'm not a huge fan of the 2010-12 saloon. However, I've got the new saloon on order (sorry, had to get that in).
Got any pics of it and when you collecting?
Old 23 February 2015, 06:58 PM
Budgie
Scooby Regular

We've had our 2011 320R saloon since new and never had any problems so its not all bad news, and they are ultra rare
Welcome to the owners club

Old 23 February 2015, 07:05 PM
scoobyranger
Scooby Regular

^ that is very nice!
Needs a spoiler though imo
Old 23 February 2015, 08:55 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Hoping to collect in a couple of weeks when it's been fully sorted for us. I was very pleased to see brand new PZero tyres all round. I can't wait to get it but I won't dare park it anywhere!

That's bloody lovely Budgie! How do you find living with it?

Here's a few photos I took on Saturday:

Old 23 February 2015, 09:15 PM
Budgie
Scooby Regular

Hi Jay
I love the car
The wife uses it as her daily driver, and she is just the same about where she parks it
The only downside is the road tax but we don't buy these sort of cars if we are on a budget. It would appear that they are holding value quite well at the moment too.
You will need to do some exhaust work if you want a decent sound out of it, we had a pair of custom made back boxes done 10days after we got ours.
Hope you enjoy and keep us posted on any mods
Old 23 February 2015, 09:22 PM
scoobyranger
Scooby Regular

I think I've changed my opinion.
Looks to have quite a wide arch stance, more so than what I thought.
Any mods planned?
Old 23 February 2015, 09:38 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Well not beyond the obvious of forging and mapping once the warranty is up really. But the car is on 69k and that's pretty much why it was the cheapest in the network. It will need things doing across the next couple of years, so I will upgrade as things come up.

It's a daily though, so I won't go too far. It's also really hard to think of mods without having had some proper time in the car.

My wife will be driving this whenever the chance comes up Budgie, so she'll be pleased to know she's not the only Scooby Girl tearing around with a daft grin on her face!
Old 24 February 2015, 11:07 PM
Rex300
Scooby Regular

Hi jay, looks great, really nice. You didn't need my old wheels for long though!
I've finally put my classic speedlines in for repair and powder coat so looking forward to the spring!
Bet you can't wait either with the new car!
James
Old 25 February 2015, 08:00 AM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Received 264 Likes on 172 Posts

Very lucky man ,, I got lent a brand new 2014 STI for my wedding day by the main dealer and it was amazing to drive ,, one week after the wedding i traded in my hawk for a forged 330 hatch , wanted a salon like yours but couldn't find one at the right price so happily brought my hatchback but will be trading up again in a few years lol
Old 25 February 2015, 09:52 AM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by domino46
Very lucky man ,, I got lent a brand new 2014 STI for my wedding day by the main dealer and it was amazing to drive ,, one week after the wedding i traded in my hawk for a forged 330 hatch , wanted a salon like yours but couldn't find one at the right price so happily brought my hatchback but will be trading up again in a few years lol
Nice one

Think this might be my last one before I finally scratch the 911 itch, so I intend to enjoy it over the next few years. I'll be bored by the time the warranty is up anyway so I'm sure it will be a very different car by the end of its time with me
Old 09 March 2015, 12:06 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Well I collected the car on Saturday morning and.... wow! I'm over the moon. I really am. Such a fantastic car. It goes brilliantly and it's really lovely.

I've had the fancy interiors etc. with the BMW 5 Series and the 3 Series cars I've had and I do miss a couple of the toys but the inside of this is really nice compared to the old cars and I can only imagine that the 2015 car is even better. It really feels like a more grown up STI and I mean that in a really good way.

Will start saving in the next couple of months for the forging when the 12 months warranty runs out. Something to look forward to. I plan to just enjoy it in the meantime.

I love it. The Mrs loves it. Life is good!

Quick Reply: I must be mad... Placed a deposit on a 2012 saloon STI!