Sponsored by:

Bits to do at Slowboy

Search this Thread

Old 15 February 2015, 05:36 PM
lloydsound
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bits to do at Slowboy

So Im gonna book my car in with Neil at Slowboy for week after next. The car feels like it needs some more TLC. I have been driving it like an old woman because every time I open her up I still get a burning smell when I stop and even after an hour of driving the same smell is still coming from the bonnet but fainter. It cant still be the spilt coolant burning off the from the last hose which went. Any how I am thinking of replacing quite a bit, some of which is precautionary, but if you guys have any pointers or you think I shouldnt replace any of these bits (bearing in mind the car was sitting in the cold for months and months). I have to get this car up to scratch now.

All new Samco hoses

New Radiator (an ally one)
New thermostat

The car sometimes feel like it only just starts so maybe a new starter motor?
New battery as a matter of course? Any old one okay? or is there a particular reommended high power one?

New wheel bearing (OSF) and hub

New pads & discs (despite having new aftermarket pads, they dont feel as sharp as I would expect, plus they feel inconsistent, especially at extreme low speeeds, and they are very noisy, squealing on the drivers side and also that low muffled sound too form the other side. I also think I can hear a low level high-pitched sound of air when i stop, literally as i stop). If Neil drives it and says that the standard Brembos should be a LOT better then maybe I'll stick with the standard ones however if not then I'll get drilled/grooved discs with some uprated pads - suggestions welcome. Bearing in mind this is for road use and not track, although maybe once I have confidence in the car not going bang when it is driven hard, then I could be tempted to do the odd track day in it - after all these cars are supposed to be able to be driven this way?

Suspension is creaky and a bit knocky at the rear when turning sharp (worse when turning right maybe?) I am unsure what this could be, but if Neil finds a few issues which add up then I may consider upgrading the suspension, but would need some pointers here too.

MAJOR service, plugs, fluids etc

Remap for UK fuel along with upping the BHP to something "sensible", decat/fuel pump/panel filter, but NOT the exhaust as I like the sound of this one.

Maybe renew the M.O.T before the Decat/remap so that I can get a full year without having to change it back.

The only thing worrying me is this smell, as with my previous car I experienced the same smell and was told that there was nothing to worry about, only to find that the head gasket went and I binned the car. So I hope its a simple oil leak or something.

Either way as you can probably see, I am considering spending a fair whack with Neil and it's all in the name of getting this vehicle up to scratch. As usual any suggestions are welcome. If you have anything to advise then please do as I know nothing about these cars.

Thanks as always guys

Lloyd

Old 15 February 2015, 05:57 PM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could just buy a new car to be honest.
Old 15 February 2015, 05:59 PM
lloydsound
Scooby Regular

lol, thanks.
Old 15 February 2015, 06:00 PM
lloydsound
Scooby Regular

JDM ownership.... its an epidemic
Old 15 February 2015, 06:01 PM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Yes it is, but 1, you bought a lemon, and 2, it was a bugeye.

Two problems from the outset.

I would of taken that heap of crap back to who you bought it from quite frankly

Imagine what you could of bought when you put together how much you are going to spend! A proper JDM Twinscroll
Old 15 February 2015, 06:08 PM
lloydsound
Scooby Regular

i know but it is all I have now, so have to be as productive as I can. I still love the car and I'm sure there are no major problems, it is frustrating to know that it cant be used as an every day car until I do these bits (which hopefully will sort it), Max can ony do so much and getting it back to Bedfordshire every time a hose is goes is virtually impossible, so I have made an executive decision, lol
Old 15 February 2015, 06:12 PM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Car wasnt sold fit for purpose. Simple as really.. But up to you, Good luck hope it all goes well!
Old 15 February 2015, 06:20 PM
lloydsound
Scooby Regular

Realistically could I still get a full refund?
Old 15 February 2015, 06:28 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Burning smell will be the rocker cover gasket on the drivers side.
Old 15 February 2015, 06:30 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trinity
Car wasnt sold fit for purpose. Simple as really.. But up to you, Good luck hope it all goes well!
How do you know that? It's 13 years old and bound to have a few issues. He didn't buy a new car did he!
Old 15 February 2015, 06:30 PM
lloydsound
Scooby Regular

Thanks buddy.
Old 15 February 2015, 06:32 PM
lloydsound
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gear Head
How do you know that? It's 13 years old and bound to have a few issues. He didn't buy a new car did he!

I have bought a 2nd hand car and in my mind I knew I may need to fork a little bit out in the early days due to the nature of it not being driven for a while, and seeing as these cars lend themselves to being such great project cars I thought that I may end up doing a few subtle mods, so if I can combine the two then I'm not too put out in the long run.

I will get Neils opinion too as he works on these cars day-in, day-out
Old 15 February 2015, 06:39 PM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gear Head
a few issues?its been fooked since day one. Wasn't sold fit for purpose, i.e a car to drive everyday.
Old 15 February 2015, 07:36 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

a few issues?its been fooked since day one. Wasn't sold fit for purpose, i.e a car to drive everyday.
What's actually failed on it since purchase?
Old 15 February 2015, 07:41 PM
lloydsound
Scooby Regular

Two hoses have perished, both times resulting in smoke from the bonnet and being in the garage - although both times the hose was next to Nothing. When I bought it, it had a new wheel bearing which needed replacing within two weeks because apparently the hub was no good, so again it couldn't have been helped. And last time (2 weeks ago) there was smoke from the bonnet again and a jubilee clip needed tightening on a hose. Problem being that this was located near the exhaust manifold and was a pig to get to. Only real problem was a fuel leak from the fuel line. All things which keep happening because of it not being driven
Old 15 February 2015, 08:25 PM
Markfey
Scooby Regular

As Gear Head has said it does sound like the common problem of the rocker gasket on drivers side. The oil drops on to the manifold hence the burning smell.

It might be an idea to get yourself a kit. I've used advanced automotive through eBay as they're reasonably priced and quick delivery. I was advised to get the set with the "half moon"pieces included, not sure if this applies to your engine. If we're wrong you can send the kit back but i'm sure SBR will want to concentrate on the more important faults at first.

Good luck and make sure you update us all with a result.
Old 15 February 2015, 08:25 PM
lloydsound
Scooby Regular

Anyway any pointers towards the mods would
Be grateful
Old 15 February 2015, 09:36 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Samco's, radiator, thermostat, discs + pads: do them yourself.
Old 15 February 2015, 09:38 PM
lloydsound
Scooby Regular

They're not the kind of thing I really know how to do to be honest. Plus I am about to get very busy at work. I'm sure I would save a lot of money but can't be doing with it
Old 16 February 2015, 09:31 PM
hooley scoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lloydsound
They're not the kind of thing I really know how to do to be honest. Plus I am about to get very busy at work. I'm sure I would save a lot of money but can't be doing with it

your gonna have repairs and issues with a 13year old car. I to have a prodrive sti 2002 and is no where near perfect or in mint condition {everytime i go out to it seems like some **** has put another ding or scratch on her} but i love it. enjoy the car mate and spend your money as you see fit. let me know how you get on at slowboy am thinking of going there myself

Last edited by hooley scoob; 16 February 2015 at 09:33 PM.
Old 17 February 2015, 11:06 AM
lloydsound
Scooby Regular

Thanks markfey and hooleyscoob.

Gonna buy a few bits this week and can anyone recommend good pads/discs - have decided to go with drilled/grooved and upgraded discs. I want the brakes to be as sharp as can be with a decent feeling underfoot so will get Neil to put braided hoses and change the brake fluid too. EBC Yellow stuff any good?
Old 17 February 2015, 04:09 PM
Athame1
Scooby Regular

That's what I went with (not drilled just grooved) they are ok been on the car 3 years now. Wouldn't go yellow or ebc again not a problem just a change.

Got my set up from aztec Performance

Heard good things about Godspeed as well.
https://www.scoobynet.com/vendor_directory.php
Old 17 February 2015, 04:19 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Either of these options is good: http://www.superhids.co.uk/brakes/br...ront-set-.html

or

http://www.superhids.co.uk/brakes/br...ront-pair.html

Old 08 March 2015, 01:35 PM
Athame1
Scooby Regular

How did you get on?
Old 08 March 2015, 03:54 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

I hardly think a couple of perished hoses and a loose jubilee clip denotes being 'not fit for purpose'.
Old 08 March 2015, 04:51 PM
lloydsound
Scooby Regular

Car gets collected tomorrow, quite keen to see how much difference the remap makes and Neil says he can quite easily get it up to 330 BHP, I wonder what it is now??

Got him doing the wheel bearings/hub and a major service with plugs and all fluids, subject to his findings upon inspection of course.

Bit dubious about the overall figure but I wouldn't wanna take it anywhere else. Hopefully he can also rectify my shoddy job at replacing the roof vent sill, which has stopped leaking but now has wind noise over 50 mph, lol

Will report back
Old 08 March 2015, 07:45 PM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Car gets collected tomorrow, quite keen to see how much difference the remap makes and Neil says he can quite easily get it up to 330 BHP, I wonder what it is now??

Got him doing the wheel bearings/hub and a major service with plugs and all fluids, subject to his findings upon inspection of course.

Bit dubious about the overall figure but I wouldn't wanna take it anywhere else. Hopefully he can also rectify my shoddy job at replacing the roof vent sill, which has stopped leaking but now has wind noise over 50 mph, lol

Will report back
One thing about Neil is he isn't cheap these days, but hopefully you will have a smile on your face finally!
Old 08 March 2015, 07:54 PM
kenc
Scooby Regular

Rads cracking, rocker cover gaskets going are all fairly common, most in their time driving Subarus will have to replace one or both at some point, all the things you have mentioned above are really just little pain in the **** bits, nothing serious and age/ mileage related...
Get them sorted out and enjoy the car.
Old 09 March 2015, 09:16 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome to Subaru ownership.

TBH all of your problems are pretty standard, no car likes not being driven and it's hardly a surprise when 13yr old rubber perishes. I have recently replaced my rad for an alloy Japspeed one and fitted a Samco 4 piece rad hose kit too, wheel bearings are also pretty common.

To be fair these are pretty reliable cars when sorted and well maintained not too tricky to work on either especially for the simple stuff like oil changes, brake pads, fitting rad and hoses took me a couple of hours taking my time, could easily do it in 1 hour but I had problems with a seized hose clip and had to rob one from another vehicle.

Neil has a good rep so hopefully he'll get it tip top for you, just take it easy for a while when you get it back and get to know the car a little before you go tear arseing in it.
Old 09 March 2015, 10:54 AM
Athame1
Scooby Regular

Will report back
Thanks, think I'll be getting him to do a cam belt for me towards the end of the year.

Hope your car is as it should be now.

P.s are you dubious of cost or bhp ?

Last edited by Athame1; 09 March 2015 at 11:07 AM. Reason: ?

Quick Reply: Bits to do at Slowboy