Which way to go - Valve stem oil seals

Search this Thread

Old 07 February 2015, 05:27 PM
Khandaris
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which way to go - Valve stem oil seals

Car - Classic STI (V5)

So I have just discovered that my valve stem oil seals have gone. Those annoying little things that cost about £3 each. But have to drop the engine out to replace them!! (Symptoms are plumes of smoke when engine breaking, but not under acceleration or any other time)

I am thinking. While the engine is out, I may as well replace the head gaskets as this will not be too much more expense.

Is it worth going down the route of replacing piston rings while its out, or will this require a rebore to match / fit?

Sorry if some of the questions sound like they are from a novice. Its because they are!!

I am also enquiring if any engine builders / traders might be able to carry out the work for me within the next 4ish weeks with a quick turn around? - You can PM me if you can (I am based in hampshire)
Old 07 February 2015, 05:39 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

The head gaskets would be replaced as a matter of course as they have to remove the heads to do the valve stem seals and the head gasket isn't really a reusable part.

As for redoing the rings, you won't really know untill the engine is out. Mind you it is a good time to get that sort of work done as you'll have the engine out anyways.
Old 07 February 2015, 05:42 PM
Khandaris
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by neil-h
The head gaskets would be replaced as a matter of course as they have to remove the heads to do the valve stem seals and the head gasket isn't really a reusable part.

As for redoing the rings, you won't really know untill the engine is out. Mind you it is a good time to get that sort of work done as you'll have the engine out anyways.
This is what I was thinking. Was not looking to overhaul and replace all the internals. Just the bits that are subject to usual wear and tear. But need some guidance!