Sponsored by:

Sold an Engine,,now buyers claiming its knocking

Search this Thread

Old 05 February 2015, 05:07 PM
Porka-matt
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sold an Engine,,now buyers claiming its knocking

Sold an engine to a chap the other day,,i had it on ebay,,theres even a video link in the advert to a clip of it running fine with no knocking whatsoever,,this chap rang up and agreed a price,,i even offered for him to come and see/hear it running as it was still in the car and hang about while i took it out but no he said he would be a few hours and could i take it out for him before he got there so no problem,,,now im getting the story that the mechanics fitted it and its knocking and smoking blue,,,,anyone have a theory about this ? it was 110% not knocking when it left me,,i wouldnt want that to happen to me so certainley wouldnt do it to anyone else,,ive sold several subaru engines all with no problem,,,now im getting the usual im coming round for you and all this,,,,i cant quite put my finger on what hes upto,,is he trying to get me to take his old knackered engine back claiming its mine or i did ask if the mechanic had changed the oil and filter,,if he hasnt done that correctly would it starve the bearings and start knocking straight away ?
Old 05 February 2015, 05:16 PM
legacy_gtb
Scooby Regular

The car it went in had a problem, fuelled badly and blew an engine ..... just changing the engine without finding the route cause of the original engine blowing up would mean the new engine fitted wouldn't last long.

Just a thought.
Old 05 February 2015, 05:47 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Do you know the serial number of the engine you sold?
Old 05 February 2015, 06:04 PM
Ash
Scooby Regular

cash payment or done through ebay ect? could be a scam
Old 05 February 2015, 06:08 PM
Porka-matt
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Henrik
Do you know the serial number of the engine you sold?
No afraid not, got the engine number on the log book but im sure previous owner said it had an engine change at some point anyway
Old 05 February 2015, 06:10 PM
Porka-matt
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by flashash
cash payment or done through ebay ect? could be a scam
No was a cash sale,didnt even ask for a receipt
Old 05 February 2015, 06:21 PM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Porka-matt
No was a cash sale,didnt even ask for a receipt
If its a cash sale, nothing eBay will do about it, he can leave you negative feedback, and he can attempt a civil suit if he wanted.

Thank god you did a cash sale, otherwise he would of gotten a refund and you got back a knackered engine, thanks to the lovely money back guarantee!

eBay MAY suspend your account if he manages to tick all the right boxes and get a good customer service person, so i would advise you not to discuss it through ebay messages as this will give him evidence that they will ask for.

He will probably try the threats route...this is the crap country we live in now. I guess thats only up to decide if you can handle him or not...Sorry you are in this position. Happening a lot these days.

Last edited by Trinity; 05 February 2015 at 06:22 PM.
Old 05 February 2015, 06:30 PM
328isport
Scooby Regular

yea possible it could be he's trying to blag it and get a free engine by saying your one was broken and then thinking he'd return you his old engine!! Also possible they may not have dry cranked the engine after the oil change and broke it themselves, certainly not unheard of for bottom ends to go straight away after an oil change.

Either way, its a used engine and you gave the guy the option of hearing it running prior to purchase, can't ask for much more than that I don't think.
Old 05 February 2015, 06:31 PM
scooby kid
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

It's so bad but these things do
Happen, I had opposite once bought what I thought threw eBay many years ago a 106gti race spec engine for sprint car , engine never even excisted, was a link of a link of a link, got money bk,
2thoughts in my mind, either that's still the oem
Engine he's saying,
Or like previous post, didn't fun out fault threw yours in same night 95ron 1.5bar and pop,
No way if your saying was dead straight, then he put it in and instant started knocking and smoke

Good luck with out come but legally no recipet no prove of purchase no one can say much
Old 05 February 2015, 06:33 PM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ask yourself...How big are you and your friends, and how big is he and his friends? Can you deal with the stress and the hassle? or prefer to just let him get one over on you and take the easy life? Tough call if he knows your address and you have family etc...
Old 05 February 2015, 06:34 PM
Dirk Diggler 75
Scooby Regular

Tell the bloke to jog on unless he is a massive meat head then only a full refund will do ...
Old 05 February 2015, 06:38 PM
Porka-matt
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Trinity
If its a cash sale, nothing eBay will do about it, he can leave you negative feedback, and he can attempt a civil suit if he wanted.

Thank god you did a cash sale, otherwise he would of gotten a refund and you got back a knackered engine, thanks to the lovely money back guarantee!

eBay MAY suspend your account if he manages to tick all the right boxes and get a good customer service person, so i would advise you not to discuss it through ebay messages as this will give him evidence that they will ask for.

He will probably try the threats route...this is the crap country we live in now. I guess thats only up to decide if you can handle him or not...Sorry you are in this position. Happening a lot these days.
Sorry my bad i probably didnt word the ebay bit that great,,he didnt actually buy it through ebay ,,agreed a price came for it and i pulled it off ebay,,,,i just wanted a few peoples opinions of what was possible re on removal its fine and then when fitted its knocking if it really is,,,im more than satisfied in my own mind that i sold a good engine and gave every possible opportunity for him to see/hear it was a good one,,, if it is genuinley knocking then i do feel sorry for the chap but fail to see how its my fault,,,,if he does turn up il just ring the old bill cause as it stands i dont even know his name or where hes from so would be handy for them to have that information
Old 05 February 2015, 06:47 PM
Porka-matt
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Trinity
Ask yourself...How big are you and your friends, and how big is he and his friends? Can you deal with the stress and the hassle? or prefer to just let him get one over on you and take the easy life? Tough call if he knows your address and you have family etc...
Only 5ft and a rizla but i do run/live at a guesthouse that deals with council people so have cameras anywhere and also play a lot of baseball
Old 05 February 2015, 06:56 PM
Raptorman
Scooby Regular

If he turns up knock his **** in and tell him
to jog on.

Or something to that effect will be said by someone
here at some stage.
Old 05 February 2015, 07:01 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Only 5ft and a rizla but i do run/live at a guesthouse that deals with council people so have cameras anywhere and also play a lot of baseball
What's the time scale here, and is he a rizla or you? not that it matters much, small axe can still take down a big tree.

As above though if he's got a muppet to fit it then it's very possible that they caused the problem. Also if they didn't diagnose the original problem got it running and revved the knackers off it, like most idiots do then no surprise really.

**** situation to be in, but if it were me I'd tell him to jog on pal, if you know the engine was tip top then it's his problem.
Old 05 February 2015, 07:41 PM
scubbay
Scooby Regular

Was the engine from a running driving car or a damaged car that you got running before sale? Quite often an engine from a car that has had a front end knock can fail quite quickly.
Old 05 February 2015, 08:13 PM
EOEUMC
Scooby Regular

Ask him questions like:

Who fitted it?
What did they do once it was fitted?
Was the original problem diagnosed before inserting second hand engine?

Things like that but don't tell him what you know and what others have said on here. Wait and see if he slips up and then you got him. Give him all the facts about what they should of done and what was done wrong etc
Old 05 February 2015, 08:20 PM
Raptorman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EOEUMC
Ask him questions like:

Who fitted it?
What did they do once it was fitted?
Was the original problem diagnosed before inserting second hand engine?

Things like that but don't tell him what you know and what others have said on here. Wait and see if he slips up and then you got him. Give him all the facts about what they should of done and what was done wrong etc
And hope he isn't a member here and has already
read this thread.
Old 05 February 2015, 08:33 PM
Porka-matt
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by scubbay
Was the engine from a running driving car or a damaged car that you got running before sale? Quite often an engine from a car that has had a front end knock can fail quite quickly.
No was a running car with no accident damage..gearbox had gone
Old 05 February 2015, 08:40 PM
Porka-matt
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
What's the time scale here, and is he a rizla or you? not that it matters much, small axe can still take down a big tree.

As above though if he's got a muppet to fit it then it's very possible that they caused the problem. Also if they didn't diagnose the original problem got it running and revved the knackers off it, like most idiots do then no surprise really.

**** situation to be in, but if it were me I'd tell him to jog on pal, if you know the engine was tip top then it's his problem.
Timescale wise he bought it last week...I can't quite remember what he said about his old engine now..either he'd just bought the car and the big end went or he'd already replaced the engine and the bigend went ...and that's what's annoying me it was running fine with no knocking..I even said to him I'm hardly going to post a video clip of it running not to mention give him the opportunity of hearing it running still in the car if the big ends knocking am I but seems to be falling on deaf ears
Old 05 February 2015, 08:44 PM
Raptorman
Scooby Regular

Matt, are you a dealer/breaker?

Was the engine from your own car or from one you bought?

Last edited by Raptorman; 05 February 2015 at 08:57 PM.
Old 05 February 2015, 10:10 PM
Raptorman
Scooby Regular

It's all gone quiet???
Old 05 February 2015, 10:34 PM
Porka-matt
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Raptorman

Depends how you look at it..I break the odd few to keep mine going ..yes I make a few quid at it while I'm on with it but I can fit 2 cars in my garage and that's it so hardly a multi million pound outfit ..got nothing to hide as I'm sure anyone that's ever bought something off me will tell anyone
Old 05 February 2015, 10:38 PM
Porka-matt
Scooby Newbie

And yes it was one I bought..which had a PPP package so if anyone's in the market for a prodrive ecu feel free to make me an offer ...v3,v4 :-)
Old 05 February 2015, 10:40 PM
Raptorman
Scooby Regular

Depends how you look at it..I break the odd few to keep mine going ..yes I make a few quid at it while I'm on with it but I can fit 2 cars in my garage and that's it so hardly a multi million pound outfit ..got nothing to hide as I'm sure anyone that's ever bought something off me will tell anyone
I'm merely trying to see it from both sides really. I am no expert by any means
but I would imagine if you are buying broken cars then stripping parts to sell on at a profit then the law says you are a trader and as such you are in a different ball game regarding the 'allegedly' broken engine.

Like I say, just trying to see it from both sides.

Lol, and now you are trying to trade here aswell. Tell me matt are you a paid up trader on scoobynet?

Last edited by Raptorman; 05 February 2015 at 10:43 PM.
Old 05 February 2015, 10:41 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if it was genuinely ok when you sold it politely tell him to do one.
ebay/facebook is full of scammers and i wouldn't trust anyone on it.
his own stupid fault for not hearing it running when offered the chance.
Old 05 February 2015, 10:47 PM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

His engine has blown because of some sort of high boost/**** fuel or lead foot action. If they haven't rectified the initial problem then he'll blow every engine he fits in the future. If it is, like you say, working fine then it's his problem. Cash sale and all that. I very much doubt he'd refund you if the shoe was on the other foot.
Old 05 February 2015, 10:49 PM
Raptorman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by piehole1983
His engine has blown because of some sort of high boost/**** fuel or lead foot action. If they haven't rectified the initial problem then he'll blow every engine he fits in the future. If it is, like you say, working fine then it's his problem. Cash sale and all that. I very much doubt he'd refund you if the shoe was on the other foot.
And how would you know that is what happened to the buyers engine?
Old 05 February 2015, 11:13 PM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

And how would you know that is what happened to the buyers engine?
I don't. Speculating. Are you the buyer? Would you give the buyer his money back if you had sold him a good engine in your opinion?
Old 05 February 2015, 11:23 PM
Porka-matt
Scooby Newbie

I'm merely trying to see it from both sides really. I am no expert by any means
but I would imagine if you are buying broken cars then stripping parts to sell on at a profit then the law says you are a trader and as such you are in a different ball game regarding the 'allegedly' broken engine.

Like I say, just trying to see it from both sides.

Lol, and now you are trying to trade here aswell. Tell me matt are you a paid up trader on scoobynet?
No problem with that..there's always 2 sides to a story..I'm just struggling to see where I've gone wrong or even sympathise with the buyer...and yes I did once pay to sell a couple of bits on scoobynet and they have helped themselves to the same amount out of my PayPal account every month since !!! Lol..as for any profit I spend far more on my car than any profit I've made as I'm sure many Subaru owners know to well with their own

Quick Reply: Sold an Engine,,now buyers claiming its knocking