Sponsored by:

Engine rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 04 February 2015, 10:47 PM
chesh
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine rebuild

Best place or member who could rebuild my ej20 closed deck engine been told it sounds like its got piston slap, Was forged in 2012
Old 05 February 2015, 12:21 AM
328isport
Scooby Regular

Have you had the car long? I've heard forged pistons can be a little noisy but not sure if theres much truth in that, I can tell you that piston slap was quite common in some impreza engines, my 97 UK car had a bit from cold, but had no doubt been doing it for years and still performed very well! In short unless it's bad I don't think a bit of piston slap always necessitates a rebuild
Old 05 February 2015, 12:25 AM
WRX 2312
Scooby Regular

Piston slap doesnt necessarily mean that the engine has gone to ****... colleague at work had an 05 WRX that developed piston slap for the duration of his ownership, had it remapped to 285bhp and sold it 2 years later running no different to when he bought it.

He was worried it was the bottom end to begin with so took it to Clive Atthowe who diagnosed piston slap and said not to worry.

I'm no mechanic so I'm not saying I'm correct but he did OK for 2 years
Old 05 February 2015, 06:11 AM
chesh
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the information guys was just bit worried
Old 05 February 2015, 06:56 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

If it goes when warm, it's piston slap and perfectly normal on impreza engines.
Old 05 February 2015, 07:32 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As above if it's forged it's quite common, may also use a little oil so keep an eye on the oil level too, as in check it EVERY WEEK, needs to be warm and on flat ground, I usually do it at the petrol station after I've filled and paid to give it chance to settle a bit, also pop the hood and lift the stick out before you fill as that will help it drain down faster, make sure the oil can symbol on the dip stick is facing the right way when you check it too.
Old 05 February 2015, 10:09 AM
Dave Y
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 133 Likes on 97 Posts

Wms racing is based in Holywell get him to have a listen.
Old 05 February 2015, 10:19 AM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

I wouldn't listen to someone who calls a bonnet a hood

You really need to leave it longer than that before checking oil levels, I normally leave for 5-10mins after driving, then I check under the bonnet

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
As above if it's forged it's quite common, may also use a little oil so keep an eye on the oil level too, as in check it EVERY WEEK, needs to be warm and on flat ground, I usually do it at the petrol station after I've filled and paid to give it chance to settle a bit, also pop the hood and lift the stick out before you fill as that will help it drain down faster, make sure the oil can symbol on the dip stick is facing the right way when you check it too.
Old 05 February 2015, 10:56 AM
Dave Y
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 133 Likes on 97 Posts

Pull the dipstick out wipe it then leave it out for 5/10 mins then check the level
Old 05 February 2015, 11:28 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

After the time it takes to fill up and pay you should be able to get a decent reading, as long as it's close to the full mark no need to wait 10 mins for every last drop of oil to drain to the sump, Only time to start worrying is if it's right at the bottom of the dipstick as then you'll be a bit more than half a litre short, circa 750ml

Engine holds 4.5l so not too drastic as long as you have something showing on the stick. It says theres 1lt between min and max in the hand book but I've never been able to get 1lt in any of my Subarus in 11yrs of ownership, and it was only my forged engine in the Type R that consumed a noticeable amount, My Blob with 113k uses about 250ml which nothing between 5k changes.

Last edited by ditchmyster; 05 February 2015 at 11:29 AM.
Old 05 February 2015, 02:31 PM
wms-racing
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Dave Y
Wms racing is based in Holywell get him to have a listen.
I certainly am, give me a call and pop up, happy to have a listen, I'll even make you a brew :-)
I'm just of junction 32a of the ***- Pentre Halkyn
Old 05 February 2015, 02:54 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

I've over filled in the past because of doing the exact thing off not waiting long enough for oil to settle. Filling up with Petrol will take 2 mins, that's not long enough.
Old 05 February 2015, 03:02 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Sounds like your an overzealous oiler. it's not as critical as some would have you believe and the dip stick is a bit crap tbh, not the most accurate out there, hence all the faffing that some do to get a decent reading, I do however usually check it twice, just in case there's any residue in the tube.

Oh and it wants to be nice and golden, if it's not change it a couple of times with a 1000 miles and then it should stay that way if you do it regularly. Like mine does.

Last edited by ditchmyster; 05 February 2015 at 03:05 PM.
Old 05 February 2015, 03:19 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Nope just learnt from my mistakes in the past

Its better to slightly under fill than over fill, then you have to try to get oil out, never easy. Although I will agree, keeping the oil clean is the key to healthy engine, I change mine roughly every 2k-4k as soon as oil starts going dark, not massively expensive and cheaper than a rebuild
Old 05 February 2015, 03:36 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jaygsi
Nope just learnt from my mistakes in the past

Its better to slightly under fill than over fill, then you have to try to get oil out, never easy. Although I will agree, keeping the oil clean is the key to healthy engine, I change mine roughly every 2k-4k as soon as oil starts going dark, not massively expensive and cheaper than a rebuild
Yes, absolutely.

And that's what I do too.

See we do agree after all.
Old 07 February 2015, 07:32 AM
gazzawrx
Scooby Regular

Best time to check the oil level is first thing in the morning before you start the car, assuming youre parked on level ground.
Old 07 February 2015, 07:48 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gazzawrx
Best time to check the oil level is first thing in the morning before you start the car, assuming youre parked on level ground.
I live on a hill and my drive slopes for water run off, so that's pretty much impossible, the reason I use the Petrol station is you'll struggle to find a much flatter place than right beside a petrol pump.

Other thing is you don't really want it to be bang on the full mark with a cold engine.
Old 07 February 2015, 08:22 AM
gazzawrx
Scooby Regular

I live on a hill and my drive slopes for water run off, so that's pretty much impossible, the reason I use the Petrol station is you'll struggle to find a much flatter place than right beside a petrol pump.

Other thing is you don't really want it to be bang on the full mark with a cold engine.
Lol ok in your case the petrol station is fine

I disagree on the oil level point though, the mark is there to show maximum oil level, now when you change the oil in a car it goes in cold as it does the first time the engine is fillled from new. The max mark is exactly that maximum amount of oil once filled. The manufacturers would of factored in for the oil to thin out or expand once hot.
Old 07 February 2015, 08:28 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gazzawrx
Lol ok in your case the petrol station is fine

I disagree on the oil level point though, the mark is there to show maximum oil level, now when you change the oil in a car it goes in cold as it does the first time the engine is fillled from new. The max mark is exactly that maximum amount of oil once filled. The manufacturers would of factored in for the oil to thin out or expand once hot.
Well it says 4.5L in the hand book but if you put 4.5L in, including pre filling the filter, you'll notice it doesn't hit the max mark when cold.

IMO, doing it cold is a bit of a recipe for over filling, especially for the inexperienced

Last edited by ditchmyster; 07 February 2015 at 08:30 AM.
Old 07 February 2015, 11:04 AM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Oh pants

I know people who have over filled by a cm and there car seems to have been fine, I wouldn't do it to by own car though.

Yes, absolutely.

And that's what I do too.

See we do agree after all.
Old 07 February 2015, 01:51 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jaygsi
Oh pants

I know people who have over filled by a cm and there car seems to have been fine, I wouldn't do it to by own car though.
Yep like you say, I'd sooner under fill than over fill, although I doubt that 100ml here or there would really make much difference to how the car ran or it's life.
Old 07 February 2015, 02:39 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Nope, my misses has ran her impreza with slightly over filled, never caused any problems.

I over filled on oil at petrol station once many years ago, hence learn't my lesson, wrecked seals, lucky car was a banger anyway, but the stick showed car was low on oil, didn't leave it long enough.

Yep like you say, I'd sooner under fill than over fill, although I doubt that 100ml here or there would really make much difference to how the car ran or it's life.