Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Electric power steering Failure ....... Help !!

Search this Thread

Old 02 February 2015, 08:21 PM
legacy_ie
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric power steering Failure ....... Help !!

Hey guys,

Ive perhaps a word of warning and a cry for help.

I have a 2009 Subaru Impreza diesel with 101000 Km (62000 miles) which was my pride and joy. When I bought her I ignored the claims of weak engines that resulted in crankshaft snapping and took the plunge and borrowed the money for the car.

I have been driving the car hassle free not much more than 18 months when last week 22/01/2014 my power steering light came on and I had no power steering what so ever. For those unfamiliar the car uses a completely electric power steering system.

I brought my car to a local mechanic (non subaru) where on checking the rack found it was full of water ! I am going to state that I live in Ireland where we get alot of rain however I have never driven in any water deep enough to damage the car.

On collecting the car today 2.2.15 the steering worked twice but is now back to not working.

I have contacted Subaru where I was quoted €3000 inc vat to for the replacement rack as the rack and motor are 1 unit. This is a bit of a bargain because the forrester rack is €3000 without vat and is more prone to failing from what they told me !!

My options now are ....

Try to have the rack repaired

While VW and Opel use an electric system in there cars, it is easily repaired but within Ireland and the UK I have yet to find anyone who can repair a subaru rack.

Find a second hand rack

Thus far I have been unable to locate a breakers yard that has a second hand rack in Ireland or the UK so I have had to extend my search to Australia

Fork out the €3000 + fitting

I have to say that this is not my first Subaru but it most definatly my last !

I have to ask..... does anyone know of a company that repairs subaru steering racks or where I can get a second hand one ?

To add insult to injury...

Last friday (30/01/2014) subaru posted up on facebook a picture of a new forrester and the caption of "enjoy the weekend" I replied with a comment that I couldnt and a short note as to why...... It was deleted !!
Old 02 February 2015, 10:28 PM
Zuber
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear this, I hate electric powered steering systems! Do not fear, I would have a good phone around all the big breakers in the UK someone will have what your looking for, you will just have to put the time in. Get your local mechanic to fit it for you, good luck!
Old 03 February 2015, 08:24 PM
legacy_ie
Scooby Newbie

Hi Zuber.... the ringing around I have been doing all week
Old 21 February 2015, 06:31 PM
legacy_ie
Scooby Newbie

Right..... that update.

After waiting almost 3 weeks (and not able to drive the car) I finally got my car into a Subaru main dealer for diagnostic check here in Cork.

I have to say the service and attitude was appalling and it is somewhere that I will never go again.

On handing in my car I was offered a replacement loaner. I was walked to a Citroen C5 that was filthy both inside and out. Banana skins, cigarette boxes, clothes, firelogs thrown around the car so I declined as I had someone who was collecting me so I could go back to work. I was told that if i waited a few minutes I would be given an impreza so I cancelled my lift. After my wait I was again given the C5 that had the interior cleaned out. Now Stuck without a lift I had to take the car to get back to work but instead I found:

1. The car stank
2. The fuel light was on so I had to put petrol in it.
3. The car ran to badly I thought it was a diesel until I asked at subaru.
6. The tires was under inflated so I had to put air in them.
7. The rev counter didnt work, nor did the passenger side electric window.
8. I got 9km down the road and the engine management light started flashing along with a buzzer. and when I rang subaru I had to bring the car back !

On returning I waited for the mechanic to check my car where I saw him reverse my car, get out and then put on a seat cover...... :wtf:

The car was diagnosed with a faulty electric motor (cant remember the fault code off the top of my head) and the repair is in excess of €3000, when I questioned this I was fobbed off.

When I mentioned about the car I was looked at as if I had 2 heads although I did get the money back that I put in the C5 for fuel.

I have sourced a second hand rack which wasnt easy and am going to have that fitted if the motor cannot be repaired with a local garage.