ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Type r twinscoll 400hp or gt35 for 500+

Search this Thread

Old 01 February 2015, 10:32 AM
adam405sti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Type r twinscoll 400hp or gt35 for 500+

Hello. I have been thinking recently to build a type r v5/6 for myself as a weekend car. I am crossed between building up a type r with the full jdm twinscroll running gear. i.e engine, gearbox, interior, etc and run 450 bhp on either an LM turbo or the like or going all out 2.35, gt turbo the lot. Any positive/negative thoughts from members with a similar set up would be greatly appreciated. It will be a road going car for a bit of weekend fun. On the same hand i do not want to build something that is not drive-able or fun and at the end of it all think why on earth have i built that for!!! Thanks
Old 01 February 2015, 11:43 AM
scoobyabs
Scooby Regular

PM Sent
Old 01 February 2015, 12:24 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Something responsive rather then all out power, and start with something like a lightweight Type R/RA shell with a built 2.33 engine, twin scroll set up running a billet SC42 turbo and a blob/hawk JDM STi 6 speed gearbox.

Cant see many quicker point to point cars then a 420bhp classic Type R/RA that can spool up quick, I would also be tempted to try and keep it looking standard in the engine bay and maybe fit the JDM STi TMIC.
Old 01 February 2015, 02:14 PM
huzzy1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

400+ in a classic is great fun. But what I would say is don't plough so much into it that you are scared to drive it. Ultimately, it's why I sold my last car.
Old 01 February 2015, 02:48 PM
adam405sti
Scooby Regular

Nice speaking to you Abs

Yes scoobyboy. I think it's the way forward... twinscroll running gear in a type r v-limited. I'll see how the power delivery is on standard turbo and if it needs a slightly bigger LM or SC turbo than be it. Thanks.

Originally Posted by huzzy1
400+ in a classic is great fun. But what I would say is don't plough so much into it that you are scared to drive it. Ultimately, it's why I sold my last car.
Yes that was my other fear, ploughing so much into and thinking at the end of it all "is this what i really wanted" in a type r

Thanks for advise. Much appreciated.
Old 01 February 2015, 04:15 PM
gussy
Scooby Regular

Location: oop north in a spec-c.Now sold and starting on a classic ra track/sprint/road car
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Adam I will let you know what its like as mine is being is mapped on the 18th basically everything that you have described is in mine

Last edited by gussy; 01 February 2015 at 04:17 PM.
Old 01 February 2015, 05:31 PM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

A twinscroll Type R would simply be amazing. I miss my Type R. Best of the Classics by far.
Old 01 February 2015, 05:35 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trinity
A twinscroll Type R would simply be amazing. I miss my Type R. Best of the Classics by far.
Twinscroll classic would be insane!!
Old 02 February 2015, 10:55 AM
Markfey
Scooby Regular

Does anyone not think its total overkill for a road car?

Personally I'd say a forged 2.5 with a t36 or sc42.

All the low down torque requirements from the 2.5 with a lovely quick spooling turbo, saving thousands and more than enough power yet still nice a drive able in traffic.
Old 02 February 2015, 06:04 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markfey
Does anyone not think its total overkill for a road car?

Personally I'd say a forged 2.5 with a t36 or sc42.

All the low down torque requirements from the 2.5 with a lovely quick spooling turbo, saving thousands and more than enough power yet still nice a drive able in traffic.
Trouble is with the 2.5 it doesn't rev like a 2.0, but the 2.3 is the best of both worlds, you have the torque like a 2.5 but it revs like a 2.0, add a billet twin scroll turbo SC42 to the mix and you will have a very responsive car that drives nice but has power on tap when you need it.

Also with that power you could probably get away with running a uprated organic clutch!!
Old 02 February 2015, 06:43 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Twin scroll isn't all its hyped up to be, I pulled my hybrid twin scroll off and went rotated and I have had a gt35r thru a few engines and power bands. I had the car running 480bhp and the gt35r was excellent on a .63 housing it now runs just shy of 700bhp and makes full boost 2.3bar at 3300rpm and I don't think hybrid twin scroll turbos running 400bhp are any quicker to spool than that
Old 02 February 2015, 07:04 PM
Mus
Scooby Regular

Steve is that on race fuel and 2.5 block? am I right In saying that if it spools that early it won't pull as hard as something that has a larger housing?
Old 02 February 2015, 07:16 PM
Rbon91
Scooby Regular

I'm just about to start my build on a type r have project thread just started on here..

My plan is V9 sti engine which can take 480bhp all day long if looked after properly. Going twinscroll on it 100% like I have done my blob.

Speak to Brian at cams his track car is 380bhp VF36 twinscroll turbo and keeps up with 550 bhp blobs no problem on the track it is all stripped out tho

Ryan
Old 02 February 2015, 07:33 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mus
Steve is that on race fuel and 2.5 block? am I right In saying that if it spools that early it won't pull as hard as something that has a larger housing?

Its on a 2.35ltr block and its on a 20% meth mix. The car pulls hard till the limiter and I'm on a .82 housing.

A bigger housing will have more lag but should pull a little harder once going
Old 02 February 2015, 07:35 PM
Mus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
Its on a 2.35ltr block and its on a 20% meth mix. The car pulls hard till the limiter and I'm on a .82 housing.

full boost at 3300 on a 2.35 is pretty good going, didn't even think that was possible based on that power level.
Old 02 February 2015, 07:51 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mus
full boost at 3300 on a 2.35 is pretty good going, didn't even think that was possible based on that power level.

Laterals car will be about 900bhp and that spools earlier than mine on a far bigger turbo
Old 02 February 2015, 08:24 PM
b3nmw
Scooby Regular

Sounds like it will a monster either route u go. Love the old type r's, miss mine.
Old 02 February 2015, 08:54 PM
veerinder9
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt

That is epic!! Wow. I just about made full boost at 3300 on a 2.0 16g! Lol
Old 02 February 2015, 09:47 PM
Rbon91
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by veerinder9
That is epic!! Wow. I just about made full boost at 3300 on a 2.0 16g! Lol

My new turbo for blob made by owens and chevron should make full boost at 3000rpm that's on a fully forged 2.0 twinscroll turbo running about 480bhp and 560flbs

ryan
Old 03 February 2015, 02:23 AM
adam405sti
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your inputs.

Thankfully i'm not chasing figures, i have driven quick cars over the years. Sounds like you know what you want from your car Steve and that's good. And yes Steve 2.35 combined with a gt35 with the right set up spools up epic.

I have always loved the power delivery of the twin scroll turbo and always like the type r's so thought i would mix the two without spending £30k to build a Subaru, it just goes into a different price bracket of car i'm afraid.

As it goes i've got my type r going into the body shop next week and a jdm twin scroll complete car on it's way too. So will see how things unfold.
Old 03 February 2015, 10:14 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

forged 2.5 with a sc46+, spool on it is epic if done right
Old 15 February 2015, 05:45 PM
KAS35RSTI
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Or buy a Evo..
Old 15 February 2015, 08:41 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KAS35RSTI
Or buy a Evo..
Dont think he wants to down grade!!
Old 15 February 2015, 08:57 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by huzzy1
This.

Cheapest way is pull everything off a JDM STI, remember they are good for 500bhp as proven by Shaun on here, have a read of his thread in the projects section. At circa 150kg lighter it will be ballistic in a Type R shell, I've only run 330bhp in mine and that's plenty on the road, although I did have a bit of a hankering for a little more power I never went for it because it would take away from the essence of what the car is by fitting a 6 speed.

I suggest you bat around in one with similar power and see what you think before you throw a bag of cash at one, mine is a V3 STI Type R with a VF34 and it takes a bit of practice to use ALL the power available ALL of the time and really throw it down a B road or a track like Cadwell.

Standard suspension, brakes and 16 wheels makes for a very interesting drive.

Last edited by ditchmyster; 15 February 2015 at 09:06 PM.
Old 15 February 2015, 09:53 PM
Rbon91
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
This.

Cheapest way is pull everything off a JDM STI, remember they are good for 500bhp as proven by Shaun on here, have a read of his thread in the projects section. At circa 150kg lighter it will be ballistic in a Type R shell, I've only run 330bhp in mine and that's plenty on the road, although I did have a bit of a hankering for a little more power I never went for it because it would take away from the essence of what the car is by fitting a 6 speed.

I suggest you bat around in one with similar power and see what you think before you throw a bag of cash at one, mine is a V3 STI Type R with a VF34 and it takes a bit of practice to use ALL the power available ALL of the time and really throw it down a B road or a track like Cadwell.

Standard suspension, brakes and 16 wheels makes for a very interesting drive.

This is what I'm torn between on my type r I've just started... V9 2.0 engine or got for a 2.5? Will be going twinscroll

Ryan
Old 16 February 2015, 08:28 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rbon91
This is what I'm torn between on my type r I've just started... V9 2.0 engine or got for a 2.5? Will be going twinscroll

Ryan
I'd say if you go 2.5 then your looking at gearbox and clutch as well 100% guaranteed you'll kill the standard box at ish 500bhp so theres another £2/3k if you can't DIY, then you want closed deck inserts so your talking about a £5k engine plus ancillaries.

If your going to do it properly that's a £10k bill easily and a bit more in reality by the time you've done turbo, injectors, fuel system, ecu and mapping and there's a grands worth of hoses fuel rails, lines, spacers, turbo blanket, heat wrap the list is pretty long and you want an oil cooler, decent fmic.

Anyone doing a proper built 2.5 that's going to be running 500bhp and actually use it will be doing very well to have only spent £15k where as JDM donor parts will be somewhere around half that number.

BUT:

I think some people get a little too caught up on numbers and power when 90% of them can't get the best out of what they already have, I used to see it with bikes all the time "All the gear and no idea" and it's the same with cars, quick in a straight line and can get to the corner first, then they're just in the way.

It took me 3yrs and around 15k miles a large portion of which was weekends, trackdays with tuition, sprints and ring trips and a couple of Rally driving days to be able to keep my Type R on the limit of grip and a little beyond whilst keeping it on the black stuff and that's with 330bhp, I didn't start out as a crap driver, always been faster than all my mates on bikes in cars and at carting except for the first time we went carting there was one mate that had one as a kid and I beat him the 2nd time we went.

My advice is keep it around 350bhp, spend your time and money learning to keep your right foot on the floor, when you can do that in every situation then your ready for more power.

I'll see if I can find the vid of the lad doing an 8.20 lap of the Ring in a 265bhp WRX, everyone called BS my mate with a 450+ EV0 bla bla bla can't do that, but this kid CAN drive he's not just relying on huge power to eat up the straight bits.

Looked for the vid but can't find it, Where's Carnut when I need him.

Last edited by ditchmyster; 16 February 2015 at 03:20 PM.
Old 16 February 2015, 03:22 PM
joe v3sti
Scooby Regular

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Tidgy
forged 2.5 with a sc46+, spool on it is epic if done right

Cant wait to get my built 2.5 RA with a billet 46 fully run in. I like the sound of this epic spool
Old 16 February 2015, 04:27 PM
Rbon91
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
I'd say if you go 2.5 then your looking at gearbox and clutch as well 100% guaranteed you'll kill the standard box at ish 500bhp so theres another £2/3k if you can't DIY, then you want closed deck inserts so your talking about a £5k engine plus ancillaries.

If your going to do it properly that's a £10k bill easily and a bit more in reality by the time you've done turbo, injectors, fuel system, ecu and mapping and there's a grands worth of hoses fuel rails, lines, spacers, turbo blanket, heat wrap the list is pretty long and you want an oil cooler, decent fmic.

Anyone doing a proper built 2.5 that's going to be running 500bhp and actually use it will be doing very well to have only spent £15k where as JDM donor parts will be somewhere around half that number.

BUT:

I think some people get a little too caught up on numbers and power when 90% of them can't get the best out of what they already have, I used to see it with bikes all the time "All the gear and no idea" and it's the same with cars, quick in a straight line and can get to the corner first, then they're just in the way.

It took me 3yrs and around 15k miles a large portion of which was weekends, trackdays with tuition, sprints and ring trips and a couple of Rally driving days to be able to keep my Type R on the limit of grip and a little beyond whilst keeping it on the black stuff and that's with 330bhp, I didn't start out as a crap driver, always been faster than all my mates on bikes in cars and at carting except for the first time we went carting there was one mate that had one as a kid and I beat him the 2nd time we went.

My advice is keep it around 350bhp, spend your time and money learning to keep your right foot on the floor, when you can do that in every situation then your ready for more power.

I'll see if I can find the vid of the lad doing an 8.20 lap of the Ring in a 265bhp WRX, everyone called BS my mate with a 450+ EV0 bla bla bla can't do that, but this kid CAN drive he's not just relying on huge power to eat up the straight bits.

Looked for the vid but can't find it, Where's Carnut when I need him.

Know what you mean mate yeah got my blob which I'm just finishing a fully forged build now was 450bhp before and yes it took me a while to learn to use power etc
Old 16 February 2015, 04:28 PM
CutMasterT
Scooby Regular

I've just had the sc42 twin scroll conversion done on my 2.0 V3 and it is a lot of fun. The spool is really good and it puts the power down really well. Going from a standard vf23 with a remap to the sc42 twin scroll and fmic, the difference is unreal. Not sure what its running as it was mapped on road but it's most certainly bang on the limit of a 752
Just need a 6 speed and Its complete and the power can be upped even more
Old 16 February 2015, 08:10 PM
Tomwrx
Scooby Regular

Guys.

I will have the twinscroll turbo,headers,sump downpipe etc from blob spec c coming up for sale in the next cpl wks if anyone interested

Quick Reply: Type r twinscoll 400hp or gt35 for 500+