Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Telegraph review on the new sti..opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 30 January 2015, 11:54 AM
MrBlobby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Telegraph review on the new sti..opinions?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/subaru/wrx-sti/

Do you think he has a point? Not sure if i'd agree if a new Golf R is the modern equivalent of an Sti. Apparently it only does 3 more mpg than the Impreza so it doesn't really win in the economy department.

Suppose has a point about Subaru not really moving forward with the development of their cars but this seems to be more apparent since the depature of WRC?
Old 30 January 2015, 12:02 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

The trouble is, people like Ford, Vauxhall and VW made their money on mass-market cars, then added a niche car here and there, some of which have had cult status.

Subaru started out in the UK with a niche car, built it up by having brilliant after-sales service, then wrecked it all by NOT continuing the development, withdrawing from rallying, this destroying the car's raison d'etre, and lastly, having some of the worst, greediest after sales anywhere.

I currently have the UK car I bought in 1998, brand new. It's heavily modded, but doesn't get driven as I stopped wanting to put fuel in it at £1.4 a litre.
When I bought it, it turned heads, and was the quickest thing in it's class. Far and away better than the so-called hot-hatches.

Would I have another now?

NO WAY!!!!!!!

There is not enough, if any, daylight between Subaru and the competition, I've seen the Americans get the same car at 25% off, the Japs get better cars for 30% off, and the UK treated like scum, with dear parts, stupidly poor after sales, and very high prices for what it is.

The mass-market now have cars as good, or more fun, for less or the same money, with better after-sales service, and far better built.

Thanks, but no thanks.
Old 30 January 2015, 12:10 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

ROFLOL - whilst there is an element of artistic license within that review, if you remove that element, it's pretty much nail hit squarely on head imo.
Old 30 January 2015, 12:29 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

Subaru pulling out off Rallying never really bothered me as never really been into it.

Back in the day 220bhp wasn't bad for a 4 door saloon, compared to cavalier gsi 150bhp, Mondeo st, ford focus st, golf gti. Most were barely 150bhp. Only ones to come close for money was the sierra and Esscort Cosworth

Now adays though Subaru's need to be faster, with cars like Astra Vxr running 260bhp and the new Astra I think is even more. Clio's running 197 bhp, it confuses me why Subaru don't just give us the same cars they produce in there own country, and then just make a few adjustments for the UK

To be fair your buying and Impreza for its road presents and handling. I think twin turbo is the way forward, small turbo for take off bigger turbo for top end.
Old 30 January 2015, 12:45 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Not sure TT is the "way forward" in all cases.

Subaru really did (and still do in Japan) make good use of twinscroll technology. Nowadays we have single twinscroll variable-vane turbos (not that this is new tech by any stretch) ala A45 AMG etc. If you get to drive this type of set-up, you get the best of both worlds..... peak torque from 2k (ish), flat decked all the way through till 5500rpm.

This is where Subaru are so far behind, coupled with their emission issues of their 2ltr units (used in the STI).
Old 30 January 2015, 12:59 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Didn't VW do a 1.4 twin turbo golf running 170bhp, Renault clio 197 is 2.0 non turbo. Both have reasonable mpg, I think the main thing is the AWD should be able to be switched to 2wd on all models for long runs help mpg and rear wheel fun for those who like it. There's loads of options, never driven twin scroll Impreza before so can't comment
Old 30 January 2015, 01:09 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I think the key bit here, is that there are multiple ways to skin a cat...... unless you're Subaru.
Old 30 January 2015, 02:15 PM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jaygsi;11616439[B
]Didn't VW do a 1.4 twin turbo golf running 170bhp[/B], Renault clio 197 is 2.0 non turbo. Both have reasonable mpg, I think the main thing is the AWD should be able to be switched to 2wd on all models for long runs help mpg and rear wheel fun for those who like it. There's loads of options, never driven twin scroll Impreza before so can't comment
No Jay, they didnt.

It was a 1,4 with a turbo and super charger and was rife with maitenence problems.

FWD cars are unsafe and should be banned. All cars should be AWD with xenons

All Subarus should be Twinscroll JDM cars - the car would have a much warmer reception from journalists if this was the case. Such a shame, but as mentioned, greed is a big factor.
Old 30 January 2015, 02:16 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I think the key bit here, is that there are multiple ways to skin a cat...... unless you're Subaru.
Exactly...they seem more interested in skinning UK buyers.....
Old 30 January 2015, 03:04 PM
Lunchmoney
Scooby Regular

I liked that review. Even taking it with a pinch of salt it seems to agree with many other reviews.

I particularly enjoyed the opening lines “Look at the car in the picture and what do you see? A rally-honed legend, or a family saloon with a hole in the bonnet and a stupid wing on the boot? Yeah, thought so.”

If I had £30k to spend on a new car (which I don’t) I would not be buying a new Impreza. Not sure what I’d get…. Probably hunt down a good quality 2006 JDM STI and keep the change
Old 30 January 2015, 03:10 PM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lunchmoney
I liked that review. Even taking it with a pinch of salt it seems to agree with many other reviews.

I particularly enjoyed the opening lines “Look at the car in the picture and what do you see? A rally-honed legend, or a family saloon with a hole in the bonnet and a stupid wing on the boot? Yeah, thought so.”

If I had £30k to spend on a new car (which I don’t) I would not be buying a new Impreza. Not sure what I’d get…. Probably hunt down a good quality 2006 JDM STI and keep the change
In all fairness, they have been saying that about Imprezas and Evos ever since the first ones

But £30k once you've added some better seats and probably sat nav...and with an engine that might melt, tough call.
Old 30 January 2015, 03:32 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Well I was pretty close.

So what are the main advantages to twin scroll, I know how they work, is it just power delivery?

Originally Posted by Trinity
No Jay, they didnt.

It was a 1,4 with a turbo and super charger and was rife with maitenence problems.

FWD cars are unsafe and should be banned. All cars should be AWD with xenons

All Subarus should be Twinscroll JDM cars - the car would have a much warmer reception from journalists if this was the case. Such a shame, but as mentioned, greed is a big factor.
Old 30 January 2015, 03:35 PM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jaygsi
Well I was pretty close.

So what are the main advantages to twin scroll, I know how they work, is it just power delivery?
If you know how they work, surely you can answer your own question?
Old 30 January 2015, 03:38 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Not really, forgotten what the benefits where, and if you haven't driven one then its difficult to say

Originally Posted by Trinity
If you know how they work, surely you can answer your own question?
Old 30 January 2015, 03:39 PM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Not really, forgotten what the benefits where, and if you haven't driven one then its difficult to say
Then, explain how they work, while doing so you realise what they do better!
Old 30 January 2015, 04:24 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

You might be able to get a base Golf R for similar money, but once you add all the options that come standard on the STi then you're closer to 40K!
Old 30 January 2015, 04:27 PM
Lunchmoney
Scooby Regular

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbocharger#Twin-scroll

(Did I mention I spend free time at work editing wiki pages? )
Old 30 January 2015, 04:42 PM
mslorach
Scooby Regular

Searching through the archives of Scoobynet I've found links (most long dead) to bad reviews of almost every new model impreza since the year 2000. And also including the legendary P1 and 22b. The thing is that Subarus have always been marmite cars, even to enthusiasts. The new one is getting slated at the moment but thats happened to every other model since the bugeye. Personally I think it's great, no it's performance is not miles ahead of the competition like it used to be but at almost 300 bhp it's still a nippy motor and I think it looks really good, with styling that looks like it is distantly related to the "classic" Impreza (if you half shut your eyes and look at it in the dark ) . I don't think it's getting a fair review anywhere, but thats turned into a bit of a tradition for Subarus.

Last edited by mslorach; 30 January 2015 at 06:23 PM.
Old 31 January 2015, 10:04 AM
Rob669
Scooby Regular

It's an article written by a man feeling boring and middle aged. Of course you can still have some fun driving and I'm pleased that companies like Subaru still make these cars. The fuel consumption is pretty rubbish, but it was about the same in the Clio 197 (which really has about 180+ ish BHP). But BMW seem to have improved mpg and performance. And arn't all dealers pretty rubbish, Renault are for Renaultsport models.
Old 31 January 2015, 10:33 AM
Steve001
Scooby Regular

You'd have thought that the modern STi would be running 350bhp minimum standard.

Edited to say f**k I prefer round numbers make it 400 standard

Last edited by Steve001; 31 January 2015 at 10:39 AM.
Old 31 January 2015, 10:49 AM
XDevil666
Scooby Regular

He says
In the Subaru’s defence, there are moments when it all comes together. When you forget all that is wrong with this vehicle and revel in the sheer hedonism of what it can do. Trouble is, in order to find them you have to drive like a complete berk.
Means the guy drives like a ****ing bitch and can only handle this day and age of ***** automated driving
Old 31 January 2015, 11:28 AM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve001
You'd have thought that the modern STi would be running 350bhp minimum standard.
Hit the nail right on the head there. The outgoing model had up to 340BHP, 296 isn't that much by comparison to the new crop of hot hatches.
Old 31 January 2015, 11:58 AM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

Having driven a ridiculous amount of cars, I find that I don't recognise most of them from the road tests published. He obviously started out with an attitude.
It's all very well having high power from something driven by the front wheels, but you can't use it where I come from! (Rural) and the Impreza still knocks spots off most cars when on real roads.
Old 31 January 2015, 10:22 PM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

Evo did cars with big bhp and class leading handling, where did it get them.

Why do they have to be better than the competition, whats wrong with just a alternative option. In fact they get compared to golfs and suchlike but are bigger cars. Maybe we should see them more as a cheap M3 with awd not sure, they seem to be in their own class really.
They do seem to out handle the competition though, they can match the lap times of smaller more power cars and on a tight track even beat them.
Not common as muck either.
Old 31 January 2015, 10:28 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shaun
ROFLOL - whilst there is an element of artistic license within that review, if you remove that element, it's pretty much nail hit squarely on head imo.
Yep, thank God someone has had the nerve to actually spell it out in plain words even those who still kneel at the altar of STI will understand... hopefully! It's sad, but very true!
Old 31 January 2015, 11:33 PM
Shaid
Scooby Regular

Subaru pulling out off Rallying never really bothered me as never really been into it.

Back in the day 220bhp wasn't bad for a 4 door saloon, compared to cavalier gsi 150bhp, Mondeo st, ford focus st, golf gti. Most were barely 150bhp. Only ones to come close for money was the sierra and Esscort Cosworth

Now adays though Subaru's need to be faster, with cars like Astra Vxr running 260bhp and the new Astra I think is even more. Clio's running 197 bhp, it confuses me why Subaru don't just give us the same cars they produce in there own country, and then just make a few adjustments for the UK

To be fair your buying and Impreza for its road presents and handling. I think twin turbo is the way forward, small turbo for take off bigger turbo for top end.
Disagree with the TT move forward idea.

Subaru tried it with the legacy and whilst it was brilliant when working right it was unreliable, blew engines, went through fuel at an alarming rate and had the dreaded valley of death which would ruin the whole driving experience.

They just about got it right with the Legacy BH/BE Revision D but it still had its flaws hence why for the later legacies Subaru went Twinscroll instead.
Old 31 January 2015, 11:36 PM
scoobyranger
Scooby Regular

I think part of the reason we've got this one option wrx sti is the poor reception of the last couple of imprezas.
Perhaps subaru are testing the market atm? Albeit at our expense.
Whilst I doubt it will happen, I hope they'll come to their senses and release a performance pack for it to up it around 320-340 which I think would be an acceptable level.
Old 01 February 2015, 12:34 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

The problem is its UK version of a Impreza STi ,amazes me that a Subaru Impreza STi in Japan starts off as quite a good base car(2 litre engine, twin scroll turbo etc) that most of us in the UK want. But then Subaru UK get there hands on it and fu6k it up, giving us a engine we dont want and the power that the Impreza PPP models where running 13 years ago.

TBH the new WRX is the USA/Japan is a better car then our UK STi, the WRX in the US has the 2 litre engine and twin scroll set up with a 6 speed manual gearbox, makes you laugh when there so called entry lever turbo impreza is better then our top of the range STi.
Old 01 February 2015, 12:38 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the impreza started to die with the 2.5 hawkeye, then the abortion that was the hatch finished it off totally.
Old 01 February 2015, 12:56 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fat-thomas
the impreza started to die with the 2.5 hawkeye, then the abortion that was the hatch finished it off totally.
Agree, I love the look of the hawk sti, but the 2.5 just does not give you confidence, I could drive any 2 litre Impreza and not have to worry about anything, but when I had my 2.5 hawk STi every little sound, or if the car warmed up to quick etc this would get you paranoid, and when you worrying all the time about your engine breaking it takes the fun away from owning the car.

Quick Reply: Telegraph review on the new sti..opinions?