Sponsored by:

Help/Advice with Hawk STi mods

Search this Thread

Old 29 January 2015, 05:20 PM
Melly
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help/Advice with Hawk STi mods

I picked up my Hawk STi a couple of weeks ago from a fellow Scoobynetter. I was looking to get the car remapped by Andy F to get rid of the hesitation when the car is cold and the somewhat juddery nature of the car when on light throttle at low revs. As ever, what started as a light ecu fettle has now changed into a bit more and I’m in need of info to help me get the car running its best at it new power level.

Bit of history first. The car had a forged engine rebuild due to excessive oil consumption. It was carried out by engine tuner and then mapped by them to 346/405 at 1.1-1.2bar peak. After 8 months the oil pick up pipe cracked so it was replaced and the engine checked with all looking ok. Sadly 5 months later the block cracked resulting in another forged build with a brand new EJ25 block.
The car is now running

Forged engine with
  • Brand new EJ25 block
  • Cosworth pistons
  • K1 Rods
  • Cosworth gaskets
  • ACL Bearings
  • Exedy clutch
  • Roger Clark Oil Pump
  • EGR delete
  • Air pump removed
  • Tumble valve flaps removed

• Exhaust - Full Milltek 3" System including sports cat
• Cosworth Air Filter

The car was never remapped after the second rebuild so is still running on the Engine Tuner map from the first rebuild. The car is also still running on the standard fuel pump at this point (only found this out the other day by contacting the original owner because I couldn’t find a receipt for it in the massive history file)

My plan was simple. I was going to buy a set of 18” wheels, stick some eagle F1’s on, lower it on some springs and get the map adjusted by Andy F. I then decided I was going to port out my headers and up pipe before I got it mapped and this is where it escalated a tad. Seeing as I was already doing the headers and up pipe I thought it would be rude not to change the turbo for something that would get me into the early 400’s. I done a bit of reading on here, naioc and other such forums and found some good reviews on Kinugawa turbos so had a looks on Saturday night and ended up buying one. So due to the imminent turbo arrival I’ve pieced together a list of parts I think I’m going to need to help me into the 400’s. It’s not concete as I’ve slowly been picking bit of info from other posts about things I just didn’t know I would need at this power level.
Planned parts so far:

TD06H-60-1-8 (rated at 450 apparently)
K&N Typhoon or RCM intake
Uprated fuel pump
Mapping

Through reading on the forums it seems my standard injectors may not be up to the task of getting me into the 420+ range so I had a search about for fueling parts I may need. I think, and please correct me if I’m wrong, that I will need:
650-850cc injectors
Fuel pressure regulator – 2 port or 3 port on standard fuel rail?
3 Port boost solenoid
Stronger Recirc valve
Decat downpipe to replace the milltek sportscat (when does the milltek sportscat start becoming a maor restriction?)

I don’t plan on ever going above 450 bhp and I am very reluctant to cut up my bumper so I will be staying TMIC at all times. Does this look like a complete list of parts to support my power goals?
Any and all constructive advice is appreciated.

Cheers,
Melly

Old 29 January 2015, 07:45 PM
mickeymouse
Scooby Regular

Ive got very similar mods to you and achieved 448bhp..

Although I went with a Perrin front mount and also Perrin intake/air filter..
Injectors are 750cc.. And a deatschwerks fuel pump..
Also went for roger Clarke Motorsport exhaust manifold (headers)

I haven't got a 3 port boost solenoid, or fuel pressure reg, or stronger recirc valve.

Good luck and keep us posted!!
Old 29 January 2015, 08:38 PM
Melly
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply MM. Are they deatschwerks injectors as well as the pump. Di you get them from the states. That's a fine power figure you've made from similar parts. Are you running a sports cat or full decat?

Cheers,
Melly
Old 29 January 2015, 09:11 PM
mickeymouse
Scooby Regular

It's running a sport cat. The injectors are asnu.

Should have said before but I'm running a T36 turbo.

All parts supplied and fitted by enginetuner.

Be careful though as you'll only end up wanting more power..! I really regret not getting my block closed with 14mm studs...!!