Sponsored by:

Prosport gauges

Search this Thread

Old 18 October 2014, 07:10 PM
Willowsdad
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Prosport gauges

I'm looking at gauges for the impreza. The defi gauges are probably overkill for what I need and a little expensive, so I've been looking at the prosport stuff. Love the look of the evo's, but due to the reviews on here ive pretty much decided on the stepper range. The cheapest I've found are these http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=281458514652
Which for some reason are quite a lot cheaper than their website. Are these the right ones to go for? Or am I missing something? Also I'm looking at the ati/defi pod for the newage, as it seems to be the best oem(ish) look and doesn't need sticking or fixing in place. Anything out there that matches it for quality and beats the price, or is it a case of get what you pay for? Thanks
Old 18 October 2014, 07:15 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

those are the cheaper version of these
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/52mm-Premi...item27b373e876
they dont have the peak setting or adjustable alarm.
ive bought a few from the seller in the link and although they are in hk i received them in 2 weeks with no extra charges,
ati/defi is by far the best
Old 18 October 2014, 07:31 PM
Willowsdad
Scooby Regular

Thanks tubbs. Are they the same as these? http://rspec.co.uk/b-gauges-b/steppe...oost-gauge-bar
I'd rather stick with a uk seller in case of any issues. You're the reason I'm not going for the evo's.
Old 18 October 2014, 07:34 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Originally Posted by Willowsdad
Thanks tubbs. Are they the same as these? http://rspec.co.uk/b-gauges-b/steppe...oost-gauge-bar
I'd rather stick with a uk seller in case of any issues. You're the reason I'm not going for the evo's.
yes just different branded stuff, the evos are sh1te ive had both.
the steppers are good for the price and ive never had any issues.
the senders on the steppers are far better as is the wiring also you can daisy chain the power from gauge to gauge with included cable on steppers.
Old 18 October 2014, 07:46 PM
Sarg400
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was looking at the evo range won't bother now then lol steppers do look good tho
Old 18 October 2014, 07:49 PM
Willowsdad
Scooby Regular

Nice one.

Anyone know anywhere cheaper than scoobyworld to get the pod at £144? Or is it worth getting their package with the gauges for £349?
Old 18 October 2014, 07:50 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Nice one.

Anyone know anywhere cheaper than scoobyworld to get the pod at £144? Or is it worth getting their package with the gauges for £349?
the gauges are much cheaper in the link i sent you, as i said ive bought 3 full sets of five from them and never had one issue.

the pods are around £120 from memory check ebay

Trending Topics

Old 18 October 2014, 07:56 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
They look cheap and nasty, IMO. There was a linked thread on here to NASIOC about Prosport gauges IIRC.

I've got Stack gauges in mine. If they were good enough for Prodrive, they're good enough for me.
Old 18 October 2014, 08:01 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Originally Posted by mickywrx
They look cheap and nasty, IMO. There was a linked thread on here to NASIOC about Prosport gauges IIRC.

I've got Stack gauges in mine. If they were good enough for Prodrive, they're good enough for me.
they match the oem clocks on newages
Old 18 October 2014, 08:14 PM
Willowsdad
Scooby Regular

The stack gauges look like they've come out of a spitfire. The seller on that link doesn't seem to sell an oil temp gauge. Is it worth sending them a message?
Old 19 October 2014, 05:39 AM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't rate them. They are ok but not that reliable. I have had a set of the touch stepper series for a year or two. Every now and again one of them will randomly flash peak and the buttons are then unresponsive. This is not a feature of the gauge. They all do it randomly. The only cure is to then turn the power off to them. So this means switching the engine off and on again. It's very annoying as at night if one starts flashing is completely distracts you so much so that I have to pull over and sort it. I fitted an on/off switch in the end so I can flick them off and on again without stopping the car. (This has been present from new and they are all wired properly).

Also after a year of so some of the blue illumination has packed up so when they are on blue lighting half the display is red merging into purple.

Not the first time I have heard of these issues. To be honest I wouldn't get them again. But I have been through so many cheap sets of gauges my only option now is defis and I cannot justify the price.

Last edited by FMJ; 19 October 2014 at 05:40 AM.
Old 19 October 2014, 08:01 AM
Willowsdad
Scooby Regular

^ That's the problem really. I'd love defi's, but I cant justify the money for something that's not going to see the track too often. Maybe if they do break I'll replace them with defi, but I'll worry about that when it happens.
Old 19 October 2014, 08:47 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Mine has never seen the track, but has five Defis, the fuel-pressure gauge has saved the engine once.
Old 19 October 2014, 08:47 AM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got the Evo pro sports. The only issue I've had is the oil temp sender went after 1000 miles.
Old 19 October 2014, 08:49 AM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Originally Posted by Kwik
I've got the Evo pro sports. The only issue I've had is the oil temp sender went after 1000 miles.
the evos are crap.
awful cheap mechanical sender and no wiring loom.
steppers have far better quality electronic senders and proper wiring loom included
Old 19 October 2014, 09:02 AM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

I think special cars need special bits.

I know there are lots of nice gauges out there but IMO the best thing for a WR1 would be a set of genomes, or a set of green Defis.
Old 19 October 2014, 09:07 AM
forgedmarco
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Get these
http://www.nengun.com/defi/rs-meter
Old 19 October 2014, 09:28 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by fat-thomas
the evos are crap.
awful cheap mechanical sender and no wiring loom.
steppers have far better quality electronic senders and proper wiring loom included
It's funny you say this Tommy as I've just gone from steppers to Evo because I'd gotten fed up with the stepper loom breaking or only working intermittently, but tbh I think there are pros and cons to both.
The quality of the loom on both Evos and the Steppers is ****e - they only seem to have used about 4 strands of wire on any of their plugs , but this is one of the reasons I liked the Evos - because for the majority of the harness you can choose your own cable to ensure you avoid the breaks etc.

The steppers I had were inconsistent in their colour, brightness and font on the gauge itself, no matter how much you played with them.
The oil temp gauge stopped illuminating in white and only lit up red, and the sender on the boost gauge worked for about 2 years and then just packed up due to the poor quality wiring connection on the harness that goes to the boost sender.

The Evos are at least fairly consistent in their font and look, but you do have to look twice at em where I suppose the steppers are quicker to read.
All in all, either are cheap and cheerful, but if I wanted something very very reliable for track use, not sure how much trust I'd place in either!
Old 19 October 2014, 09:37 AM
Willowsdad
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by forgedmarco
Nice but a set of those with the pod comes in at about £550, without the controller. Do you really need the controller?
Old 19 October 2014, 09:42 AM
Luckyscoob
Scooby Regular

I've had both stepper and evo's and both have been good. Just need to make sure they are wired in properly.
Old 19 October 2014, 10:19 AM
Willowsdad
Scooby Regular

Just seen that the only green defi's are the rs, and they're a 3 month lead time! Looks like I'll go with the prosport and just put defi in when they break. I can't even find a set of genomes, and no doubt they'll be dearer.
Old 19 October 2014, 11:57 AM
forgedmarco
Scooby Regular

Just seen that the only green defi's are the rs, and they're a 3 month lead time! Looks like I'll go with the prosport and just put defi in when they break. I can't even find a set of genomes, and no doubt they'll be dearer.
There is a set of genomes on here, 4 gauges and controller £450. A set exactly the same just went for £1000 from Australia
Old 19 October 2014, 12:10 PM
forgedmarco
Scooby Regular

Defi also do racer gauges now that don't need a controller.
Old 19 October 2014, 01:18 PM
Willowsdad
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by forgedmarco
There is a set of genomes on here, 4 gauges and controller £450. A set exactly the same just went for £1000 from Australia
Just sent him a pm. Thanks.
Old 19 October 2014, 02:45 PM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MrNoisy
It's funny you say this Tommy as I've just gone from steppers to Evo because I'd gotten fed up with the stepper loom breaking or only working intermittently, but tbh I think there are pros and cons to both. The quality of the loom on both Evos and the Steppers is ****e - they only seem to have used about 4 strands of wire on any of their plugs , but this is one of the reasons I liked the Evos - because for the majority of the harness you can choose your own cable to ensure you avoid the breaks etc. The steppers I had were inconsistent in their colour, brightness and font on the gauge itself, no matter how much you played with them. The oil temp gauge stopped illuminating in white and only lit up red, and the sender on the boost gauge worked for about 2 years and then just packed up due to the poor quality wiring connection on the harness that goes to the boost sender. The Evos are at least fairly consistent in their font and look, but you do have to look twice at em where I suppose the steppers are quicker to read. All in all, either are cheap and cheerful, but if I wanted something very very reliable for track use, not sure how much trust I'd place in either!
That's just it, they are cheap and cheerful and I didn't expect too much from them. I think the oil pressure sensor problem was me not securing it properly and it vibrating itself to death.
My only problem is I wired them green for day time and white for night, whereas green at night would match the clocks. I can't be arsed to change them over.

Expensive gauges wouldn't have detected my engine problems, so would have been a waste.