Sponsored by:

Sad day on the roads today

Search this Thread

Old 27 September 2014, 10:25 PM
Kempo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sad day on the roads today

We were travelling down the A1 in Hertfordshire this afternoon and the road became blocked due to a car fire in the outside lane. Initially we thought it would just be a short delay as police and fire were quickly on scene but more and more police cars arrived and they would not allow any vehicles through.

After around 90 minutes they did start to filter the traffic through one lane but it was obvious there had been a tragic outcome and someone had lost their life - the car was under cover and wedged against the concrete barrier. Brings it all home how events can suddenly transpire and our thoughts go out to the relatives of those involved.

Incredibly, on the way home from out outing (5 hours later) there was another vehicle on fire on the same stretch 3 miles away but thankfully all those were out and safe.

Go careful!
Old 27 September 2014, 10:29 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

Never nice to see, drove past accident years back saw ambulance crew giving CPR to a driver not nice
Old 27 September 2014, 10:42 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Fires are a horrible thing, I have had four in mine so far and putting them out gets a little easier each time also keeping a 2ltr extinguisher in the car always helps as anything less and you're watching your car go up in flames.
Old 27 September 2014, 11:17 PM
LuckyWelshchap
Scooby Regular

Thoughtful post, and thoughts go out to those who lost that loved one, and anyone else in similar tragic circumstances.
Old 27 September 2014, 11:39 PM
FuZzBoM
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Gives me a shiver down my spine when i see a car crash. reminds me of my bad one in 2003. Lucky to be alive even if my legs are full of metal.

on a 2nd note, take the time to look and look again for motorcyclists. I myself ride and have had a few drivers pull out on me due to the sun glaring in their eyes and not being able to see me. (I can tell by the long shadow in front of me) Wearing sunglasses helps greatly this time of year.

Drive safe.
Old 28 September 2014, 01:15 AM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

How on earth are you getting 4 fires in your car do you some work petrol cans around you

Originally Posted by stevebt
Fires are a horrible thing, I have had four in mine so far and putting them out gets a little easier each time also keeping a 2ltr extinguisher in the car always helps as anything less and you're watching your car go up in flames.
Old 28 September 2014, 01:50 PM
AndyBaker
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jaygsi
How on earth are you getting 4 fires in your car do you some work petrol cans around you
I was thinking the same thing to be honest

Trending Topics

Old 28 September 2014, 03:43 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

I'm guessing hes driving around with a *** in one hand and a can of petrol in the other

Originally Posted by AndyBaker
I was thinking the same thing to be honest
Old 28 September 2014, 05:06 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by jaygsi
oil pipes coming loose can cause fires very quickly and I had a bad one with power steering fluid and that goes up very quickly. Fires on highly modified cars are a easier to happen than you think.

If you see smoke out of the rear view mirror in your car I always expect the worst.
Old 28 September 2014, 10:02 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Not nice seeing stuff like that, A few months ago i was traveling down the M40 when on the other side of the motorway cars where quickly coming to a stop and a few cars just pulled onto the hard shoulder, when I looked all I saw was a body flat down in the middle of the motorway and what looked like a Lorry had took him out on the hard shoulder when he was changing a wheel!!
Old 29 September 2014, 08:51 PM
BROOKS1E
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyboy1
Not nice seeing stuff like that, A few months ago i was traveling down the M40 when on the other side of the motorway cars where quickly coming to a stop and a few cars just pulled onto the hard shoulder, when I looked all I saw was a body flat down in the middle of the motorway and what looked like a Lorry had took him out on the hard shoulder when he was changing a wheel!!
An Acquaintance of mine got killed changing his wheel on his van on the hard shoulder a few years ago near junction 10 of the M1 and it was very early in the morning around half 5 i believe, the lorry driver came off at junction 9 and called the police from the services and said he thought he had hit something..........it certainly made me aware of how easily these accidents happen.
Old 29 September 2014, 09:24 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BROOKS1E
An Acquaintance of mine got killed changing his wheel on his van on the hard shoulder a few years ago near junction 10 of the M1 and it was very early in the morning around half 5 i believe, the lorry driver came off at junction 9 and called the police from the services and said he thought he had hit something..........it certainly made me aware of how easily these accidents happen.
If I have to stop on the hard shoulder, I jump out the passenger side, no way am I going out the drivers door with lorrys whizzing past at 55mph.