Sponsored by:

Fatal motorcycle crash

Search this Thread

Old 05 September 2014, 11:35 PM
Donnie Brasco 46
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Fatal motorcycle crash

Some of you may have already seen this, but if you haven't it makes sobering viewing. This video shows a fatal crash from the helmet camera of the unfortunate rider.

It was very brave of the mum to release this footage with the risk of Internet trolls with their comments etc..

It's a little hard hitting, but just goes to show how accidents can happen.

Copy and paste this link into your browser, please watch the whole video - it's only 3 mins long.

Whilst his riding isn't perfect he is courteous to other road users and doesn't deserve the end result

http://m.liveleak.com/view?i=4ee_1409840558

Last edited by Donnie Brasco 46; 05 September 2014 at 11:37 PM. Reason: .
Old 06 September 2014, 12:28 AM
scooby87
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found the video very scary first time I watched as there is literally nothing he can do about it.

I do wonder the speed though as he literally has no chance when that car pulls out

Edit - this link is different from what I say and lists the speed.

Last edited by scooby87; 06 September 2014 at 12:33 AM.
Old 06 September 2014, 01:42 AM
Fonzey
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My mother was killed under very similar circumstances though the speed of the bike as far as I'm aware was never really known.

I have to say though, all this "think bike" stuff irritates me. If you're riding a bike which is difficult to see and gauge the speed of, then you should be very much riding on the cautious side. I've had so many bikes catch me out whilst in a car and a couple of these events could easily have ended in tragedy for the rider and my life would effectively be ruined.

Leave it for track days, more than one life was ruined on this occasion.
Old 06 September 2014, 07:38 AM
barnshaw
Scooby Regular

I completely agree with Fonzey, the video is extremely sad and a big waste of life.

Only 2 days ago I saw a guy on a superbike of some kind weaving in and out of traffic on a dual carriage way only for a Merc to pull out on him, he locked up for about 50 foot , had the car pulled out 2 seconds later he would be dead,

I do agree with "think bike" but bikers also need to "think car" , its all very well them saying look and and look again, but its hard for a novice or new driver to grasp a bikers speed or distance, let alone if there doing beyond triple digit speeds and it happens so quickly.
Old 06 September 2014, 08:45 AM
AWG
Scooby Regular

Very sad, I guess the biker is just a passenger at the point just before impact as any chance of manoeuvrability must be non existent for the rider
Old 06 September 2014, 09:00 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That's why I don't ride bikes anymore.
Old 06 September 2014, 09:04 AM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Very sad to see. Very brave if his mum to release the footage for all to see. Must be so painful for her to have watched that video footage of the moment her son loses his life.

You always imagine you would have time to react but it just goes to prove that you have no time at all in a situation like that.

Trending Topics

Old 06 September 2014, 09:10 AM
mickp
Scooby Regular

Tragic just tragic. R.I.P that fella
Old 06 September 2014, 10:55 AM
CRAZY DAVE4
Scooby Regular

Always going to be divided opinions on this one .
It says bike was doing 97
On a single road going past junctions it was probably only a matter of time.
Driver of car could have taken more care before pulling out but realistically would they expect him to be coming at that speed.
Tragic accident that could have been avoided, time and a place for those speeds.
Old 06 September 2014, 11:20 AM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 747 Likes on 620 Posts

A sad outcome, but can happen at any speed.

Was "removed" from my bike by a car doing a similar manoeuvre, in residential streets doing less than 20mph - car driver "didn't see me".

Luckily escaped with a factured Femur and torn cruciate ligaments
Old 06 September 2014, 12:38 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

That is truly horrible and i feel sorry for his family as well as the car driver.
Maybe the driver should of taking a bit more care but I can't help but put most of the blame on the bike rider. He was clearly riding at well above the speed limit and the overtake on the approach to the junction was completely reckless.
If he had just sat behind the silver car until he past the junction then he would still be here today.

The blame is always pointed at the car driver in incidents like this, but it's not always the case.
A very good friend of mine was involved in an almost identical accident which involved the death of the bike rider. I won't go into detail but at first my friend was seen to be at fault. However the blame was then shifted to the rider after many people came forward and explained how the bike was moving at an incredibly high speed while overtaking stationery traffic at the entrance to the junction.
Old 06 September 2014, 01:14 PM
Dirk Diggler 75
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
That's why I don't ride bikes anymore.
Snap, r.i.p. fella ...
Old 06 September 2014, 01:21 PM
Donnie Brasco 46
Scooby Regular

He was riding too fast and overtaking on the approach to a junction probably wasn't the most responsible thing to do. However police said that he and the car driver were in each other's vision for 7 seconds before the impact so they should've seen each other - in fairness the biker probably saw the car but assumed that he wouldn't turn. Other drivers coming towards the motorcyclist ie behind the Clio said that they saw the motorbike and the Clio driver admitted not only failing to see the motorcyclist but also the car that the biker just overtaken. He clearly wasn't paying any attention
Old 06 September 2014, 03:06 PM
johned
Scooby Regular

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Very sad and what a brave woman R.I.P.young man.
Old 06 September 2014, 04:12 PM
Markyscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

As a biker I always assume the worst of car drivers.....rarely am I let down....

Defensive riding is an art and I'm still here so either lucky or it's working..... Never take chances and never trust a car Not to move, ever....
Old 06 September 2014, 04:53 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Fault lies squarely at both paarties door, the rider shouldn't have been doing that kind of speed especially coming up to a junction with a waiting car, and the car should have waited.

A bit more patience of both sides would have avoided this accident altogether.

Terrible tragedy but bikers are more at risk, and if riding in a manner in which puts them at more of a risk the consequences are truly horrific
Old 06 September 2014, 06:22 PM
Fonzey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Donnie Brasco 46
However police said that he and the car driver were in each other's vision for 7 seconds before the impact
That may be the case, but the head-on profile of a motorbike is extremely difficult to judge the pace of, at least in my experience.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Clio driver DID see the bike, but thought at the distance that it was a perfectly safe maneuver. The bike was doing 135% of the speedlimit so covered the ground much quicker than expected, hence ended in impact.

I'm not saying the Clio is free of all blame - but I really think that it's on the shoulders of bikers to allow for cars, not the other way around.

It's a damn shame stuff like this happens (a lot), but hopefully this video shocks a few bikers into respecting the road a bit more.
Old 06 September 2014, 09:12 PM
jonnyricer2
Scooby Regular

Maybe a silly question did he have his lights on??

From the looks of it the black car almost ambled across as though they did nt see the bike.
Old 06 September 2014, 11:04 PM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Markyscoob
As a biker I always assume the worst of car drivers.....rarely am I let down....

Defensive riding is an art and I'm still here so either lucky or it's working..... Never take chances and never trust a car Not to move, ever....
exactly that my friend ...good experience rider would of reduce their speed when on coming traffic is in sight of junction , yet he made no attempt to reduce his speed .
Old 06 September 2014, 11:28 PM
Kempo
Scooby Regular

From the back story to the video the guy had been riding bikes for many many years and you would have expected him to have a great deal of experience from that but overtaking on the white line and so close to a junction was one half of the tragic causes - the car driver should have waited / seen the bike and car or completed the manoeuvre quickly if committed to turning across the road but did neither.

I ride bikes, the most dangerous places are junctions and roundabouts either because drivers mis judge the speed or just plain don't see.

It is a shocking video and I feel sorry for the family of all those involved. Very sobering as a road user.
Old 07 September 2014, 08:04 AM
jazzyjembreaze
Scooby Regular

You have to ride defensive ( create a bubble )
Junctions are very bad news for bikes & statistics show.
Unfortunately speed was the factor in this accident
RIP
Old 07 September 2014, 09:58 PM
Scooby Stevo
Scooby Regular

Think bike! I always do, but someone tell the complete **** that nearly hit our car with my family in today using a roundabout like a race track.
Works both ways cooking plick!!
Old 08 September 2014, 01:10 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

This explains and highlights exactly why I pass junctions at roughly 60mph, I trust no-one and if I have doubts I back off just like I do on my road bike. As a biker I'm probably slow but I'm so careful

Last edited by Paulo P; 08 September 2014 at 10:06 AM.
Old 08 September 2014, 01:18 AM
*matthewturb2000*
Scooby Regular

That's a nasty video to watch, poor guy rip,
Old 08 September 2014, 08:11 AM
Matt_STi
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Fonzey
That may be the case, but the head-on profile of a motorbike is extremely difficult to judge the pace of, at least in my experience.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Clio driver DID see the bike, but thought at the distance that it was a perfectly safe maneuver. The bike was doing 135% of the speedlimit so covered the ground much quicker than expected, hence ended in impact.
I agree with this 100%, whilst the Clio may or may not have seen the bike, it would be very hard to judge the speed of a motorbike coming right at you.

Whereas with a car, they are larger and your eyes would be able to judge roughly how fast the car was coming and if you can make it across the junction safely.

The motorbike has his lights on (you can see the reflection in the number plate) so whilst this makes the motorbike clearer to see, it might also detract away from how fast he was travelling.

Either way, what a sad way to go.
Old 08 September 2014, 07:28 PM
MrQaud
Scooby Regular

Christ, that video is quite horrific and serves as a great warning for both bikers and car drivers. Makes me shudder to think I once had a bike (briefly) - wouldn't have another one again. They should be showing stuff like this to teenagers about to start driving both cars and riding bikes...