Sponsored by:

Car Lift / Ramp Rental

Search this Thread

Old 22 August 2014, 02:52 PM
trf1979
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Lift / Ramp Rental

Hi, I run a garage in Milton Keynes and we currently rent out our 2 & 4-post lifts to other mechanics and car clubs/enthusiasts for them to do their own repairs and modifications outside of our normal opening hours

We are thinking of expanding this side of the business, but before we do I thought I'd ask people if they would use the service (for say £18 per hour with airlines and basic tools included, discounts for longer/bulk bookings.

As I said we already provide this service for a small group of people that we know and it is quite successful.

What are the ScoobyNetters thoughts?
Old 22 August 2014, 02:59 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

There are certainly a few companies who rent workshop space by the hour already which seems to have taken off really well. Not sure if these include 2 or 4 post lifts though.

The only issue I see commercially for you is health & safety related in the operating of the equipment by totally un-trained personel. Could have an impact on your company liability insurance policy & costs.
Old 23 August 2014, 10:47 AM
LuckyWelshchap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing
There are certainly a few companies who rent workshop space by the hour already which seems to have taken off really well. Not sure if these include 2 or 4 post lifts though.

The only issue I see commercially for you is health & safety related in the operating of the equipment by totally un-trained personel. Could have an impact on your company liability insurance policy & costs.
A really good idea I think, and sound advice as above ^.

Track day insurance and disclaimers etc. springs to mind, so perhaps have a word with your insurers/broker and possibly a solicitor. A one-off consultation shouldn't be that expensive (or perhaps even Google a form of words).

You'd certainly have to cover yourself if a hirer destroyed something vital to your business.
(I'm painting the worst picture of course, adequate supervision would probably cover most of the concerns).
Old 25 August 2014, 12:45 PM
Pheenix_WRX
Scooby Regular

Hi trf1979 - this is a great idea. I live in an apartment with a public car park and there is a limit of what I can do with the car jacked up (and it rains!)

There is a few things I'd like to do myself - oil change, refurb my callipers - so having a lift and the right tools would be awesome for this.

I am not massively experienced mechanically. Would this rate include someone present who would be able to advise if required? If I was there with a group of SN members this wouldn't be a problem I imagine.

Very interested in this service in the future though! What hours would you be thinking of offering this?
Old 25 August 2014, 01:29 PM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pheenix_WRX
Hi trf1979 - this is a great idea. I live in an apartment with a public car park and there is a limit of what I can do with the car jacked up (and it rains!)

There is a few things I'd like to do myself - oil change, refurb my callipers - so having a lift and the right tools would be awesome for this.

I am not massively experienced mechanically. Would this rate include someone present who would be able to advise if required? If I was there with a group of SN members this wouldn't be a problem I imagine.

Very interested in this service in the future though! What hours would you be thinking of offering this?

The only problem (other then those already mentioned) is that most of my jobs end up taking far longer then expected or you get stuck due to rusted parts, worn parts, parts you didn't realise you would need etc. Not a problem on my drive but if my car was then stuck at the garage you would need space to leave it there and potentially pay for doing so.... probably won't happen often but worth considering.
Old 25 August 2014, 02:06 PM
Davros 1979
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where abouts in MK mate?
Old 25 August 2014, 03:21 PM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Received 231 Likes on 172 Posts

Place over here in N.Ireland has been doing it for a few years successfully. So id say fire ahead seems to be a decent business venture

http://www.themotorgym.com/diy_menu.html
Old 26 August 2014, 05:22 PM
trf1979
Scooby Newbie

Glad to hear all the good responses.

TBH, I am actually a little further down the road than just gauging thoughts.

We already have premises (Unit 48, MK2 3HU) and will be officially opening on 13th September (although limited bookings are available before this).

We have 6 ramps (4 x 2-posters & 2 x 4-posters) plus tooling etc as mentioned in my original post.

We already have insurance sorted (was actually very straight forward) they stipulated that we must have a member of staff on site at all times (which will happen anyways).

We will also do a 10-15 minute 'induction' for first time visitors before their allocated booking time, plus we expect customers to sign a disclaimer for damage/harm they do themselves (as mentioned by the previous poster)

If anyone wants more info then feel free to PM me for more info (as I am not allowed to link to it on the open forums)
Old 26 August 2014, 07:38 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Cool!
Old 27 August 2014, 08:53 AM
trf1979
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing
Cool!
Lol, I just noticed your username... love it!
Old 27 August 2014, 09:07 AM
Cpt Jack Sparrow
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by trf1979
Glad to hear all the good responses.

TBH, I am actually a little further down the road than just gauging thoughts.

We already have premises (Unit 48, MK2 3HU) and will be officially opening on 13th September (although limited bookings are available before this).

We have 6 ramps (4 x 2-posters & 2 x 4-posters) plus tooling etc as mentioned in my original post.

We already have insurance sorted (was actually very straight forward) they stipulated that we must have a member of staff on site at all times (which will happen anyways).

We will also do a 10-15 minute 'induction' for first time visitors before their allocated booking time, plus we expect customers to sign a disclaimer for damage/harm they do themselves (as mentioned by the previous poster)

If anyone wants more info then feel free to PM me for more info (as I am not allowed to link to it on the open forums)

Excellent and not too far away