Sponsored by:

Am I asking too much?

Search this Thread

Old 15 August 2014, 08:46 AM
Mr.Two
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I asking too much?

Trying to sell my Bug WRX for £4495. It seems steep compared to most of the others for sale but surely all I've spent in the last month counts for something!? I don't even want to sell it and it's a recent decision, hence still spending money on it But I can't afford two cars

I know the pictures are probably letting the ad down a bit, but has anyone got some feedback which could help me? It's also listed on Autotrader, might get an ad up on PH today if I can get some better photos. Please have a look at the spec in the ad and give me an idea of how much I should be asking:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1714012800...84.m1555.l2649

Thanks
Old 15 August 2014, 08:56 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Your problem is (IMO) that at the end of the day mods rarely add much to the value of a car unless a) they are top of the league or b) the car is already desirable.

Sadly you have a bugeye WRX and not wishing to p1ss on your chips, but that is close to the bottom of the ladder. There was a chap selling a 2006 WRX wagon on here until yesterday with 30K less miles on, lowered, new brakes, RB320 wheels, cat back exhaust, mint bodywork... and he could not get £4200 for it.

At £4500 you are well into good classic money and most people will go that route or spend the extra on an STI.

Sorry, but unless you get exactly the right buyer I reckon you're about £1K over valued.
Old 15 August 2014, 08:57 AM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

There are people who spend 10k on a hawk sti build for example but as soon as they leave the engine builder's they are 5-6k down before they put miles on top. IMO it does seen a bit high, the fact that it says wrx on the front instead of sti is not going to help no matter what you have done.
Old 15 August 2014, 08:58 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

£4500 is to steep for a wrx when sti's can be had for just over 5k

If the engine had been done by scoobyclinic then ring them and give them the reg number - i'm sure kev holds records there

Put it down to 4k and take a slight knock down to maybe 3800 is my advice
Old 15 August 2014, 09:01 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice enough car with a decent spec too, I think your problem is it's still only a modded Bug Wrx and it's always going to struggle at that sort of money when STI's of similar age go for around £5k.

I think it's a good candidate for returning to standard, you could easily see a grand back between the turbo and the other up rated parts and do a simple re flash of a standard map.

IMO it's the only way your going to get close to what your currently asking.

Life's a b!tch sometimes and you'd need to drop the price by £1k to sell as is, so may as well remove the parts and stick it up for £3k ish. which may still be a bit of a hard sell as the only really desirable bugs are Prodrive STI's and S202.

Lol, it would seem the general consensus is the same, must type faster.

Last edited by ditchmyster; 15 August 2014 at 09:05 AM.
Old 15 August 2014, 09:11 AM
Mr.Two
Scooby Regular

Yep you've all confirmed my suspicions unfortunately! I'll drop it to 4k and go from there. It's really not worth selling at that price IMO but I need the money as I've just put a deposit down on an RX7 and have told them I'll collect at the end of the month - therefore no time to sell parts and go down that route.

I'll be back in a while with a JDM Blob STI though
Old 15 August 2014, 09:12 AM
Mr.Two
Scooby Regular

And I did try contacting Scoobyclinic a few months back, they recognised the number plate and remembered the car but wanted me to drive all the way over there just to confirm if they'd rebuilt it. Think they were just being awkward
Old 15 August 2014, 09:18 AM
Tail Slider
BANNED

The problem is that WRX owners buy a few parts from the used STI bin plus some after market mods then when they come to sell it ask near enough STI money.......I see it all the time.
Old 15 August 2014, 09:22 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Yep it's a tough lesson for WRX owners, but they should only really be taken to PPP levels or bought as such, beyond that it's money down the toilet, unless you plan on keeping it.
Old 15 August 2014, 09:22 AM
Mr.Two
Scooby Regular

I should've just bought an STI, I know lol
Old 15 August 2014, 09:45 AM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
Yep it's a tough lesson for WRX owners, but they should only really be taken to PPP levels or bought as such, beyond that it's money down the toilet, unless you plan on keeping it.
Old 15 August 2014, 10:06 AM
taylor85
Scooby Regular

Nice car but as above said it's above a blob Wrx money and pushing near hawkeye Wrx money

My mate got a 55 plate Wrx in nice condition for 4k
Old 15 August 2014, 02:21 PM
MrQaud
Scooby Regular

And just to echo what others have posted on here... I picked up an UK 02 plate Bugeye STI with 70K miles on the clock and receipts for around £13K in mods and servicing for just over £5K last weekend. I originally looked at your car but decided to spend an extra K for the STI. I would have taken a non-STI but I had set a max budget of £3K - £3.5K for one of these.

All that being said, the car looks like it's got a good spec and £4K is virtually nothing for a car these days... If you're prepared to wait long enough you may eventually get your asking price but you might have a long wait unfortunately.

I've been in this position myself many times and it's not nice. Usually I just keep dropping the price by £100 until it sells. I always end up with a hefty loss and I always swear blind it won't happen again... until the next time.

Good luck with your sale.

Last edited by MrQaud; 15 August 2014 at 02:26 PM.
Old 15 August 2014, 03:00 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fat-thomas
So you disagree then?

As far as i'm concerned modding a wrx is a waste of money, sure replace worn parts with up-rated items such as bushes, suspension parts as OE subaru parts are similar prices and sometimes more. Things like handling can be improved upon by stuff like roll bars and anti-lift kits, which is something that can be sold on later as no one will want the standard wrx items so just stick them in the shed. The only other mod that's of any benefit is a brake upgrade and again keep the originals and refit come sale time.

But expensive turbos, ancillaries and remaps trying to make it into something it's not is a complete waste of money.

As I have always said, if your a modder buy an STI.
Old 15 August 2014, 03:01 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
So you disagree then?

As far as i'm concerned modding a wrx is a waste of money, sure replace worn parts with up-rated items such as bushes, suspension parts as OE subaru parts are similar prices and sometimes more. Things like handling can be improved upon by stuff like roll bars and anti-lift kits, which is something that can be sold on later as no one will want the standard wrx items so just stick them in the shed. The only other mod that's of any benefit is a brake upgrade and again keep the originals and refit come sale time.

But expensive turbos, ancillaries and remaps trying to make it into something it's not is a complete waste of money.

As I have always said, if your a modder buy an STI.
no totally agree