Trade policy

Search this Thread

Old 14 August 2014, 06:05 PM
dooby-do
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trade policy

Hi does anybody know a company that will do
A trade policy but accept imported cars and modified cars.
I have seen a few about but a lot won't allow imported cars or modified cars
Any help would be much appriciated
Old 14 August 2014, 06:53 PM
PADDYHOEY
Scooby Regular

I'm with tradex, the broker is clegg Gifford.
Old 14 August 2014, 07:47 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Are you a genuine trader, or just looking for a traders policy so you can drive any car.

If you are a genuine registered trader you should be ok, but if not you might end up in trouble if you have a claim.
Many companies will ask for proof of your last 5/6 sales, along with VAT receipts. If you can't provide them there is a very good chance they'll throw any claim out and cancel your policy.

I've spoken to lots off people looking for quoted who have had this happen to them, so just be careful.
Old 14 August 2014, 07:48 PM
Rick2014
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PADDYHOEY
I'm with tradex, the broker is clegg Gifford.
Same here.Customer service is a bit shocking
Old 14 August 2014, 08:16 PM
Rickfh
Scooby Regular

i was with groupama with a JDM blob and my mates with them and has a modified Evo 6!
Old 14 August 2014, 08:18 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Trade insurance does make me laugh. I took out a trade policy the other week for my business, all i work on are lorries and vans. She gave me the whole.. no imports, no modified, no american and no cosworths (jesus, they were banging on about the cosworth exemption in the early 90's lol). Yes, no problem, not interested in any of that anyway. She then asked if I had any private cars I wanted to add to my trade policy. I laughed and explained my private car was an import and modified so they wouldn't touch it. I thought she'd just say fu@k that but she was very keen to help me get it on the policy as (in her words) why waste the money insuring it elsewhere. You can bet your life if you rang up and were trying to put a car like that on there straight away they'd tell you no chance, but go about it **** about face and they want to help.

I'm not interested in putting it on my trade policy anyway as I'm more than happy with Greenlight covering it for a great price and it's paid up.
Old 14 August 2014, 08:22 PM
LUCKO
Scooby Regular

if over 30 and in a good postcode i can hook you up with modifieds and imports with comprehensive cover

Avoid tradewise they ask for pictures of most imports
Old 14 August 2014, 08:50 PM
dooby-do
Scooby Regular

I'm 32 and love in Milton Keynes but the nice part hahaha
I do work a regular job but also fix other cars in my part time and
Also have a few cars myself and thought rather than having 2 policy's on each of the cars and then ringing insurance company everytime I want to drive a customers car though a trade policy would be the best way to go, it's more of a private buissness than a full on business
Old 15 August 2014, 12:16 AM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dooby-do
I'm 32 and love in Milton Keynes but the nice part hahaha I do work a regular job but also fix other cars in my part time and Also have a few cars myself and thought rather than having 2 policy's on each of the cars and then ringing insurance company everytime I want to drive a customers car though a trade policy would be the best way to go, it's more of a private buissness than a full on business
Won't cut it dude, I was the same and I honestly wouldn't waste your time, don't want to sound blunt but if you can't prove your trading with receipts and other things as listed above you will be up the creek without a paddle. I could produce everything and for the hassle it was for what I was doing wasn't worth it in the end.

Just note as well that any private no claims you put upon the policy you won't get back at the end should you want to withdraw from the policy. From that point forward they are classified as "trade bonus" and will be very hard to get insurance companies to accept them. There are ways about it and some very nice people about that can help (cheers Reggie) so just keep that in mind
Old 15 August 2014, 01:27 AM
LUCKO
Scooby Regular

Your very welcome mate
Old 15 August 2014, 06:23 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I was with Tradex for a few years when I had my business, covered for customers cars and my own vehicles. (which included a modified import) I ventured into other areas business wise but kept the policy for a couple of years, mrs had a crash and they covered it no questions asked and I had one later and again they covered it no questions asked.

I have since swapped to a family fleet policy with them and they gave me my 5yrs no claims too. Customer service was always good, mind you I did always sweet talk the girlies on the end of the phone

Just putting my experience forward for balance and to offer the other option of family fleet as you can swap and change vehicles the same as with the trade policy even via text.

IMO If your nice to people then they are usually nice back.
Old 15 August 2014, 06:52 AM
donny andi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dooby-do
I'm 32 and love in Milton Keynes but the nice part hahaha
I do work a regular job but also fix other cars in my part time and
Also have a few cars myself and thought rather than having 2 policy's on each of the cars and then ringing insurance company everytime I want to drive a customers car though a trade policy would be the best way to go, it's more of a private buissness than a full on business
Cost me over 4k when I splattered my wr1 using trade policies.
Moley can confirm the **** I went through with all the advice I got off him.

At the end of the day you are not a real trader , the first time you try and make a claim they know what to ask for.....and trust me you won't be able to give them what they want.
They will happily sell you a policy though....
I personally now have 4 separate policies but if the worse case scenario happens the f***ers will pay out
Old 15 August 2014, 09:57 AM
Moley
Sponsor

We get quite a few phone calls wanting traders policies, 90% of those aren't traders, they just want a policy so they can drive any car, trying to fiddle the system.

The 10% of ones who are genuine traders i refer to LUCKO, as he can offer a very good trade policy IF you are a genuine trader.
Old 15 August 2014, 10:13 AM
Rick2014
Scooby Regular

Insurance companys dont help themselves charging stupid amounts of money just to insure a car.And people wonder why ****loads of drivers drive round with out insurance.if it was affordable drivers wouldnt be dodging insurance and pay simple as that.there is alot of greedy fisted companys out there who take your money and arnt interested after that.There just interested in a bit of comission.For me im a genuine trader and i have trouble with customer service over the phone which is disgusting,yet when your enquiring about starting a policy and talking money insurance companys are nice as pie till money changes hands then they dont want to no.In my opinion its just a big version of a money making racket
Old 15 August 2014, 10:30 AM
jawadarif
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LUCKO
if over 30 and in a good postcode i can hook you up with modifieds and imports with comprehensive cover

Avoid tradewise they ask for pictures of most imports
im 33 but post code ****. with trade wise, scooby not a problem but did have a problem with my evo, had to get a private policy. im not full time trader just part time. got 5 year no claim with tradewise insurace and no point or claim.
just my post ****
Old 15 August 2014, 07:00 PM
Tyre-fitter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX
We get quite a few phone calls wanting traders policies, 90% of those aren't traders, they just want a policy so they can drive any car, trying to fiddle the system.

The 10% of ones who are genuine traders i refer to LUCKO, as he can offer a very good trade policy IF you are a genuine trader.
Hi,ive got my own tyre business & im vat registered,,i had a trader policy before i got my widetrack but when i foned my ins co to add it on they said sorry you cannot add a car like that,,,,so whats the point in having a traders policy then,,but it wouldnt affect my policy if i put a 90k rangerover sport on it.

Andy.
Old 15 August 2014, 07:54 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Rick2014
Insurance companys dont help themselves charging stupid amounts of money just to insure a car.And people wonder why ****loads of drivers drive round with out insurance.if it was affordable drivers wouldnt be dodging insurance and pay simple as that.there is alot of greedy fisted companys out there who take your money and arnt interested after that.There just interested in a bit of comission.For me im a genuine trader and i have trouble with customer service over the phone which is disgusting,yet when your enquiring about starting a policy and talking money insurance companys are nice as pie till money changes hands then they dont want to no.In my opinion its just a big version of a money making racket
My sister-in-law is an underwriter for a trade insurer, and a friend works I the claims dept for the same company.

It's easy to accuse the insurers of being greedy, but when traders are offering to add 17/18 year olds and their cars onto the policy in exchange for £1000 (pretending they work for them) I'd doesn't take a genius to understand why the prices are going up, and claims being investigated.
And the "oh you've had an accident be wasn't insured, I'll say you were on my trade policy for £500" is still going on after all these years.

It's popular to knock the insurers, but there are reasons why the prices are what they are.
Old 15 August 2014, 09:07 PM
Rick2014
Scooby Regular

Well if the insurance keeps getting expensive nobody is gonna be able to insure a car are they.Its gonna result in more drivers avoiding buying insurance for the reason they carnt afford to.If it was cheap enough for people to afford we wouldn't have a problem.And im not just on about trade insurance im on about car insurance in general
Old 15 August 2014, 09:29 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Insurance has gone down over the last 5 years from being sky high IMO.
Old 16 August 2014, 11:30 AM
Moley
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Rick2014
Well if the insurance keeps getting expensive nobody is gonna be able to insure a car are they.Its gonna result in more drivers avoiding buying insurance for the reason they carnt afford to.If it was cheap enough for people to afford we wouldn't have a problem.And im not just on about trade insurance im on about car insurance in general
It's catch 22

Insurance kept going up due to most people involved in an accident claiming for personal injury.

Higher payouts = higher premiums.

If the fraudulent claims reduce so will the premiums.

You think increased premiums make more people claim, but I see that increased claims are increasing the premiums.

Insurance is actually coming down in price by the way, as insurers are starting to fight these PI claims now
Old 16 August 2014, 11:58 AM
Gurj
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
I have since swapped to a family fleet policy
Apologies to the OP, but can you tell me more about this?
Could you cover modified cars under this?
Old 16 August 2014, 12:17 PM
Darrell@Scoobyworx
Authorised Trader

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sky Insurance, Ask for John Baker
Old 17 August 2014, 01:22 PM
jawadarif
Scooby Regular

Default High insurance

People claim over little bump. Back in the day it was ,if a small bump sort it out private but know first think people do is grab they neck. Happen to my dad van few month ago. Just a wing damaged . Offered to pay for repair but said no.
Old 17 August 2014, 01:24 PM
jawadarif
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rickfh
i was with groupama with a JDM blob and my mates with them and has a modified Evo 6!
How you with them direct or through a broker . Got letter yes day from trade wise ,wanted picture of the subaru . Never happen in the past with the scooby. Getting sick of them ,only mod it got is a spoiler so see what wait what happen.
Old 17 August 2014, 02:51 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

I Had my JDM blob sti and my uk blob sti on my policy with tradewise and was never asked for pictures. I simply requested to add them to the MID which was no problem and had letters from tradewise to say they had been successfully added to the policy.
Old 18 August 2014, 07:08 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gurj
Apologies to the OP, but can you tell me more about this?
Could you cover modified cars under this?
Speak to Tradex/Clegg Gifford, non of my currently insured vehicles are modified although they never had a problem with my STI Type R for 7yrs, but that's tucked away at the moment so will cross that bridge in a few yrs.

I currently have 3 vehicles insured on this policy for around £900, bit less I think, was last december so I can't remember exactly, main point being I got to keep my 5yrs ncb, from my trade policy, the Subaru alone would have been something like that without any ncb plus my mrs Rover was coming out around £500 and my T4 Transporter about the same so I saved around £1k it also saves the hassle of 3 different policies and I'll be able to use the ncb on a normal policy should I decide to change things at a later date.

But as in my post above, I've never had any problems with them in about 12yrs since my first trade policy, may take a few calls to get through to them as I don't like waiting in their queuing system on the phone when they are busy, but always very pleasant and helpful when I've dealt with them.

I used to be in customer service so I understand the importance of being nice to the people on the other end of the phone if you want to get something out of them.
Old 18 August 2014, 10:01 AM
Moley
Sponsor

I used to be in customer service so I understand the importance of being nice to the people on the other end of the phone if you want to get something out of them.
I wish more people did this
Old 18 August 2014, 10:35 AM
LUCKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Infected by sti
I Had my JDM blob sti and my uk blob sti on my policy with tradewise and was never asked for pictures. I simply requested to add them to the MID which was no problem and had letters from tradewise to say they had been successfully added to the policy.
they have been asking for pictures for over a year now

If your car had any modifications it would have been covered TPO
Old 18 August 2014, 05:53 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX
I wish more people did this
Ah yes but there's nothing quite so pleasing as giving an **** a taste of his own medicine.

If anyone gave me **** i'd stick it to them sooooooo bad, long wait, all the forms any little indiscrepancies and then another loooooooooooooong wait and be as un helpful and un-cooperative as possible oh yeah and another looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong wait.
Old 18 August 2014, 07:52 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Ah yes but there's nothing quite so pleasing as giving an **** a taste of his own medicine.

If anyone gave me **** i'd stick it to them sooooooo bad, long wait, all the forms any little indiscrepancies and then another loooooooooooooong wait and be as un helpful and un-cooperative as possible oh yeah and another looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong wait.
Lol, you sound like me

If someone is rude to me it's normally a very long quote, with lots of very pointless questions, 10 minutes on hold whilst I 'refer' it, then a...... "Sorry, we can't insure you"

Quick Reply: Trade policy