ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Put a deposit down on this Scooby

Search this Thread

Old 07 August 2014, 10:53 PM
Bushy-N/A
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Put a deposit down on this Scooby

I know it is different from the two Imprezas I've had before, plus I have finally bought myself a Subaru with a turbo fitted , it being a Forester makes it better for our ever growing family.

I will have a proper look around the car on Saturday, especially under the hood. Anything in particular I should be checking out / looking for with these Foresters? Besides the usual rust spots and all the rest?

I'm really looking forward to the different experience with the Forester. Was looking at older MY99 models, but this one just seems too good to be true.

I have found out that the timing belt was changed at 105,000 miles and the last service on the car was done at 135,000 miles.

Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-03-SUBARU-FORESTER-XT-TURBO-AWD-FABULOUS-SPEC-CHEAPEST-EVER-/191278555767?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=VYsJYTblaQ1UA0mOus1gl2DiLxs%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Last edited by Bushy-N/A; 07 August 2014 at 10:55 PM.
Old 07 August 2014, 11:01 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

Lad learn English it's bonnet not hood were in uk

Nice choice, they do sound beefy
Old 07 August 2014, 11:02 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Bushy-N/A
I know it is different from the two Imprezas I've had before, plus I have finally bought myself a Subaru with a turbo fitted , it being a Forester makes it better for our ever growing family.

I will have a proper look around the car on Saturday, especially under the hood. Anything in particular I should be checking out / looking for with these Foresters? Besides the usual rust spots and all the rest?

I'm really looking forward to the different experience with the Forester. Was looking at older MY99 models, but this one just seems too good to be true.

I have found out that the timing belt was changed at 105,000 miles and the last service on the car was done at 135,000 miles.

Link: 2003 03 Subaru Forester XT Turbo AWD Fabulous Spec Cheapest Ever | eBay
How much?
Old 07 August 2014, 11:08 PM
Bushy-N/A
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jaygsi
Lad learn English it's bonnet not hood were in uk

Nice choice, they do sound beefy
Hahaha... sorry, I do normally say bonnet, but just had the urge to write "under the hood".

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815
How much?
It was on sale for £1495, put down a £200 deposit so far and will pay the rest on collection.
Old 07 August 2014, 11:11 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

this one just seems too good to be true.
You know how the old saying goes!
Hope it's ok for you mate good luck
Old 07 August 2014, 11:13 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

Ok your let off

What bhp do they run don't know much bout them.

Hahaha... sorry, I do normally say bonnet, but just had the urge to write "under the hood".

Last edited by jaygsi; 07 August 2014 at 11:15 PM.
Old 07 August 2014, 11:17 PM
Bushy-N/A
Scooby Regular

Ok your let off

What bhp do they run don't know much bout them.
Found this online: http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/review...te-2002/24287/

This is all new territory for me, so will be reading up loads on the Forester in the next few days/weeks/months/years.
Old 07 August 2014, 11:20 PM
Bushy-N/A
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ossett2k2
You know how the old saying goes!
Hope it's ok for you mate good luck
I know, my wife has gone over all the info a million times trying to find something that would get us not to buy the car, but after a very long and hard look we decided to go with it.

So here's hoping it all works out for us and the new Scooby in our lives! Once I was told by the missus that a family car was needed I just couldn't look at anything else but Foresters, so this will be my ideal car right now.
Old 07 August 2014, 11:21 PM
SLHawkWagon
Scooby Regular

IIRC the forester s turbo was about 180 and the GT was circa 220.my brothers had a couple and they've been pretty bullet proof..
Old 08 August 2014, 01:53 AM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

Who would of thought that so many Subaru owners would be such picky spellers.

You **** you're money down the drain but as long as you, dot the I and............
Old 08 August 2014, 07:47 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Ok 'your' let off

Haha, you numpty.

Back to the op, you have put a deposit down on a car that you haven't seen? Are you mad?
Old 08 August 2014, 08:42 AM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 746 Likes on 619 Posts

This is all new territory for me, so will be reading up loads on the Forester in the next few days/weeks/months/years.
Worth visiting the European forum at subaruforester.org

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f75/
Old 08 August 2014, 09:15 AM
328isport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gear Head
Haha, you numpty.

Back to the op, you have put a deposit down on a car that you haven't seen? Are you mad?
Quite common for a dealer to ask for this to hold a car, had the same on my classic, I don't have a issue with it to be fair as at least it stops the worry of someone else buying the car before you can get over to see it. As long as it's on the understanding that if the car is not as described then it's refundable it works well for both parties
Old 10 August 2014, 04:41 PM
Bushy-N/A
Scooby Regular

So I went and had a look on the Forester 2.0XT that I put a £200.00 deposit on and as the son of the dealer (dealer was out of town for the weekend) drove up I could hear the distinct sound of unequal headers and the amazing flat-4 soundtrack.

I had a very good nosy around the vehicle, I mean sure she had some stone chips and age related marks, but she has no dinks and dents for one. There is no rust that I could see or feel by hand in any of the arches, undercarriage and the rest of the car. The interior is in amazing condition and everything works like it should.

So after a test drive and the paperwork was signed I set my destination in my SatNav and set off. I must say that I picked up an example that pulls like a train, has no funny knocks, bumps or sputters from the engine bay, no coloured smoke from the exhaust or anything like that.

To say that I am a very very happy man is an understatement.

The only thing I did notice was the fuel level drops faster than my MY99 N/A Imprezas.

So I will now get to know the engine bay a bit better and ensure that she is kept in immaculate condition.

So I will keep an eye out for the ESOC meets and any meets on the UKForester.com meets...

As soon as this weather clears up and I can get stuck in and clean the car how I would like it cleaned then I will take some pictures for all to see.

After I got rid of my 20-valve 1.8l Golf GTI I thought I'd never see a turbo car again with the family growing, but this has really set the bar for me now. I won't be able to live without my Fozzy now and that's after only having her for 2 days now.