Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

M3 owner with questions for you scooby lot!

Search this Thread

Old 07 August 2014, 07:25 PM
Dan_Pearl
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question M3 owner with questions for you scooby lot!

Hi there everyone!!

New member here, and a complete Scooby/Jap car novice.
But having spent my entire driving career driving German cars mainly VW's and BMW's i feel a change is needed, and i think a scooby could be exactly what i'm looking for!! In partic a Hawkeye STi. But....
I have a few questions first having never driven one or even been in one!
So please excuse my total innocence when it comes to my questions. Ask me anything to do with Golf GTi's, R32's or M3's i'm fine...but the finer points of a turbo charged flat 4 rice rocket i'm in the dark.

Having gone from a Mk4 VW Golf R32 Seen here, which was modded in a very OEM+ way (how us VAG guys like it)....minus the Full Manifold Back Milltek non res exhaust system and Race Cats and H&R Suspension.

To what is my current drive....my E46 BMW M3 Individual....in one of the rarest special order colours available, Mora Metallic (Dark purply, aubergine colour). As far as could be found mine is supposed to be one of only 50 ever made....in the world! My car is totally standard other than a Alpine touch screen double din navi unit that replaced the archaic BMW Navi unit. Here she is in all her shining glory

ANYWAY! Enough picture whoring! Back to the reason i'm here!

As much as i LOVE and ADORE my M3, and it really is F&$king fast, and the rear wheel drive is fantastic fun...in the right conditions, it just isnt quite EXCITING me. And i feel its abit to understated lol! There's plenty of time for understated power when i'm abit older....for now i'd like to go back to abit more lairy power! And i've ALWAYS had a soft spot for sccobys.

So here are my questions:

1. Has anyone on here happen to have been a ex-M3 owner and currently a scooby sti owner? If so what are your impressions both Powerwise, quality and usability compared to an M3?

2. Fuel... the M3 defo isnt great with fuel, would a STI been better, same worse? If so by how much. For general day to day driving.

3. What does a ''forged engine'' consist of? Is it something recommended for all Scoobs? or just much higher power ones? Is it expensive to do?

4. How would a Sti running a PPP or any tuners stage 1/2 power packs making the car run around 330-350bhp compare to the M3's standard 343bhp?

5. Just a general what does everyone think to my idea of moving to a scooby from an M3? Mental? or good idea?

Really really looking forward to hearing everyone's thoughts, answers and opinions! I'm a big fan of owners club forums! Having been a member on R320C and M3cutters forums i think there the best source of info and advice

Regards Dan
Old 07 August 2014, 07:33 PM
scooblet
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

That colour of the M3 is STUNNING!
Old 07 August 2014, 07:43 PM
scoobyman2012
Scooby Regular

Nice m3,
I have had a e46 m3 smg , and now I have blob eye sti 2005 with PPP, I would say the m3 is defiantly faster , but the Impreza probably feels faster because of the power delivery , (Impreza is quicker of the line), but scooby can be tuned to more power with not much money,

I don't think you be disappointed with the sti , but I still miss my m3 as was a good all round car

M3 is better on fuel than the scooby

Last edited by scoobyman2012; 07 August 2014 at 07:45 PM.
Old 07 August 2014, 07:47 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Both nice cars you have!!!

If your after a UK hawkeye Impreza you really need to read this first, regarding the 2.5 litre engine reliability or lack of!!!
https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...-failures.html

If you got £11-15k, get a JDM hawk STi, some info can be found on this thread, between a UK and JDM car!!
https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...k-and-jdm.html

Oh and welcome!!!
Old 07 August 2014, 07:52 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan_Pearl
Hi there everyone!!

New member here, and a complete Scooby/Jap car novice.
But having spent my entire driving career driving German cars mainly VW's and BMW's i feel a change is needed, and i think a scooby could be exactly what i'm looking for!! In partic a Hawkeye STi. But....
I have a few questions first having never driven one or even been in one!
So please excuse my total innocence when it comes to my questions. Ask me anything to do with Golf GTi's, R32's or M3's i'm fine...but the finer points of a turbo charged flat 4 rice rocket i'm in the dark.

Having gone from a Mk4 VW Golf R32 Seen here, which was modded in a very OEM+ way (how us VAG guys like it)....minus the Full Manifold Back Milltek non res exhaust system and Race Cats and H&R Suspension.

To what is my current drive....my E46 BMW M3 Individual....in one of the rarest special order colours available, Mora Metallic (Dark purply, aubergine colour). As far as could be found mine is supposed to be one of only 50 ever made....in the world! My car is totally standard other than a Alpine touch screen double din navi unit that replaced the archaic BMW Navi unit. Here she is in all her shining glory

ANYWAY! Enough picture whoring! Back to the reason i'm here!

As much as i LOVE and ADORE my M3, and it really is F&$king fast, and the rear wheel drive is fantastic fun...in the right conditions, it just isnt quite EXCITING me. And i feel its abit to understated lol! There's plenty of time for understated power when i'm abit older....for now i'd like to go back to abit more lairy power! And i've ALWAYS had a soft spot for sccobys.

So here are my questions:

1. Has anyone on here happen to have been a ex-M3 owner and currently a scooby sti owner? If so what are your impressions both Powerwise, quality and usability compared to an M3?

2. Fuel... the M3 defo isnt great with fuel, would a STI been better, same worse? If so by how much. For general day to day driving.

3. What does a ''forged engine'' consist of? Is it something recommended for all Scoobs? or just much higher power ones? Is it expensive to do?

4. How would a Sti running a PPP or any tuners stage 1/2 power packs making the car run around 330-350bhp compare to the M3's standard 343bhp?

5. Just a general what does everyone think to my idea of moving to a scooby from an M3? Mental? or good idea?

Really really looking forward to hearing everyone's thoughts, answers and opinions! I'm a big fan of owners club forums! Having been a member on R320C and M3cutters forums i think there the best source of info and advice

Regards Dan
Hi, and welcome.

I can't answer everything...but having gone from a Classic UK scoob-->VXR Monaro --> MKV R32 (with boring stuff in between) I can catorgorically state that my R32 is BETTER on fuel than my scoob ever was.

Put it this way. Best I got out the scoob was about 28mpg. Average 21mpg. R32 best is 36mpg, and average 24mpg. Even the Monaro was better than the scoob on fuel, and that's a 400bhp 6.0 V8.

Obviously a newer scoob maybe is better on fuel, but the general concensus is the fuel consumption is shyte. In my opinion, if you worry about MPG, buy something boring like a Prius.

Forged vs stock (cast). This is the method of which metal components are made. Forged is stronger than cast (if of good quality). Usually its just the pistons, but can include conrods. Obvioulsly you've seen adverts saying "forged engine", which is bull-sh*t often touted by bull-sh*tters which is a sad downside of scooby owership. Because one part is forged, it doesn't make the whole engine forged. As the, block, cylinder head, crank, camshafts etc are still cast. What is important is who built the engine an reciepts to prove what parts where used if a engine was built using upgraded compenents.

M3 to scoob? Well typical of any transistion from normal aspiriation to turbo is teh "kick" when the turbo spools up. Its fun, novel and makes the car feel quick. But with that comes lag and poor low rpm response. Where you get nothing, then all of a sudden you get everything. With teh BM (or R32) its a gradual build of power that keeps going all the way to the red line. It'll be personal preference to what you prefer in the long term, but the turbo power delivery is more fun, but the novelty "may" wear off, especially if you end up with a laggy car (hence my preference for twin-scroll turbos).
Old 07 August 2014, 08:23 PM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

Well.........just my opinion but if you could get a hawk sti with a forged engine and around the power you have mentioned then I should imagine that you won't be missing the m3 to much.

The down side's to the 2.5 engines are that they have had issues with ringland failures (pistons) and oil pick up lines. There has been some issues with the hatch sti due to mapping caused by Subaru's attempts to improve emissions although a custom map from one of the pro mappers on here would go some way to improve this.

You can find 2.5's that have had the internales forged and more often than not a power increase but they are few and far between for a good one so be patient if this is the path you choose. Failing that then you could buy a hawkeye and have the engine forged yourself that would give you the added benefit of running it in yourself, being part of the process and having it tailored to your needs and wants. Ie power etc. It is hard to give you a idea on price, the more power the more money per bhp you have to spend, I would think a minimum of 3k to 4k with the sky being the limit.

The upsides......the 2.5 has more torque than the 2.0 so better for the road and with the exception of the 2005 blobeye they have a wider track to the 2.0 so improved handling from standard.

Fuel wise they should be similar to your m3 but the more power the more fuel. The 2.5 also has fly-by-wire throttle that the 2.0 don't have so you can have ECUTEK racerom that has duel maps, one could be setup for low power giving you increase longevity and better mpg while the other map can give you full power and some added toys, such as, launch control, anti lag, flat foot shifting and throttle blips on down changes, there could be more but can't think.

The standard power of a hawk sti is 280bhp and that alone is enough to stay with your m3 so any power increase and you will be looking to be pulling away.

With regards to handling, if it's wet then m3's stand no chance, if it's dry then it depends how good a driver you are, if you are a racing driver then the m3 may just have the edge, ìf you are not then you will be hard pressed to get the most out of a m3, especially with the uk road's. What the sti offers is the opportunity to optimise most of it's handling ability and when you over step the mark, if you have the ***** then it will be some safe understeer unlike the m3 that will want to kill you for your mistakes as you may know.

If I've left anything out then feel free to ask any questions, even the stupid ones
Old 07 August 2014, 08:34 PM
chieftain333
Scooby Regular

Hi and welcome,
I went from an E36 M3 to a scoob for exactly the same reason. The M3 was a gorgeous car...in fact I would say it was one of the best E36 M3s in the country,it was a '94 with 17k on the clock when I bought it 8 years ago. It was in showroom condition and looked brand new but it left me very underwhelmed and missed the turbo kick that I had when I owned an MR2 turbo so I stuck it up for sale looking for a skyline.
A guy on here approached me and to cut a long story short we exchanged cars...keys for keys and we were both very happy men,and I'm still here 7 years later which shows how much I love imprezas.
To some up-M3-beautifully made,silky engine,lazy performance
Impreza-not so beautifully made,stunning engines,addictive performance

From this-

To this-

Andy
Old 07 August 2014, 08:38 PM
jazzyjembreaze
Scooby Regular

Out the showroom the M3
Out the workshop Hawkeye

Bank balance in the Red mind
Old 07 August 2014, 08:50 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Thats the problem, I could buy a M3 and pretty much leave it alone, as there is no point tuning a N/A engine as you really not going to get much bhp from it unless spending extreme amounts of money turbocharging/supercharging!! So I always in my mind think I could be happy with a fast BMW/Audi and not spend money on modding them.

Where as the Impreza I always find myself spending and messing with them, as standard there really not that great, have a remap and a exhaust and it turns into a different car, but unfortunatly it never just stops with a map and exhaust, you find yourself trauling the "For Sale" ads on here looking for billet turbo's and coilovers and wheels etc, gets expensive and obsessive!!!
Old 07 August 2014, 08:52 PM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

Having typed my post and then making myself a coffee I have seen some have said go JDM (Japanese domestic model).

I may well get shot for saying but like for like, ie same age and mileage the jdm car will cost more. The money you could save buying a 2.5 hawk can be spent on getting the internales forged, this will give you some warranty on the engine if done at a good engine builder and the advantage of being the only one to own the freshly built engine unlike a jdm that has been thrown round Japan.

The JDM does have a twinscoll turbo but then as I've said, the 2.5 has better torque and low down grunt. The jdm wouldn't be as big a step away from the m3 as the hawk in terms of the engine. The reasons for loving the subaru engine is the turbo and trying to eradicate all turbo lag is spooling some of the fun.

Now shoot away lads, I am ready.
Old 07 August 2014, 09:00 PM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyboy1
, as standard there really not that great, have a remap and a exhaust and it turns into a different car,D
Come on, thats a bit harsh to say the least.
Old 07 August 2014, 09:13 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chris j t
Having typed my post and then making myself a coffee I have seen some have said go JDM (Japanese domestic model).

I may well get shot for saying but like for like, ie same age and mileage the jdm car will cost more. The money you could save buying a 2.5 hawk can be spent on getting the internales forged, this will give you some warranty on the engine if done at a good engine builder and the advantage of being the only one to own the freshly built engine unlike a jdm that has been thrown round Japan.

The JDM does have a twinscoll turbo but then as I've said, the 2.5 has better torque and low down grunt. The jdm wouldn't be as big a step away from the m3 as the hawk in terms of the engine. The reasons for loving the subaru engine is the turbo and trying to eradicate all turbo lag is spooling some of the fun.

Now shoot away lads, I am ready.
When I had my UK Hawk STi, my mate had/still has his JDM hawk STi, both had similar engine modifications and having driven both regularly, I would agree that the 2.5 feels more torquey then the JDM as expected as it has a extra 500cc, but with the 2.5 compared to the 2 litre twin scroll the 2.5 feels like a diesel(sounds silly) it doesnt seem to rev aswell as the JDM(JDM does have a higher rev limit).

The 2.5 you put your foot down and your pretty much looking for the next gear as the shift light it flashing at you, where as the JDM just seems to rev for ages, and you seem to get the scream from the twin scroll(quite addictive) in reality though both cars where evenly matched in a straight line but with similar power your not going to see either car pull a few car lengths unless the other one is running a extra 50+bhp.

I loved my UK hawk STi, and if I had to choose out of the UK or JDM hawk STi, then it would have to be the JDM everytime, but the JDM carries a premium over the UK car in some cases, you only have to look at the classifieds over the last 6 months, a JDM hawk goes up for sale and its £12-15k and gets sold straight away, a UK hawk STi can be had from anything from £9k-13k and you still see the same cars for sale from 6 months ago!!
Old 07 August 2014, 09:17 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Come on, thats a bit harsh to say the least.
Im serious, I went in a 05 widetrack blobeye STi recently with a backbox as the only modification and it just didnt excite. Like I say, a remap and decat and its a different car,it seems to wakes it up, but I do find that with many turbo cars!!!
Old 07 August 2014, 09:31 PM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

When I had my UK Hawk STi, my mate had/still has his JDM hawk STi, both had similar engine modifications and having driven both regularly, I would agree that the 2.5 feels more torquey then the JDM as expected as it has a extra 500cc, but with the 2.5 compared to the 2 litre twin scroll the 2.5 feels like a diesel(sounds silly) it doesnt seem to rev aswell as the JDM(JDM does have a higher rev limit).

The 2.5 you put your foot down and your pretty much looking for the next gear as the shift light it flashing at you, where as the JDM just seems to rev for ages, and you seem to get the scream from the twin scroll(quite addictive) in reality though both cars where evenly matched in a straight line but with similar power your not going to see either car pull a few car lengths unless the other one is running a extra 50+bhp.

I loved my UK hawk STi, and if I had to choose out of the UK or JDM hawk STi, then it would have to be the JDM everytime, but the JDM carries a premium over the UK car in some cases, you only have to look at the classifieds over the last 6 months, a JDM hawk goes up for sale and its £12-15k and gets sold straight away, a UK hawk STi can be had from anything from £9k-13k and you still see the same cars for sale from 6 months ago!!
I like the diesel analogy, not that the op should think a sti is like a diesel but thats why I think the 2.5 over the jdm, it's a bigger step from the m3.

On the other hand, the twinscoll may be more to his liking if he wants to keep to a car that likes to rev, either way,2.5 forged or 2.0 jdm twinscoll and the op should be very happy.
Old 07 August 2014, 09:35 PM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

Im serious, I went in a 05 widetrack blobeye STi recently with a backbox as the only modification and it just didnt excite. Like I say, a remap and decat and its a different car,it seems to wakes it up, but I do find that with many turbo cars!!!
Yeah, but you've just sold a pretty impressive 2.5, a standard sti would be underwhelming for you, but I hear what your saying, for what it costs for remap etc you get a improved car.
Old 07 August 2014, 09:38 PM
chieftain333
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Xline
You're doing it backwards. You should have had the lairy, noisy chavwagon first, and then moved onto the "proper" car afterwards Why aren't you looking at the performance Audis?

IMHO, scoobies have absolutely zero quality or style, they're just capable of being really quick hooligan cars.
Style isn't everything,build quality isn't important to some people. For a point to point fun car you don't get much better than an impreza. I can't comment on any RS's but my friend had an S4 and it was dull and heavy feeling....and I like hooligan chavwagons
Old 08 August 2014, 08:19 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd say all newage cars are quite refined compared to classics, they're a good compromise between relative comfort and hoonability. As a daily driver for a car enthusiast I think they are very hard to beat even by todays standards given it's a 14yr old design.

This is a subject that get's tossed around here on a regular basis and my opinion is buy the best example you can find then keep it tip top and you'll get a good chunk of your money back come sale time.

Uk or JDM is swings and roundabouts, pay less for a UK car in the beginning or more for a JDM and you get a bit more money back at sale time, I don't think depreciation is any different on either as good examples of either will command a premium.

One main thing in my eyes is the gear ratios being shorter on the JDM is not necessarily for everyone along with the twin scroll. I say focus on what you will be using the car for and base your decision on that.

As I see it.

Weekender / toy doing a lot of track days then Spec C.
Small weekly commute weekend B road blast few track days then JDM STI
Full on everyday car but want a bit of that special something that only comes from a flat four turbo then UK STI.

Well the last one is debatable if you need some practicality as well then it's got to be the WRX Wagon PPP, which is the thinking mans choice.

oh and one for the fat man.
Old 08 August 2014, 08:41 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

i've just done the reverse move. They are very very different cars. M3 more refined, better build quality, faster than a standard scoob straight line and as good b road (in the dry). Wet is a bit different and the m3 does feel more planted, especialy at higher speeds.

Once you start tuning the scoob its a very different animal. If your getting a hawk then must be forged or budget 3-4k to get it forged (rebuilt with forged pistons and uprated rods). Suspension has a nasty habbit of being an issue on the back end (nocking), but decent set of coilovers is on a par with m3 prices. Brakes are also a bit weak out the box comparatively.

Running costs and MPG scoob will be alot better than M3 unless your thrashing nuts of the scoob all day everyday.

As far as which i would have, thats a tough one, i love them both because they are different cars.

If you want ***** out backroad performance then scoob with some tune.
If you want decent performance with refinement then M3.
Old 08 August 2014, 08:42 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

p.s. if you want total brass ***** hardcore performance then classic type ra is the one to go for, but dont even expect electric windows (they weigh too much) hahahah
Old 08 August 2014, 10:03 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, but you've just sold a pretty impressive 2.5, a standard sti would be underwhelming for you, but I hear what your saying, for what it costs for remap etc you get a improved car.
A "standard" newage 2.0 STI isn't really that quick.
Nothing much happens until 4K, and if I remember correctly, it begins to run out of puff at around 5.5K
Old 08 August 2014, 10:12 AM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by urban
A "standard" newage 2.0 STI isn't really that quick.
Nothing much happens until 4K, and if I remember correctly, it begins to run out of puff at around 5.5K
I used to think my blob wrx was o.k, never mind the sti, but I suppose its what ever your used to. Me and my wrx used to give m3's a hard time, not in a straight line but when the going got twisty, the fact that I am the best driver in the world may of had something to do with it though.
Old 08 August 2014, 10:41 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A WRX was OK in 1999/2000, and the STI was OK in 2002.
Old 08 August 2014, 10:50 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

To the OP.... to be honest mate I think any STI won't be that much of a difference over your M3 to make the change worth it.

Bear in mind you have posted your question on Scoobynet... you are hardly going to get a fair balanced answer to your question just as you wouldn't expect to asking the question the other way round on M3cutter for instance.

PS Nice M3

Last edited by f1_fan; 08 August 2014 at 01:49 PM.
Old 08 August 2014, 11:09 AM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Go test drive an Sti from your local Subaru dealer. Its the only way to know the difference and see if you like the way a turbo car drives and delivers the power. They are addictive tho!
Old 08 August 2014, 11:46 AM
Reshard1977
Scooby Regular

Thats the problem, I could buy a M3 and pretty much leave it alone, as there is no point tuning a N/A engine as you really not going to get much bhp from it unless spending extreme amounts of money turbocharging/supercharging!! So I always in my mind think I could be happy with a fast BMW/Audi and not spend money on modding them.

Where as the Impreza I always find myself spending and messing with them, as standard there really not that great, have a remap and a exhaust and it turns into a different car, but unfortunatly it never just stops with a map and exhaust, you find yourself trauling the "For Sale" ads on here looking for billet turbo's and coilovers and wheels etc, gets expensive and obsessive!!!
Hahaha, never a truer word said! I had a BMW E46 (not an M3 though) and never spent a penny modding!

With the Scooby, I'm on here everyday looking at parts!!
Old 08 August 2014, 01:42 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Winter driving/snow/wet/damp = Scoob.
Winter driving/snow/wet/damp = Not an M3.

Simples.
Old 08 August 2014, 02:18 PM
south_scoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815
Winter driving/snow/wet/damp = Scoob.
Winter driving/snow/wet/damp = Not an M3.

Simples.
i was going to say that. in any other conditions except a bone dry road its will be bye bye m3.

personaly id rather a m3 though only a m3 though 330s and less are woefull
Old 08 August 2014, 02:25 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Old 08 August 2014, 02:47 PM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

Those winter tyres may not be enough, we all know how bad it gets in the uk.
Old 08 August 2014, 03:56 PM
Doobs Scoob
Scooby Regular

Got both an e36 m3 and a scooby. The M3 doesn't even come close to the scooby for power. The m3 is lazy, ratios are pretty long in the box, the scoob runs through the gears a lot quicker. (the m3 is a drift car though).

Its hard to compare the power exactly as its completely a different feel.

Fuel wise depends how far you mod the scoob. Standard i doubt there's not a lot in it.

If you are looking for one not to mess with then getting one with the PPP will be a plus, however if you plan on modding it then may aswell look for one thats already got Alcatek or equivalent or standard and do it all yourself.

Forging an engine consists of pistons, rods, bolts, essentially a complete rebuild. Factor in around £3.5k for that + extras for anything else you would want to do at the same time.

On a side note, never seen an m3 in that colour, very very nice and individual.

Best bit of advice I can give is to go out in a few of various power levels and determine exactly what you want from it.

Quick Reply: M3 owner with questions for you scooby lot!