Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Panelling out classic boot? Anyone done this?

Search this Thread

Old 30 June 2014, 09:36 PM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Panelling out classic boot? Anyone done this?

Occasionally I wish to take a few tool boxes out with me in the boot of my classic. The problem is that they will probably hit the rear qtr panels when cornering. Has anyone panelled out the boot al la van style?

If so, are there any pictures anywhere?

Cheers,

Wayne.
Old 01 July 2014, 04:13 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Why don't you just use bungee hooks or you could get a piece of MDF place your boot mat on it then draw round it and cut it to shape of the boot floor. After you've done that buy a length of baton ie 1x2 or 2x3 stick your tool boxes in the boot and screw the baton to the mdf in the shape of your boxes so as to make a little enclosure that your boxes fit in and won't slide across the boot floor.

Easier, cheaper, removable and no holes need to be drilled in the car and you'll be able to get at the spare wheel.

You might have to have it in 2 halves to get it in but it shouldn't move if have the weight of the tool boxes on it.

I used to do this in my works vehicles,( the ones that I was keeping for a while.) You can also use a couple of plastic boxes to pad the boot out, I just kept things like hard hat, steelies and high vis/ water proofs, first aid kit etc that don't weigh much but just stop everything else in the boot sliding around.
Old 01 July 2014, 07:12 PM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

Ditch, yeah, I have been coming to the same conclusion and think your idea may be a winner, especially as I have some marine ply in the garage!

I seem to have 4 plastic nuts already in the boot floor that the 2 halves of board could be screwed to.

I will post some pics of the work when I get it sorted

Wayne.
Old 02 July 2014, 08:10 AM
Rescue Dude
Scooby Regular

I have a big plastic box in the boot of my car for all the bits of crap I carry round. (Motorsport marshalling gear/spare fluids etc). To stop that sliding around I bought a large rubber mat from B&Q and cut it to shape. Then I bungee the box.

The mat grips the box really well and the bungee is for when I get a bit carried away.