Ungrateful stupid car!

Search this Thread

Old 30 June 2014, 04:52 PM
markb_s1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ungrateful stupid car!

HI folks,

The latest part of my ongoing tale of woe trying to get my classic back on the road:

on Saturday, having sorted my split hose, and now with the repaired front end, I decided to get the car over to my dad's in croydon, where i had arranged for a mate fo mine to come and fit a new tyre i need for the MOT... only a 10 mile drive or thereabouts... no problem... WRONG!!!!! OH SO SO WRONG!!!!

after a couple of miles, i found that the clutch pedal wasn't fully returning to the top and was stopping halfway up following gearchanges. Went another couple of miles like this, flicking the pedal back to the top with my foot when it happened. Concerned, but not fatal at this point!

Then.. once i was half way round the south circular and the clutch pedal just went straight to the floor and stayed there. if i pull it back up it stays up, but as soon as i touched it with my foot, straight back to the floor again and staying there!

Had to drive the rest of the way with no clutch, and using the starter motor to bump the car back to life everytime i stopped at some lights or in traffic. Not happy at all! Still got running a top mount, so no way i could get at the spring to see if it was loose, missing, or broken!

I had a similar issue when i refitted my engine the time before last, but it sorted itself out after a bit of fissling with the return spring on top of the gearbox.

The motor is now languising on my old man's drive, and he won't be happy if it's there for long, so i was hoping for some suggestions as to the cause fo the problem?

Currently i'm hoping just a broken/missing/detached spring, but am not sure what else it could be?

clutch gone completely?
centre of clutchplate snapped leaving me with the fork just pushing the centre of the plate back and forth but the friction material not moving?

HEEEELP!
Old 30 June 2014, 05:47 PM
danny-h
Scooby Newbie

First post from a non Scooby owner but I had that same sort of thing happen to my pulsar which turned out to be slave cylinder seals gone.
Old 30 June 2014, 06:09 PM
jacob360
Scooby Regular

agree on the above, slave or master cylinder
Old 30 June 2014, 06:38 PM
giz1978
Scooby Regular

release bearing is un clipped on the pressure plate housing, the clutch pedal needs adjusting, cheap clutch,slave cylinder stuck, fliud leak or needs topping up folk bent
the folk pin not postioned correctly and so on. it will be easy to spot then the tmic is removed
Old 30 June 2014, 09:37 PM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by danny-h
First post from a non Scooby owner but I had that same sort of thing happen to my pulsar which turned out to be slave cylinder seals gone.
Good thinking Batman.

p.s nice to meet you, what turbo charged monster do you have.

Last edited by Carnut; 30 June 2014 at 09:39 PM.
Old 30 June 2014, 11:30 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check the bleed nipple is not loose/leaking.
Old 30 June 2014, 11:39 PM
CutMasterT
Scooby Regular

same thing happened to my old mk1 Leon FR, on that there is a metal box which the clutch pedal piston thing moves in, and the welding around the bracket became weak and eventually broke leaving me stranded on the Dartford crossing...which was nice
Old 01 July 2014, 08:36 AM
markb_s1
Scooby Regular

Thanks everyone.
Doesn't sound too fatal then, hopefully!
Will whip the intercooler off this weekend and see what the deal is.

ceers,

MArk.
Old 01 July 2014, 08:54 AM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by giz1978
release bearing is un clipped on the pressure plate housing, the clutch pedal needs adjusting, cheap clutch,slave cylinder stuck, fluid leak or needs topping up folk bent
the folk pin not positioned correctly and so on. it will be easy to spot then the tmic is removed
This is the best post above.

The clutch release bearing is a PULL type, that clicks into the pressure plate, and there is a locking ring the clutch side of the pressure plate that clicks into the groove on the thrust bearing as its pushed into the clutch, this is held in place by a VERY fragile metal cage. This ring can become unclipped, if it wasn't sat properly, or was old so not holding too tightly.

The slave cylinder is external, and is located under the gearbox to bulkhead torque mount. Hopefully it will be a case of undoing the two bolts and pushing the lever towards the rear of the car to click it back into place (then replacing the slave).

BUT what happened to mine recently was that the clip on the inside of the clutch which receives the thrust bearing had a damaged cage from trouble during the last engine install. The cage had popped off the clutch, so as soon as you clicked the thrust bearing in place it just popped off.

Fixing this is a PITA, hopefully it clicks back into place, otherwise you have to split the box from the engine, and take the clutch off. Then fit a new thrust bearing (when engine not mated to the box), fit engine, fit clutch lever and pin and then you should be away.

And if you want an ungrateful Impreza, I see yours and raise you mine!! Damn bloody heap of Japanese rubbish, well atleast it keeps me busy lol.

Last edited by Jimbob; 01 July 2014 at 08:57 AM.
Old 01 July 2014, 10:35 AM
markb_s1
Scooby Regular

I remember that soppy little cage thing. could really do without have to take the engine again... especially as it's facing the wrong way on my old man's drive at the moment!
Why am i suddenly having nightmares abotu removing front driveshafts? Might just pay someone to save myself the hassle if it's not an easy quick fix.

Thanks for all the advice. I'm now hoping it's the slave clinder rather than somethign more serious!
Old 01 July 2014, 10:36 AM
markb_s1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jimbob
pushing the lever towards the rear of the car to click it back into place (then replacing the slave).
I also hope you mean refitting the slave cylinder, not replacing?
Old 01 July 2014, 10:41 AM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markb_s1
I also hope you mean refitting the slave cylinder, not replacing?
Yeah, but if it doesn't go in properly you may need a new thrust bearing.
Old 01 July 2014, 11:12 AM
Bristol98
Scooby Regular

Check the master to slave cylinder hose as well, my old scoob was leaking form there and had the same symptoms.
Old 01 July 2014, 01:35 PM
markb_s1
Scooby Regular

Cool. thanks folks. I wouldn't be surprised if the bit that's failed is hose/cylinder related... after all, it's a 21 year old car now, and I suspect it's still the original parts on there!
Old 08 July 2014, 09:53 AM
markb_s1
Scooby Regular

Good news! (relatively speaking)
investigations reveal it's the short hose just above the slave cylinder... it's split and sprayed clutch fluid all over the bulkhead.

Next question.... where can i get a new one from?
would put a photo up by my blackberry died this morning so am waitign for my replacement...
Old 08 July 2014, 03:35 PM
markb_s1
Scooby Regular

now with photos...

Old 09 July 2014, 12:13 AM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Nice and simple repair, take it to a local hydraulic shop and they should be able to make you a braided one, or just get one from a Subaru dealer.
Old 09 July 2014, 08:58 AM
markb_s1
Scooby Regular

cool. thanks.