Sponsored by:

Classic Exhaust Help

Search this Thread

Old 28 June 2014, 09:00 PM
alsmithy
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Classic Exhaust Help

Hi I have recently just bought my first classic and it has come with a magnex 2.5 inch non resonated decat pipe with a 3inch split down pipe which has a reduces down to 2.5 inch just before the flange, the back box is a magnex with a nasty rectangular tailpipe, I have two questions.*

1 When the car is ticking over and upto 1500rpm it sounds like there is a very tinny sound from the exhaust almost like a blow, which seems to coming from around the area were the downpipe bolts to the turbo, is that anything to do with the split downpipe? Would it be possible that the dividing plate has is not sealing off the two sections allowing the gas to go down the small pipe? From what I can see the small pipe is around 30mm diameter and around 300mm long were it re enters the main downpipe, I have looked at loads of info on this forum and from around the Internet and there does not seem to be any advantage in a split or bellmouth downpipes, unless you are running 400bhp plus, is this the case?

My second question is I want to change the rear silencer, to something that looks beter and is not to loud as it's my daily driver, and I dont want the neighbours moaning at me! I have been looking at the prodrive silencer as somebody told me that they were quite quiet again is that the case? Also will a exhaust from a newage fit a classic?

Im open to any suggestions on what you guys think, regarding the downpipe and rear silencer.

Thanks Alan