New member down south

Search this Thread

Old 03 May 2014, 01:39 PM
::RiL::
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member down south

Hi everyone,

Just registered and thought i would pop in and say Hi .

Quick intro on me, I live down south in sunny Dorset and have always been involved in cars and the Jap scene until a couple of years ago with the arrival of my daughter which prompted me to sell my much loved Toyota MR2 Turbo for something a bit more practical. With things kind of calming down at work and I'm not driving up and down the country anymore and my little girl now not so little i am now in a position to get the car i have always had a soft spot for. Currently running around in a facelift Toyota Corolla T Sport which I'm using a stop gap (this is for sale by the way) until i find the right WRX, I'm looking to get a low mileage '05 WRX PPP preferably a WRX300 in blue that hasn't been modified.

Plans for the car mods wise I'm looking for around the ppp power so a safe 270, I'm going to tweak the body so it becomes an STI lookalike as i do prefer the more aggressive look, will look to change the back box to get a nice exhaust note but dont want anything that will annoy the neighbours or be too intrusive when cruising but need the burble. engine wise i think the only mods i will do other than ppp or equivalent is dress the engine bay.

the car needs to be an everyday driver that is suitable to drive my 3 year old around in, something that looks and sounds awesome and be fun, so not looking for a monster build with unusable power, so far everyone i have spoken too reckons a WRX over the STI will give me this without too much compromise.

i've got a tonne of questions already so will make good use of the search bar but if there are any members down south let me know as it would be great to be able to pick someones brains that are local that i could also go out for a spin with and maybe even help me look at some candidate cars when i find them.

anyway thats enough rambling by myself, will post up some pics when i get the car (hopefully over the next few weeks), in the mean time looking forward to meeting some of you on the boards and at some point in person.

Tony
Old 03 May 2014, 03:54 PM
Athame1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ::RiL::
Hi everyone,

Plans for the car mods wise I'm looking for around the ppp power so a safe 270, I'm going to tweak the body so it becomes an STI lookalike as i do prefer the more aggressive look, will look to change the back box to get a nice exhaust note but dont want anything that will annoy the neighbours or be too intrusive when cruising but need the burble. engine wise i think the only mods i will do other than ppp or equivalent is dress the engine bay.

Tony
Hi, just based on the above imho get a standard sti ( got to be cheaper )
Old 03 May 2014, 04:43 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speak to the guys at Triton Motor Services on Hurn airport (01202 571564)

Been keeping my Imprezas going for about 14 years and they also have a mapper who works from there.
Old 03 May 2014, 06:48 PM
Scooby Newbie

Thanks guys, have heard of triton before, they are by my old office so will swing by when I get the car.

Have looked at STI's but can't get one with low enough miles on an 05 in my budget (5-7k), I also heard that STI's ran 300bhp stock and the suspension was a lot harder so figured this might not be as practical for a daily driver with a child?
Old 03 May 2014, 06:58 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Triton are now next to the café on the airport in a big white tent.

Yeah the STI is more powerful and suspension is harder.

I do know a few people who've bought a WRX picked up some second hand STI parts and fitted them and their happy with what they've got.
Old 03 May 2014, 10:03 PM
Athame1
Scooby Regular

Test drive both, see what you think

standard sti is 305 ps which is 265 hp (I think)

your child wont notice ride quality, and I agree with getting the one you want

what mileage you thinking?

Last edited by Athame1; 03 May 2014 at 10:12 PM.
Old 04 May 2014, 10:28 AM
Scooby Newbie

Really everything I had read said the sti was around 300bhp?

Looking for as low milage as I can afford, have just missed out on a PPP wrx for 6k that only had 50k on it.

All the sti's in my price range are all 80k+ and only on 04plates
Old 04 May 2014, 11:11 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

305ps is 300bhp.

Last edited by myblackwrx; 04 May 2014 at 11:13 AM.
Old 04 May 2014, 02:54 PM
Athame1
Scooby Regular

Sorry miss read my ppp info standard 05 sti uk 265ps with ppp 305ps
Old 04 May 2014, 05:29 PM
Shaunby 300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ::RiL::
Hi everyone,

Just registered and thought i would pop in and say Hi .

I'm looking to get a low mileage '05 WRX PPP preferably a WRX300 in blue that hasn't been modified.

Tony
Can definitely recommend a WRX300 if you can find one , same power as an sti 261 bhp, same interior, wheels ect, only need the big spoiler for the full sti look, not a big spoiler fan personally.
Has the wrx suspension so a good comfortable everyday car.
Oh and not sure why but insurance (for me anyway) came out cheaper than a standard wrx?
Old 28 June 2014, 03:02 PM
Scooby Newbie

so i managed to get my car last month and so far really happy with her, picked up an 05 WRX with 54K on the clock and only 2 owners for a little over £5K.

very clean and straight honest car, have already had Veysport do a 60K service and cam belt so now the modding can commence

the car came with a Cobra sport back box which sounds great, though it is an oval tip which i haven't seen on a scoob before.

only thing that needs sorting on the car is a new rear shock as its knocking its **** off on the rear and sort tracking out and some fresh boots.

plans for the car are as my original plan really though might not do it all at once, wish list is as follows:
- Pro Sport gauges (boost, Oil Pres and Oil Temp), guide tempted with the 60mm touch / halo edition
- Lowering Springs, have been recommended to go with either Tein or Eibach as these are progressive and pretty much feel the same as stock?
- Slight tint on the windows
- Better head unit / ICE in general
- De-tango the headlights
- STI Spoiler
- Mud flaps
- Fog Covers
- Front and rear splitter
- Sports Cat, Mid Pipe, Fuel Pump and a Remap
- and I know its perceived as "chavy" but really tempted to put a Bailey DV on too as i have heard these do not cause running issues like the HKS

here are a couple of piccys of the car, when i first picked her up a couple randomly from the other night in the woods

Tony
Old 28 June 2014, 03:47 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

I dont know where you got the idea that a bailey dump valve wont cause issues and the HKS will...They all will cause the same problems.

Unless you go for a splitter valve
Old 28 June 2014, 05:10 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Don't bother with the dump valve....stick your head out the window and go ptoooossshhh really loudly....has the same effect people will turn and look at you

See if you can find Newage Prodrive springs (Eibach make them but to the specs Prodrive wanted).

Speak to Duncan Graham as he is based in Dorset (he's on Facebook,Twitter or speak to Triton Motor services on Hurn Airport) and posts on here (racedynamix) for the remap and advice.
Old 28 June 2014, 09:37 PM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

Good aren't they. + no dv, I am partial to a bit of a ptooosshhh my self now and again but wouldn't do it to one of my cars....again.

Last edited by Carnut; 28 June 2014 at 09:39 PM.