Project question

Search this Thread

Old 27 June 2014, 07:09 PM
malenki22
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Project question

Good evening everyone

I have a ambitious plan, looking to purchase used runner or none runner Subaru Impreza around P reg, I know old school but I just love them, the plan is to strip and complete rebuild body/interior/engine, I would like to hand up with sti spec or maybe bit different. Always had a soft spot on 22B but out of my price range, at the moment looking to buy any scooby as longest is saloon, I thinking around 10k mark for rebuild but with very low purchase price up to 1K but like I said not bother about the condition, this is my dream car and I can only achieve with personal rebuild if you know what I mean, I'm good with spanners plus have someone for engine work plus body work so would not be on my own, but as usual family commitment and work this will be long progress at the moment looking around 1-2 years to complete everything, not sure what to get from starting point so I would like your advise on this matter and I'm sure there would be long topic in future about parts ect. for rebuild. Main concerns I have parts interchange between models so keep firing ideas, car eventual will hand blue or black and maybe as track car not sure if I will be using on road but somewhere in my head is still staying I like to use over weekend out of track but this will be decided once near complete rebuild.

I hope you can help me with my plan.

Any ideas or question just keep firing.

Thanks

Ade
Old 27 June 2014, 08:16 PM
gazney101
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You could try one of the breakers on hear for a bare shell and go from there.
A two door would be nice with all the running gear from a hawk sti
Old 27 June 2014, 08:30 PM
south_scoob
Scooby Regular

why not buy the best mint car you can? i know next to nothing about scoobys but couldnt you get a mint limited edition like a 22b rb5 or p1 and go from there. or do you realy want to buy a shed and spend 10 grand restoring it?
Old 27 June 2014, 08:45 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

£10k would get you a very good example of a classic!!!

Here are some examples!!
Type Ra with a forged engine, 6 speed box and big brakes £9k
http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...xperiment=true

WRX version 6 in gunmetal grey with 6 speed gearbox, AP 6 pot brakes for £7k!!
http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...xperiment=true

Cant see the point in spending loads of cash on a bare shell project as highly modded classics are around your £10k budget, and would probably cost you double your budget to get it to the same spec as those cars above
Old 27 June 2014, 09:00 PM
Irontusk86
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Think I sit on the fence with this as it's nice to have a new shiny car with all the bells and whistles but some people can't afford to chuck that much money at something straight off, plus building from scratch or from a shed upto something to be proud of is appealing too.

And how of course how much spare time and confidence you have to reach your target!

It would be nice to have both to play with tbh! Which I'm sure some of you lucky ones do and I'm green with jealous envy
Old 28 June 2014, 07:20 AM
malenki22
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for all your reply, this project is not about going out and spending 10k on SOMEONEs car, the ones you linked nice examples but not what I want, like Irontusk86 said is something to be proud of when you reach your target, I love working on cars and most of my spare time that's after family time as my daughter always comes first I work on cars, I want to learn body work, never touched boxer type engine so would be nice to strip it and rebuild it, there is no point for me going out there and buy "a car" I just will not get the enjoyment out of it, this maybe is not for everyone but works for me.

I think I would have to go for non runner or something with broken engine, so I can start with most of the parts on car, because if I go for bare shell there would be nothing to start of with, if you have electricals/diffs/gearbox/ front and rear axles you can start striping down and restoring, I need to do more reading about engine's what comes with what and what you can get out of them.
Old 28 June 2014, 07:46 AM
malenki22
Scooby Newbie

something like this would do to start of with

http://www.copart.co.uk/c2/homeSearc...SEARCH_RESULTS
Old 28 June 2014, 07:52 AM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Received 264 Likes on 172 Posts

Built is always better than brought ,,,only problem with buying a built car is if its any good its prob already known and everyone will say " so and so built that " and it will never feel like yours ,, you might spend more building one but then its your car

Iv got a built scoob and everyone knows it as mine and I like it that way
Old 28 June 2014, 09:55 AM
*matthewturb2000*
Scooby Regular

your mad 2.5k for a cat c? scrap that read it wrong, whats the pav 2500? is that what the insurance paid out?

Last edited by *matthewturb2000*; 28 June 2014 at 09:56 AM.
Old 28 June 2014, 10:10 AM
gazney101
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by *matthewturb2000*
your mad 2.5k for a cat c? scrap that read it wrong, whats the pav 2500? is that what the insurance paid out?
Pre accident value
Old 28 June 2014, 11:27 AM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

You got to be really committed with a project, ive tried it in the past with a STi Type R and juggling it with family commitments(young son at the time) and then spending a hour hear and there really can get frustrating, and the missus moaning that you spend more time with the car etc etc can cause arguments so lets hope you have a more understanding partner, so might be worth sitting down with her and being honest with your plans with how much its going to cost and how long it will take to build, because there will be times where you will feel like chucking in the towl.

What sort of spec you looking at, and plans to the car?? obviously you want a classic shape impreza, Have you thought about dropping a full newage blobeye/hawkeye JDM twin scroll STi running gear(engine/gearbox,brakes etc) into a classic shape impreza would make a good project!!

I do love a project, but I haven't got the patients or time to do one anymore, would rather buy one already done, especially as I change my car more time then i change my pants!!
Old 28 June 2014, 11:27 AM
spender(again)
Scooby Regular

creased roof!!!!
Old 28 June 2014, 03:59 PM
malenki22
Scooby Newbie

No plans at the moment what running gear ect. until I get something, I always like them been "classic" and original, as I said originally I have the time, I spoken to my wife and she knows what would be like for the next few years but believe it or not it was her idea, my main concerns about drooping different or newage gear if I need do any modification to chassis, as you can see I didn't think that far ahead yet lol, all this will come once I find the right car for the job.

I think I would like to hand up with STI model which has been completely rebuild including respray, time will tell if someone can suggest any upgrades that would make the car better.
Old 28 June 2014, 04:50 PM
scoobyman2007
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi mate I have my one I have been working on for a bit now you go with what. You won't mate and you will spend and spend and spend like me I have now got 99 percent of the parts I am looking for but just remember you need the tools for the job and that will cost you to mate
Old 28 June 2014, 09:51 PM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

To me it sounds like you want to restore a car rather than a build. I suppose if you was to do that then you could just replace with upgraded/different parts as you go along.
Old 29 June 2014, 07:18 AM
malenki22
Scooby Newbie

I think you right Chris J T is more of restoration with upgraded parts, well basically I like working on cars and done for the last 12 years so have plenty tools and good mechanical knowledge, I know someone who works in professional body shop also mate of mine has got mechanic garage so always can give me a hand.

I don't know why people keep saying you will need this and that is not worth it ect. but for me is to do with hobby and killing time plus you always learn something new. I don't want a car that I will just start and drive we all ready got 2 of them.
Old 29 June 2014, 12:01 PM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

All classics are good once restored, it just depends what your end goal is, ie track car or daily drive etc.