Who owns the car?

Search this Thread

Old 25 June 2014, 01:59 PM
LuckyWelshchap
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who owns the car?

Simple - and straight - question.

2 possible answers, the person who buys it or the Registered Keeper as per V5 ?
Old 25 June 2014, 02:00 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

the person who buys it

the v5c tells you that, V5C is "not proof of ownership"

Last edited by riiidaa; 25 June 2014 at 02:02 PM.
Old 25 June 2014, 02:00 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i thought you knew everything? is google broken?
Old 25 June 2014, 02:05 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

If it was purchased on finance then until the finance is paid off the finance company still own the car. That's why it's illegal to sell a car with outstanding finance. Your're effectively selling someone elses property!

Whoever stumps up the cash to pay the seller owns the car. Not always the registered keeper.
Old 25 June 2014, 02:59 PM
Lunchmoney
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing
If it was purchased on finance then until the finance is paid off the finance company still own the car. That's why it's illegal to sell a car with outstanding finance. Your're effectively selling someone elses property!
Depends on the T&Cs of the finance agreement. Some are loans secured on the car, but you would still own it, and the terms state that if you sell it you must pay back the outstanding finance immeditetly.
A Lease Hire is where you dont own the car until the term is up.
Old 25 June 2014, 03:08 PM
AndyBaker
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fat-thomas
That'll help no end
Old 25 June 2014, 03:29 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

I very nearly purchased a car with outstanding finance on it. Did a text check and another HPI check that came up with no issues, night before I was to swap cars and give the guy thousands of my hard earned cash I did an official HPI check on it which showed outstanding finance. Needless to say I pulled out of the deal as the owner wouldn't tell me how much was left.

The car was later sold to someone else who I contacted after I realised it had been sold. He had no idea but rang the finaice company who confirmed he was not the legal owner of his new car and was actually liable for the outstanding finance. He then had to go to court to try and prove to the finance company that he had paid sufficient money during purchase (trade in valuation of old car & cash put into deal) to justify that he should own the car. It was a lengthy process and the finance company eventually agreed to write off any debt & entitlement they had on the vehicle and sign over ownership to him (the registered keeper).

The **** who sold the car originally got away with a nice trade in car plus cash and never paid the finance back. He made some serious profit on that car!
Old 25 June 2014, 04:54 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

what a *******
Old 25 June 2014, 06:40 PM
Peter Pan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by riiidaa
the person who buys it

the v5c tells you that, V5C is "not proof of ownership"
This ^^^ It states it at the top of the V5, so if there's no finance owed on a car I would of thought whoevers name and address is on the receipt is the owner of the car?? But then you could argue that who's money was the car bought with??

Last edited by Peter Pan; 25 June 2014 at 06:48 PM.
Old 25 June 2014, 11:22 PM
LuckyWelshchap
Scooby Regular

Thought I'd allow a bit of time for debate etc.

Well, according to a recent Court judgement the Registered Keeper is the proper owner.

Here's the story:

Man buys car (has invoice in his name) but wife becomes the RK.
Car breaks down and is taken to main dealership for repairs under warranty (which was taken out in wife's name).

Unfortunately there's problems and the matter ends up in the small claims court, with husband claiming against the dealership. (he also dealt with them during the repair period etc.)
The dealership's solicitors claim that the appropriate person to claim was the wife, since her name's on the V5. He asserts not, since he, as the owner, has suffered loss. (He's a named driver on the policy). He provides the invoice as evidence and also a statement from his wife that they had an arrangement re. the car ie.he also has use of the car, pays major bills and that the car is his.

The court threw the claim out, primarily on the basis that the appropriate person to claim damages was the wife ie. the RK.

The reason I've posted this is to make people aware of this eye-opening judgement.
Apart from the obvious 'car's in the son's name' scenario in theory someone selling a car could be regarded as still the legal owner until VOSA actually register the new one.
Also of course be wary when you have to get work done or make a claim.

Most (99.9%?) of the time there won't be a problem but hopefully this twist, where in addition to the saying that possession is 9/10 of the law a court adds that being the RK is the other 10%, won't catch anyone out.

In instances such as this make sure that the RK appoints the owner as their agent. Then you are acting on their behalf. (Just make sure any claim is in their name).

Last edited by LuckyWelshchap; 25 June 2014 at 11:23 PM. Reason: tpyo
Old 26 June 2014, 12:07 AM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fat-thomas
Ha he read you like a book.
Old 26 June 2014, 12:41 AM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

So the warranty was taken out in her name, and this has nothing to do with anything other than that fact.
Old 26 June 2014, 12:42 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Lol
Old 26 June 2014, 12:58 AM
LuckyWelshchap
Scooby Regular

So the warranty was taken out in her name, and this has nothing to do with anything other than that fact.
Not just that, they used the fact that she was on the V5 as the RK and backed it up with the warranty being in her name.
Despite the husband (who had dealt with the whole matter) having the invoice to prove he was the owner the court still said that she should have made the claim.

The actual words of the Judgement were "The claimant by his own admission is not the registered keeper of the vehicle or owner of the warranty relied on to fund repairs to the vehicle. That being the case he has no right to claim". (That is verbatim).

In other words, despite being the actual owner, the person who would suffer as the result of, say, a devaluing of the car, loss of use, wasted VED etc. he was not entitled to claim.
Although in theory his wife can claim she never dealt with the garage/main dealer and he never dealt with them as her representative, so in effect she's never actually complained to them about 'her' car.

As I've said, if you do have circumstances like these ie. a different RK to owner be careful if things go wrong.
A reasonable concern is what if a warranty and V5 are in different names?
Old 26 June 2014, 01:07 AM
LuckyWelshchap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chris j t
Ha he read you like a book.

However the intention was to make people aware of this quirk, nothing else.
Old 26 June 2014, 01:34 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How about this one, TAX is due end of this month. If you renew online before the 30/6 you get 14 days grace period to show the old TAX disc, until the new one turns up.

So if you sell the car before the 30/6 to a trader, but aren't intending to renew the TAX, do you have to make it SORN until the car/V5 is transferred to the trader? I ask as transferring the V5 by the DVLA usually takes some time, so until its completed the liability for anything to do with the car, including renewing the TAX is still mine.
Old 26 June 2014, 01:37 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Personally i'd take a copy of the logbook and go online and declare it as sorn asap after I'd traded it in!
Old 26 June 2014, 01:49 PM
TallRider
Scooby Regular

Not just that, they used the fact that she was on the V5 as the RK and backed it up with the warranty being in her name.
Despite the husband (who had dealt with the whole matter) having the invoice to prove he was the owner the court still said that she should have made the claim.

The actual words of the Judgement were "The claimant by his own admission is not the registered keeper of the vehicle or owner of the warranty relied on to fund repairs to the vehicle. That being the case he has no right to claim". (That is verbatim).

In other words, despite being the actual owner, the person who would suffer as the result of, say, a devaluing of the car, loss of use, wasted VED etc. he was not entitled to claim.
Although in theory his wife can claim she never dealt with the garage/main dealer and he never dealt with them as her representative, so in effect she's never actually complained to them about 'her' car.

As I've said, if you do have circumstances like these ie. a different RK to owner be careful if things go wrong.
A reasonable concern is what if a warranty and V5 are in different names?
Surely this is just down to the warranty? A warranty is the contractual relationship, between Wife and Garage. The husband is not part of this contract and hence not entitled to claim under it. There's nothing new there.
Old 26 June 2014, 01:50 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Personally i'd take a copy of the logbook and go online and declare it as sorn asap after I'd traded it in!
Exactly what i was thinking, looking at some google posts though as long as the DVLA register the V5 change of ownership it shouldn't be a problem as the automatic TAX fine letter goes out after 30days of it not being renewed.
Old 26 June 2014, 01:54 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TallRider
Surely this is just down to the warranty? A warranty is the contractual relationship, between Wife and Garage. The husband is not part of this contract and hence not entitled to claim under it. There's nothing new there.
uhuh, judge shouldn't have mentioned RK in his closing statement IMO, it's irrelevant.
Old 26 June 2014, 01:57 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bioforger
How about this one, TAX is due end of this month. If you renew online before the 30/6 you get 14 days grace period to show the old TAX disc, until the new one turns up.

So if you sell the car before the 30/6 to a trader, but aren't intending to renew the TAX, do you have to make it SORN until the car/V5 is transferred to the trader? I ask as transferring the V5 by the DVLA usually takes some time, so until its completed the liability for anything to do with the car, including renewing the TAX is still mine.
After 1st of Oct, this all changes?
http://www.theaa.com/newsroom/news-2...-transfer.html
Old 26 June 2014, 02:12 PM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

After 1st of Oct, this all changes?
http://www.theaa.com/newsroom/news-2...-transfer.html
That gives you something to think about when buying a car. There will be an extra cost involved when purchasing a car in a higher level of tax or if you currently don't have a taxed vehicle to exchange details with or a second car.
Old 26 June 2014, 02:28 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

mmm that sucks, good job i'm buying tomorrow then
Old 26 June 2014, 02:30 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Exactly what i was thinking, looking at some google posts though as long as the DVLA register the V5 change of ownership it shouldn't be a problem as the automatic TAX fine letter goes out after 30days of it not being renewed.
Was going to say that you'll have signed proof that you sold & transferred the car on the signed date, but as it's the seller that sends off the logbook & the new owner that retains the signed slip that won't be the case. All you will have is a photocopy of the signed logbook if you are able to get one and that may not be accepted as proof of sale. difficult one.

DVLA forgot to send me a re-tax reminder once and it got to 28 days past the end of the tax before I realised. I contacted the DVLA a little worried I was going to get fined but they said it was fine so long as I purchased tax before the month was out. Was easily sorted thankfully. They also said they are under no obligation to send reminders and should never be relied upon to remember to tax your car. Little swines!
Old 26 June 2014, 02:31 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

mmm that sucks, good job i'm buying tomorrow then
Chopping the subaru in then?
Old 26 June 2014, 02:40 PM
Lunchmoney
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LuckyWelshchap
Thought I'd allow a bit of time for debate etc.

Well, according to a recent Court judgement the Registered Keeper is the proper owner.

Here's the story:

Man buys car (has invoice in his name) but wife becomes the RK.
Car breaks down and is taken to main dealership for repairs under warranty (which was taken out in wife's name).

Unfortunately there's problems and the matter ends up in the small claims court, with husband claiming against the dealership. (he also dealt with them during the repair period etc.)
The dealership's solicitors claim that the appropriate person to claim was the wife, since her name's on the V5. He asserts not, since he, as the owner, has suffered loss. (He's a named driver on the policy). He provides the invoice as evidence and also a statement from his wife that they had an arrangement re. the car ie.he also has use of the car, pays major bills and that the car is his.

The court threw the claim out, primarily on the basis that the appropriate person to claim damages was the wife ie. the RK.

The reason I've posted this is to make people aware of this eye-opening judgement.
Apart from the obvious 'car's in the son's name' scenario in theory someone selling a car could be regarded as still the legal owner until VOSA actually register the new one.
Also of course be wary when you have to get work done or make a claim.

Most (99.9%?) of the time there won't be a problem but hopefully this twist, where in addition to the saying that possession is 9/10 of the law a court adds that being the RK is the other 10%, won't catch anyone out.

In instances such as this make sure that the RK appoints the owner as their agent. Then you are acting on their behalf. (Just make sure any claim is in their name).
That sounds like an interesting case. Do you have a link to it?
Old 26 June 2014, 02:46 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Was going to say that you'll have signed proof that you sold & transferred the car on the signed date, but as it's the seller that sends off the logbook & the new owner that retains the signed slip that won't be the case. All you will have is a photocopy of the signed logbook if you are able to get one and that may not be accepted as proof of sale. difficult one.
The buyer/trader in this case sends off the yellow (signed by me and them) slip i keep the rest of the logbook, i think

Yep chopped it in for the new Sti

Last edited by bioforger; 26 June 2014 at 02:51 PM.
Old 26 June 2014, 03:03 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Ooh lovely job!
Old 26 June 2014, 03:23 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

yep excited about it

nope, i was wrong its the other way round, i send off the yellow bit the trader keeps the rest of the log book, so yea a photocopy at least is needed.
Old 27 June 2014, 12:49 AM
LuckyWelshchap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TallRider
It was a third-party warranty, not one given as part of the sale.
The car needed repairs under that, not the warranty period after the sale.
The court case was nothing to do with warranty, that company did its job well.
The car was not repaired at the original dealers either.

An example is this:
Buy a car from a trader in, say, the Midlands. You live in, say, Somerset.
Car runs ok, warranty period expires. Purchase warranty from a specialist company.
Car breaks down, take it to a local main dealer. Warranty company ok the work.
Unfortunately the main dealer's approach is poor, leaving a number of issues.

The court said that the person who bought the car (who we would call 'the owner') couldn't claim because the RK should, and used 'ownership' of the warranty to back it up.

A very dodgy area.
This possibly means that if someone buys a car for eg. their son or daughter and naturally make them the RK the warranty - or at least any court claim resulting from it - could be invalid.

As I've said though, it's unusual circumstances, just be careful if they fit you.

Quick Reply: Who owns the car?