Sponsored by:

WRX PPP or STI

Search this Thread

Old 29 May 2002, 08:01 PM
MarkWRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Apolgies if this has been done before....

I have a WRX with PPP (UK300) and am wondering if upgrading to an STi is that much of a leap for the money it would cost.

The performance difference on paper is only 19bhp and 9 lb ft less torque. Also due to its extra weight, the STi is only 2 bhp/ton more that the WRX/PPP, 180 vs 178.

I know this is only on paper and the STi has lots of extras like the brembos, suretrac, bigger intercooler etc but I would be interested to hear from anyone who has made the switch as to what their thoughts are.

I am happy with the handling of my car (has prodrive springs plus geom setup) but would like more power and possibly better brakes.

A dealer has offered me £21k to trade to an STi, but that still means I have to find £5k and Im not convinced that it is worthwhile. I know the answer is to drive one but I havent got round to it yet and Im worried I might like it too much.

Also, I think I may be better off de-catting mine and waiting to see what happens with the MY03/04.

I know a PPP is forthcoming for the STi but I would most likely have to go for the std car for a while.

Thanks

Mark
Old 29 May 2002, 08:14 PM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

I reckon you've already worked it out for yourself -
spend more on what you've got and are actually 95% happy with, or spend £5k+ to go for the Sti to get the extra 5% (maybe)
Old 29 May 2002, 08:34 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For £5k you could buy a VF30, FMIC, Link ECU and big brakes.
Old 29 May 2002, 08:56 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

Not tried a WRX PPP, but I went from a MY01 (Leda suspension, AP 6 pots, full decat, 18's and S03's) to a standard STi7, and there is no comparison - the STi is leagues ahead. As for the small power/torque differential, the STi 6 speed box uses the power/torque *very* efficiently - on our daily cross country route, for the same input, the STi is 5-15mph faster at any given point......

It is a totally different animal to drive, some do not like it, but the more effort you put into it the more you get out as it has hidden depths the WRX does not have.

Go and have a decent test drive in one
Old 29 May 2002, 09:59 PM
zilch
Scooby Regular

Mark

I have a UK300 with the PPP, and test drove the STI7 about 8 weeks ago. The STI is an alround better package in terms of response from the low end of the range, steering and general setup, you will notice the difference in general driving terms

At the time i thought the STI was not worth the extra 5.5 K i would have to fork out against a trade in on a motor I only had 6 months, and with the potential for a new nose job this year on the Impreza, it may be worth waiting a bit longer.

(edited because I missed your first point, doh !!!!

Cheers

Jim

[Edited by zilch - 5/29/2002 10:01:17 PM]
Old 30 May 2002, 10:02 AM
Stevie
Scooby Regular

Agree with Dave TS. I had a modified WRX and the standard STi7 I have now is FAR better at everything.

I hated my WRX. Had a modified UK 300 as courtesy car at 1000 mile service and had totally forgotten how poor the standarfd car is compared to STi.
Old 30 May 2002, 10:37 AM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Have to disagree with this "100% better" stuff. They seemed very similar to me when i test drove an STI7. Didnt really notice the handling - but ive got eibachs so maybe that was it. The six speed box is nice - brakes are better as well - but £5k+ id need would make my WRX a monster......

Certainly not trading in yet until i test a PPP'd STI - and then im gonna wait 6 months and see if the "new shape" that the press believe is coming along is any good.

Bottom line is - im not going to need to go 10-15mph quicker around every corner as i go as quick as i want to - so exercise a bit of "reality" thinking - will you need that extra % and can your pocket afford it???

To think Dave T-S was saying that he didnt need a 6 speed a while ago....... how fashion changes!!!!!!

Jza
Old 30 May 2002, 11:38 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Well I've driven an MY01 WRX + PPP + Full Decat back to back with a 200 mile old STi and there is just no comparison. I don't know why but the STi just feels a lot faster, stops better and handles better. All it needs is some springs and some proper tyres and it is a fantastic machine....

I would deffo go for it (after all, the more common the STi's get, the faster I can see the UK300 dropping in value (bloody IM )).

Obviously all just IMHO

Matt
Old 30 May 2002, 01:12 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Jza

You are totally correct - I did indeed post on this BBS that I thought a well sorted WRX would be as good as or better than the STi7 and the 6 speed box was unnecessary....of course, I said this before I had driven one! - I was wrong

Naturally my comments are IMHO as always - the STi hits my spot, it won't for some people
Old 30 May 2002, 01:16 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

PS - and as for cost, the WRX stood me in at £5k MORE than the STi, and wasn't better (IMHO).

Spend £4k on the STi (PPP, 18's, springs) and it will still stand me in at less than the WRX, and widen the gap even more
Old 30 May 2002, 01:36 PM
AliWrx
Scooby Regular

Wait for the face lift, or at least until the STI PPP is ready. I have been driven around prodrives testing track in a still under development STI PPP, and can confirm that if it is realeased as it was when i went out in it it will be awesome. Quicker than my previous P1 thats for sure.

Also bear in mind that if a facelift STI comes out as the press predict, the prices on the second hand STI's will drop quicker than a ****** knickers, just like they have on the P1.

Ali

Old 30 May 2002, 01:42 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

I still see dealers advertising P1's at 27k! so i dont think that the price of the STI7 will drop, infact it could be a benefit if subaru mess up again and people want the older version of the 7 But the STI7 is a MUCH better out of the box package than a WRX with decat and PPP.

Tony
Old 30 May 2002, 03:31 PM
AliWrx
Scooby Regular

Advertising at £27k and getting someone to pay that for it is another thing.

When i traded mine in January they had it up for £26k, then next month £25k, then £24k until someone bought it for around £22.5k and it was in A1 condition.
Old 30 May 2002, 07:15 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Wink

Dave T-S

Can I have your Sti7 when you get the new facelift/STi8 version?

F
Old 30 May 2002, 08:31 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Of course M8 - £27,495 to you
Old 30 May 2002, 10:44 PM
MarkWRX
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the replies, lots of different opinions .

Ive no doubt the STi is a better car, but not sure if its £5k better for me at the moment.

Interesting to hear that the power delivery is better in the STi as several articles ive read say that it is a bit dead low down and then manic from 4k upwards.

I think Ill hang on for 12-18 months and see what happens with the PPP and possible STi8 facelift. I think I would like Silver next time.

I think Ill probably change my mind again tommmorow though