Sponsored by:

Anyone ever getting a Subaru?

Search this Thread

Old 21 April 2014, 08:57 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone ever getting a Subaru?

The recent release of the details of the STI look very interesting but I can't help but feel the brand has had it's day in the UK.

My wife learned to drive in a Turbo wagon, I've nearly bought both an Impreza and a Forester but never quite pressed the button. I can't really see myself buying one.

Has the brand had it's day? I really hope not but I can't help but feel they were too late to the diesel party, just drink too much and just aren't low enough on emissions.

Is there any light at the end of the tunnel? I hope so.
Old 21 April 2014, 09:23 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They defiantly appear to have had their day judging by all the comments I've read in SN General and comments on PH. Infact, there have been a few very recent and interesting articles on PH about the new WRX STI and the Impreza;

http://www.pistonheads.com/doc.asp?c=52&i=29819

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/defa...?storyId=29782

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/defa...?storyId=29783

As some of you may know, just 2 weeks ago I bought my first Impreza. I went from an Astra VXR to a UK 2000 turbo, MY99 and she really is a hoot to drive. More fun than my VXR (I don't like saying it because I spent a lot on my VXR and the Impreza was less than half the price), and the handling is in a different league. I can really see why the "classic" Imprezas were so good and why they had so much praise, even in todays years...

As someone has mentioned in their comment on PH, back 15 years ago in 1999 Subaru were making 280hp cars which did 0-60 in less than 5 seconds. Fast forward 15 years and the new model is only 300bhp. They should have made it 400bhp or something like that.

Last edited by LSherratt; 21 April 2014 at 09:29 PM.
Old 21 April 2014, 09:28 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

I'm banned from PH now...

I drove the inlaws turbo Wagon (N reg; they bought it new) and it was a hoot. And the specials have always appealed; P1, RB320, WR1 and so on.
Old 21 April 2014, 09:44 PM
bluenose172
Scooby Regular

I've sold my Spec C and have a new Leon Cupra on order. Never even considered a new Impreza. When you consider these VAG engines only cost ~£170 to tax, does 35-40mpg, peak torque comes in at 1750rpm, the engine in the Subaru looks positively ancient! I think Subaru have really dropped the ball by not moving with the times in terms of their power plant, shame!
Old 21 April 2014, 09:55 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my wagon turbo MY 2000
And will never part with it

But new STi yes like it but

3years warrenty
No good with the track record of the 2.5

Would have to be 5 years warrenty for me to consider
Old 22 April 2014, 08:45 AM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

I believe if IM had any sense and imported the wrx over here as well as the sti then they might see sales pick up a little, given that it is only around 35 to 40 bhp down on the sti, doesnt have the chocolate 2.5, has better economy and emissions and is on the sensible side for road tax, yet they only seem to offer the newer 2 litre turbo in the forester, just seems mad to me.

Even speaking to a sales manager at one dealer that have sold subaru (along with two or three other brands) for years, both he and I think that the forester engine even in the xv would make more sense but he said subaru wont do it cos they dont do things the sensible way.

The brz looked promising, and given all the positive reviews should do well, but another dealer just down the road from me told me that in nearly a year that they had been a subaru dealer they hadnt sold one brz,they get lots of calls about them, but he said they were mainly from youngsters that were dreamers.
Old 22 April 2014, 11:26 AM
XDevil666
Scooby Regular

maybe a thing of the past here in the UK, because of how strong other hot hatches have got.

But there still huge across the pond, take a look they still are in the rally scene.

http://www.subaru.com/enthusiasts/rally.html

The UK is all about those emissions these days, but i cant see the RS, Golf R etc pushing over the 350 - 400 bhp, so i think the playing field will level out again soon and if you do want to stand out and have people asking you about your car, a 2014 impreza would defo give you that.

Trending Topics

Old 22 April 2014, 02:07 PM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by XDevil666
maybe a thing of the past here in the UK, because of how strong other hot hatches have got.

But there still huge across the pond, take a look they still are in the rally scene.

http://www.subaru.com/enthusiasts/rally.html

The UK is all about those emissions these days, but i cant see the RS, Golf R etc pushing over the 350 - 400 bhp, so i think the playing field will level out again soon and if you do want to stand out and have people asking you about your car, a 2014 impreza would defo give you that.
Good to see someone being positive I think that its not Subarus fault its just the market isn't there any more.They used to compete with more powerful cars that cost more by saving money on the inside.But these days we love are tech to much and a 400bhp car that only has elec windows/mirrors/CD player just wouldn't do it.If you take into account the price of fuel and running costs the only people that could run them are the people that go out and buy a v8 m3.Who's going to go and spend 30k on a car that costs a arm and a leg to run that has less equipment than a kia (apart from me).I think that it can still compete just not in the market that it use to.Now it has to compete with cars in a similar price bracket which I think that as long as they have sorted out reliability it does a good job.Maybe in the future the market will come back in some way.
Old 22 April 2014, 03:40 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

High road tax prices and Subaru not giving a proper warranty on 2.5 reliability problems and the fact that 300bhp is not as fast anymore when Impreza STi's where running that sort of power 14 years ago, would be enough for me not to want a new shape Subaru!!!

£30k for a basic Impreza STi could get you a better spec hatchback or a fast diesel nowdays, Subaru have gone backwards not forwards, which is a shame as 10-15 years ago a Impreza would give a Supercar a run for its money on a B-road blast, now you got to worry about diesels rep cars pushing you on the famous twistys!!!
Old 22 April 2014, 04:35 PM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyboy1
High road tax prices and Subaru not giving a proper warranty on 2.5 reliability problems and the fact that 300bhp is not as fast anymore when Impreza STi's where running that sort of power 14 years ago, would be enough for me not to want a new shape Subaru!!!

£30k for a basic Impreza STi could get you a better spec hatchback or a fast diesel nowdays, Subaru have gone backwards not forwards, which is a shame as 10-15 years ago a Impreza would give a Supercar a run for its money on a B-road blast, now you got to worry about diesels rep cars pushing you on the famous twistys!!!
We don't know about reliability yet and as for the rest.Ford focus St list price 27,000 but can get for 25,500 but not as fast and 2wd/focus rs500 350bhp 2wd so 0-60 the same as sti but 50,000 yes 50,000/BMW 330d rwd about same performance but higher spec but automatic 42,000 14,000 more than sti/golf r s**t auto dsg but similar performance maybe a bit faster but 37,000 9,000 more than sti.The sti still has a manual box very good 4wd a boxer engine and I think looks a lot better than the rest and IS very good value for money. Its a good competitively priced car and IF its reliable a class winner.And no I don't work for Subaru just a Subaru fan

Last edited by Carnut; 22 April 2014 at 04:43 PM.
Old 22 April 2014, 06:04 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Ill have this when released 300bhp 300+lb/ft Vauxhall says wont cost more then £35k
http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/v...led-2014-02-26

Some more pics!!
http://wot.motortrend.com/1402_power...ee-quarter-02/

Last edited by scoobyboy1; 22 April 2014 at 06:05 PM.
Old 22 April 2014, 06:31 PM
daz1968
Scooby Regular

I still have my my05 jdm sti had it 4 years and can't find a replacement that's quicker and will average 20mpg or more, so have to keep it. I would like an rs4 but mpg puts me off at moment. No one now makes a quick 4wd car that's good on fuel so the sti has to stay
Old 22 April 2014, 06:58 PM
XDevil666
Scooby Regular

Ill have this when released 300bhp 300+lb/ft Vauxhall says wont cost more then £35k

Some more pics!!
That's all well And great but look at the choices in that price range

Worst part is I could wipe the smile off the guys face that just drove out after spending 30k in my "uncool impreza" and have plenty of change over

Let me ask you if you saw that VXR and a2014 Sti at the petrol station which car and driver would you look at?
Old 22 April 2014, 07:38 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by XDevil666
That's all well And great but look at the choices in that price range

Worst part is I could wipe the smile off the guys face that just drove out after spending 30k in my "uncool impreza" and have plenty of change over

Let me ask you if you saw that VXR and a2014 Sti at the petrol station which car and driver would you look at?
The young lad with the baseball cap and the banging tunes coming from the scooby!!!

To be honest ive never spent £30k on a car so cant really comment, But I guess a lot of people would buy a £30k Impreza and have it on finance/lease when new!!!
If I did have £30k to spend there are probably 100's of cars I would rather have/buy then a new STi, JDM Hawk spec c in white and have lots of change left over would be one of my choices.
Old 22 April 2014, 08:32 PM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

Some more pics!!
A VAUXHALL a VAUXHALL unreal you must be kidding or love toque steer.There is know way its going to be better than a mkII focus rs that has 5 seats not 2 and even if it comes with 5 its still a Vauxhall.Oh and 35,000 7,000 more than the STI 2 less doors/2wd not 4wd/and no faster 0-60.IF you think its going to be reliable then think again i have made the mistake of owning a few Vauxhalls and they have all been s**t.This seems a strange way of trying to tarnish the Subaru name but if you want to buddy go and by the VXR and i will even pay for your AA cover.
Old 22 April 2014, 08:57 PM
Shaunby 300
Scooby Regular

Subaru lost there way in 2006 with the 2.5 and have gone backwards in looks and performance since. Imo.
Old 22 April 2014, 10:27 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chris j t
A VAUXHALL a VAUXHALL unreal you must be kidding or love toque steer.There is know way its going to be better than a mkII focus rs that has 5 seats not 2 and even if it comes with 5 its still a Vauxhall.Oh and 35,000 7,000 more than the STI 2 less doors/2wd not 4wd/and no faster 0-60.IF you think its going to be reliable then think again i have made the mistake of owning a few Vauxhalls and they have all been s**t.This seems a strange way of trying to tarnish the Subaru name but if you want to buddy go and by the VXR and i will even pay for your AA cover.
Never owned a Vauxhall in my life, But have owned a Focus RS which used to torque steer, but you just got to know how to drive it, also handled well and the Brembo brakes actually worked and I never had a problem with reliability in the year and half I owned it!!

Im not trying to tarnish Subaru name, Ive had 5 Impreza's over 11 years so its not like I dont know what im talking about, but I also know from personal experience that the Impreza is a fast-ish car, handles ok, stops not very well but with a bit of money(to the missus annoyance) you can make it a brilliant all round car!!!

All I was trying to say is that cars like the VXR, ST, RS, Megane RS etc in the right hands are just as quick as the new STi where as 10-14 years ago there would be no chance a Vauxhall, Renault would come close to a Impreza, where as now most hot hatches could worry a Impreza driver!!

Dont worry Im not chopping my modded hawk sti in for a Vauxhall just yet!!

Last edited by scoobyboy1; 22 April 2014 at 10:28 PM.
Old 22 April 2014, 11:15 PM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

Fairs fair wish it could be like the old days to maybe we could all put in to the pot and buy Subaru I've got £10 how's that for a start.
Old 23 April 2014, 01:41 PM
ScottishRayman
Scooby Regular

Failure to deliver an Sti with appropriate engine and neglect to take responsibility and fix those who were loyal only to have piston issues cemented their imagine of not really giving a toss for their customer base - would I buy again.........once they supply a potentially good car with the engine to match the price tag.