blob gearbox limits

Search this Thread

Old 12 April 2014, 03:41 PM
mcfc11
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blob gearbox limits

Hi,
I have just got back into a scoob after a couple of years in a vectra gsi, i have had a few classic impreza’s in the past, but everyone i have had due to the upgrades on them before purchase or mods i have done the gearbox has gone on every classic i have owned.

i have now decided to forget the classic (shame as i love the shape of them) and have gone for a 2003 impreza wrx ppp wagon in mint condition with full history.

My question is what bhp can the standard box on these be rated too before they go the same way of my previous classic’s, just i don’t want to give it to many horses if the gearbox can’t handle them so looking for a safe number to go to without having to spend stupid money on the 6 speed box, i would rather keep the box standard and mod the car to the upper limits of the gearbox.

I’m not sure what bhp difference the ppp extras give but looking at some technical info the standard wrx wagon is running 225bhp,
The car currently has no engine mods and is totally standard apart from the factory fit ppp kit, an sti scoop and sti alloys, I’m looking at putting an sti TMIC on it but apart from this i have no idea what number i m looking for to safely run the box without killing it.

Cheers Steve.
Old 12 April 2014, 03:56 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Old 12 April 2014, 04:05 PM
mcfc11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
350 i thought it would be much lower, any suggestions how to achieve this.
Old 12 April 2014, 04:18 PM
User 21721
Scooby Regular

350 is usually the max you could run the blob gearbox on. For piece of mind I would only mod your car to about 320-330 which is still tons of power and will not stress the engine and gearbox as much. Also how many miles has your car as if it is quite a lot then you may want to stick to 300-310 if you don't want to spend ££££'s on a rebuild and 6 speed. To get there you will need:

Bigger turbo and injectors: VF35, VF34 are pretty good or a SC36 if you don't want to go down the second hand route. 550cc injectors or STi pinks would be suitable.

Exhaust: Either a sports cat or de-cat (3") as the standard application is restrictive.

Panel Filter: K&N, etc. No need for an induction kit.

Upgraded fuel pump: Such as a Walbro 255lph, Scooby Worxs, RCM, etc.

Remap: You can get the original ECU mapped AFAIK without spending lots on a Simtek, etc.

Intercooler: STi intercooler would be the best option IMO although you can get a FMIC it would be a bit pointless at the low 300's.

Hope this helps,

Subaru Collector 555.

Last edited by User 21721; 12 April 2014 at 04:22 PM.
Old 12 April 2014, 04:31 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mcfc11
350 i thought it would be much lower, any suggestions how to achieve this.
There has been quite a few run upto 400 and not break the box but you do have to be mechanically sympathetic. At a glance it would seem as though with your gearbox failure rate mechanical sympathy is not something your familiar with.
Old 12 April 2014, 04:33 PM
mcfc11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Subaru Collector 555
350 is usually the max you could run the blob gearbox on. For piece of mind I would only mod your car to about 320-330 which is still tons of power and will not stress the engine and gearbox as much. Also how many miles has your car as if it is quite a lot then you may want to stick to 300-310 if you don't want to spend ££££'s on a rebuild and 6 speed. To get there you will need:

Bigger turbo and injectors: VF35, VF34 are pretty good or a SC36 if you don't want to go down the second hand route. 550cc injectors or STi pinks would be suitable.

Exhaust: Either a sports cat or de-cat (3") as the standard application is restrictive.

Panel Filter: K&N, etc. No need for an induction kit.

Upgraded fuel pump: Such as a Walbro 255lph, Scooby Worxs, RCM, etc.

Remap: You can get the original ECU mapped AFAIK without spending lots on a Simtek, etc.

Intercooler: STi intercooler would be the best option IMO although you can get a FMIC it would be a bit pointless at the low 300's.

Hope this helps,

Subaru Collector 555.
cheers for the reply,

the car has 90k so will take your advise and keep it to around the 300 mark,
is the prodrive ecu good to remap to that power or is it worth changing it, but the other parts look good to start adding, looking at an sti tmic on fleabay at the moment so a good place to start.

cheers again.
Old 12 April 2014, 04:35 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

No offence pal but if you have broken every gearbox on every impreza you have owned, there is one common denominator there.......the driver!

If you up the power to the limits of the gearbox, you will have to drive with a lot of mechanical sympathy to avoid damaging it.

I am on my 4th impreza, all ran between 260 and 320bhp and not broken a box yet. No hard launches, no sillly speed shifts and serviced them regularly.

They can last as long you drive them properly.

Old 12 April 2014, 04:39 PM
mcfc11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
There has been quite a few run upto 400 and not break the box but you do have to be mechanically sympathetic. At a glance it would seem as though with your gearbox failure rate mechanical sympathy is not something your familiar with.

yes mate,

my previous gearbox history isn't to good which is why i thought i would get some advise first this time

im a old fool who thinks ive still got the boyracer blood in me and i get the young kids in the corsa's/clio's trying to give it a little and my head just go's into idiot mode
Old 12 April 2014, 04:44 PM
mcfc11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gear Head
No offence pal but if you have broken every gearbox on every impreza you have owned, there is one common denominator there.......the driver!

If you up the power to the limits of the gearbox, you will have to drive with a lot of mechanical sympathy to avoid damaging it.

I am on my 4th impreza, all ran between 260 and 320bhp and not broken a box yet. No hard launches, no sillly speed shifts and serviced them regularly.

They can last as long you drive them properly.

no offense taken mate because your right it is me, just got to learn not to bite when ive got some little sh1t3 right up my chuff.
Old 12 April 2014, 04:45 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why should you need to bite to some 17yr old lad in a corsa? lol
Old 12 April 2014, 04:52 PM
mcfc11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JGlanzaV
Why should you need to bite to some 17yr old lad in a corsa? lol

i have anger issues when i get in a car
Old 12 April 2014, 04:53 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It makes your just as bad as the 17yr old lad in the corsa though lol...
Old 12 April 2014, 04:59 PM
mcfc11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JGlanzaV
It makes your just as bad as the 17yr old lad in the corsa though lol...
i know and the wife says exactly the same, she keeps telling me to grow up and my reply is, men never grow up they just get old